2009 alternator drive gear


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Post Reply
allyda511@gmail.com
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500
2005 Harley vrod

2009 alternator drive gear

Post by allyda511@gmail.com » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am



Does anyone know why Honda uses their short life alternator drive gear disaster? Not interested in a because but a genuine engineering reason. Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct? $500 for a part that will fail again doesn't make sense!



User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by newday777 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:04 am

A failed one on a 2009?? That's a first for me to here of. 2001-2005 yes lots failed. 2006 and up honda changed them.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)
Contact:

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 am

allyda511@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am
Does anyone know why Honda uses their short life alternator drive gear disaster? Not interested in a because but a genuine engineering reason. Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct? $500 for a part that will fail again doesn't make sense!
"Does anyone know why Honda uses their short life alternator drive gear disaster?" Yes ... because there is no room for fan belts, so they use a "drive dampener" to keep the alternator shaft from breaking in half.

"Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct?" Yes ... a guy in the UK tried that, and because it then had no dampening, the alternator shaft sheered in half.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by newday777 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 am




"Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct?" Yes ... a guy in the UK tried that, and because it then had no dampening, the alternator shaft sheered in half.
What year was this UK bike?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20734
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:44 pm

The output of a gas engine is not rotation. It's a series of incredibly powerful pulses, as each cylinder fires off. Coupling this directly into gears and mechanical devices is an excellent way to have those devices fail.

Couple it directly into an alternator, and the pulses will break apart the alternator or shear the shaft.

Couple it directly into the driveshaft and final drive, and the final drive will shear hypoid gear teeth off. That's why the shaft drives of all Goldwings have springs in them, that allow the shaft to compress against the spring to absorb the pulses.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)
Contact:

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:30 am

newday777 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am
GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 am




"Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct?" Yes ... a guy in the UK tried that, and because it then had no dampening, the alternator shaft sheered in half.
What year was this UK bike?
I don't recall, but since most ADG problems are from 2001-05 it was most likely during those years.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by newday777 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 am

allyda511@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am
Does anyone know why Honda uses their short life alternator drive gear disaster? Not interested in a because but a genuine engineering reason. Has anyone tried welding the thing and running it direct? $500 for a part that will fail again doesn't make sense!
Welcome to the forum allyda511
Do you have a failed 2009 alternator drive gear?

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am

It went in my 06 at approx 190000 miles. I saved a ton of cash by stripping the bike myself, leaving the engine in the frame for Honda to pull and do their thing.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)
Contact:

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am
It went in my 06 at approx 190000 miles. I saved a ton of cash by stripping the bike myself, leaving the engine in the frame for Honda to pull and do their thing.
What were your symptoms ???

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:25 pm

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:03 pm
Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am
It went in my 06 at approx 190000 miles. I saved a ton of cash by stripping the bike myself, leaving the engine in the frame for Honda to pull and do their thing.
What were your symptoms ???
Hi Greg. I could hear a growling rumbling noise only when I came to a stop. Not all that loud but enough to irritate me. Ha!
So listening carefully around while it idled it was obvious the noise was coming from in front of the alternator.
The mechanic at Honda said yep thats it.
Sorta disappointing it failed as I don't abuse the bike. I'm no ricky racer and don't wheelie it and have always done oil
changes on time or a bit early. I'm sure the factory service manual oil schematic shows it get a flow of oil if I recall right.
Anyway my major concern was it would start spitting metal shaving into the engine or would come apart like a clutch at the drag strip.
Yikes!
But he no that wont happen.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)
Contact:

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 am

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:25 pm
GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:03 pm
Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 am
It went in my 06 at approx 190000 miles. I saved a ton of cash by stripping the bike myself, leaving the engine in the frame for Honda to pull and do their thing.
What were your symptoms ???
Hi Greg. I could hear a growling rumbling noise only when I came to a stop. Not all that loud but enough to irritate me. Ha!
So listening carefully around while it idled it was obvious the noise was coming from in front of the alternator.
The mechanic at Honda said yep thats it.
Sorta disappointing it failed as I don't abuse the bike. I'm no ricky racer and don't wheelie it and have always done oil
changes on time or a bit early. I'm sure the factory service manual oil schematic shows it get a flow of oil if I recall right.
Anyway my major concern was it would start spitting metal shaving into the engine or would come apart like a clutch at the drag strip.
Yikes!
But he no that wont happen.
All 2006-17 5th gens have ADG noise. Some are noisier than others, and some occur when cold while others when the oil is hot, while others have it all the time. Usually the grumble is heard at idle. All of what I just described is normal, and determining what is not normal can be challenging. It can also change with new/old oil and various weights.

The main clue is that the noise does not get louder over time. Since the "normal noise range is so wide" the problem with replacing an ADG with another, especially if it was miss diagnosed as being bad, is that the one being installed might even be noisier then the one being removed.

Was your new ADG quieter ???

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: 2009 alternator drive gear

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:32 am

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 am
Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:25 pm
GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:03 pm


What were your symptoms ???
Hi Greg. I could hear a growling rumbling noise only when I came to a stop. Not all that loud but enough to irritate me. Ha!
So listening carefully around while it idled it was obvious the noise was coming from in front of the alternator.
The mechanic at Honda said yep thats it.
Sorta disappointing it failed as I don't abuse the bike. I'm no ricky racer and don't wheelie it and have always done oil
changes on time or a bit early. I'm sure the factory service manual oil schematic shows it get a flow of oil if I recall right.
Anyway my major concern was it would start spitting metal shaving into the engine or would come apart like a clutch at the drag strip.
Yikes!
But he no that wont happen.
All 2006-17 5th gens have ADG noise. Some are noisier than others, and some occur when cold while others when the oil is hot, while others have it all the time. Usually the grumble is heard at idle. All of what I just described is normal, and determining what is not normal can be challenging. It can also change with new/old oil and various weights.

The main clue is that the noise does not get louder over time. Since the "normal noise range is so wide" the problem with replacing an ADG with another, especially if it was miss diagnosed as being bad, is that the one being installed might even be noisier then the one being removed.

Was your new ADG quieter ???
Ive had this bike since it was in the box and never ever heard, to my level of notice, any noise from that area hot or cold. Then suddenly one day, pulled into a parking lot and there it was!?!
Since it was replaced I am 100% happy with how my bike sounds. Believe me I'm not just saying that.



Post Reply