noise /maybe alternator

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
go1dwing
Motorcycle: Goldwing 05 1800

noise /maybe alternator

Post by go1dwing »

My 05 has 70,000 miles. On startup it always made a clanking noise then subsided. Now even when warmed up it makes the noise. It goes away when driving but in idle returns. I do smell a rubber like a tire burning when I stop. Not an electrical or oil or clutch burning smell. I have listened to vids on adg noise and it's not quite like that, at least not yet. What's inside the housing that the alternator slides into? My 1500's had rubber spacers in the alternator end shaft. In the 1800 are there rubber spacers in that unit the alternator slips into? Appreciate any help.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: noise /maybe alternator

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

go1dwing wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:12 pm My 05 has 70,000 miles. On startup it always made a clanking noise then subsided. Now even when warmed up it makes the noise. It goes away when driving but in idle returns. I do smell a rubber like a tire burning when I stop. Not an electrical or oil or clutch burning smell. I have listened to vids on adg noise and it's not quite like that, at least not yet. What's inside the housing that the alternator slides into? My 1500's had rubber spacers in the alternator end shaft. In the 1800 are there rubber spacers in that unit the alternator slips into? Appreciate any help.
You are probably correct with your statement "at least not yet." On 5th gens, there are no rubber parts in an ADG (alternator drive gear). The ADG is all mechanical and lubricated with oil. Springs are what dampen and not rubber. Your rubber smell is probably from a grommet trapped against the header, or fuel/coolant over-fill-hoses that are incorrectly routed and laying against the header.