Honda Gold Wing Brake Issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Miongell
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Honda Gold Wing Brake Issue

Post by Miongell »

Hello Everyone: Coming back from Estes Park CO, I pulled into a gas station for fuel. Noticed a later model Goldwing pulling a trailer parked near the building. When I went inside to purchase a cold drink, I spoke to the couple, they were from Central Kansas. Turned out they were broke down. Evidently the bikes rear brake locked up on them. The owner indicated the same thing happened a couple of years ago and was fixed under warranty. They were on day 2 of a 10 day trip. Any other GW riders experience anything like this??

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Honda Gold Wing Brake Issue

Post by OldguyGlen »

You don't say year and model, so I can only offer general comments.
There are many reports of brake lockup, particularly on the rear brakes. They nearly always relate to failure of the fluid to return to the MC upon release of the pedal. One cause is internal breakdown of the rubber hose (I personally have witnessed this on automobiles). The inner wall colapses, or internal debris particles block the hose. More likely though, is the blockage in the MC. There is a very tiny hole in the MC where fluid in the cylinder releases back up into the reservoir, located near the relaxed end of the piston travel. This tiny hole is often ignored, in fact sometimes so clogged the owner believes there is no hole drilled there. I personally found this condition on my Wing, but the whole MC was thoroughly corroded from years of sitting, so I don't know that the PO ever had it fail while riding. Do a topic search for photos and comments.
However, your encounter as described suggests a newer Goldwing. Less chance of hose failure. Recent repair under warranty suggests an incomplete cleaning, flushing, inspection, etc. by that technician.
tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Secondary master cylinder and rear brake cylinder recall:
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/gl ... mode=print

Can't seem to locate notice but, I think there was another recall issued that replace the rear master cylinder also.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

You may be searching for this:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reca ... -magazine/

A temporary solution is to relieve the pressure from the top bleed valve (not much needed as I recall) of the rear brake.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Gen 1 GL1800: Does anyone know if the Left Front and Right Front brake pads are identical? I purchased the OEM Pads from Wing Stuff and ordered the OEM Stock Numbers. But it seems by looking that part numbers 06456-MCA-016 (Right Front) and 06455-MCA-016 (Left Front) are exactly the same. I do not want to open the packages if the packages are wrong. I did notice that if I had ordered EBCs both front pads were the same.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The OEM shim location is different. Doesn't apply to aftermarket pads.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Miongell wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:02 am Hello Everyone: Coming back from Estes Park CO, I pulled into a gas station for fuel. Noticed a later model Goldwing pulling a trailer parked near the building. When I went inside to purchase a cold drink, I spoke to the couple, they were from Central Kansas. Turned out they were broke down. Evidently the bikes rear brake locked up on them. The owner indicated the same thing happened a couple of years ago and was fixed under warranty. They were on day 2 of a 10 day trip. Any other GW riders experience anything like this??
Yes ... many 5th gen riders had this issue. You can read all about it in Service Bulletin 23 (SB-23). It is caused from owners not having their brake fluid changed every 12k or 24mths whichever comes first. That Wing sounds like a great example of a brake system that's been seriously neglected, and because of poor maintenance, it is happening again.

Per SB-23 "Honda has determined that under con- ditions where the brake fluid is subject to pro- longed aging due to a lack of maintenance (i.e., the brake fluid is not replaced for a long period of time despite the published mainte- nance schedule of replacement every 12,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first), deposits may form within the brake fluid. If sufficient deposits are formed, they can result in a malfunction of the secondary master cyl- inder, which may cause the rear brake to drag."

You can read all about it in the link below. The Wing at issue again needs a serious rear brake fluid flush.

http://www.justwings.com/uploads/SB-23_ ... cement.pdf
Terry D

Post by Terry D »

I think Honda is making false statements. I've had cars and bikes with 100k miles without changing brake fluid. My 1500 went 112k without a change my silverado went 10 yrs and 57k before I changed all fluids no matter what it was. My 01 1800 had 47k and 5 yrs before It was run over. If you have a sealed system, no leaks, moisture can not enter which is in the air because air can not get into the system if bled out correctly. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
Terry D

Post by Terry D »

If the rear brake locked up, then stick a screw driver in between the pads and rotor and move the pistons back. That will allow the bike to roll enough to get to a Dealer.
Terry D

Post by Terry D »

It is also my opinion that the material in the making of the brake pistons and housing is wrong and the tolerance is too close causing friction as they move and friction is heat which also is provided by pads on rotors during a stop. And, maybe these drivers are without knowing riding the brakes.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Some brakes are sealed systems with diaphragms in the caps, and the fluid stays great in them for decades. While others (especially with plastic reservoirs) use vents so air is drawn in everytime you use the brakes. The fluid goes black in a matter of months and should be changed often.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Terry D wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 am I think Honda is making false statements. I've had cars and bikes with 100k miles without changing brake fluid. My 1500 went 112k without a change my silverado went 10 yrs and 57k before I changed all fluids no matter what it was. My 01 1800 had 47k and 5 yrs before It was run over. If you have a sealed system, no leaks, moisture can not enter which is in the air because air can not get into the system if bled out correctly. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Great points, but unfortunately you are using examples of other vehicles. They are not all the same. For example, the tires on my 69 Corvette equipped with a 427 w/dual quads gets 10,000 miles per set, but my Honda Accord gets 55,000 per set .... WTF !!!