Engine protection plate

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
murr57
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Engine protection plate

Post by murr57 »

I'm new to the site having recently traded my VTX1300 for a 2005GL1800A. I've been trying to research as much as I can about maintaining my new ride. I'm wondering how many of you believe the engine plate that attaches under the engine is important? 10 years on my VTX and the most I ever noticed kicked up on my radiator was dirt and mud but nothing large enough to damage the rad. Is the GL engine that exposed to possible damage?

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Engine protection plate

Post by Ghostman »

I thought about it long and hard when I first bought mine. What I wound up doing instead is I bought some aluminum and made a cover for the bottom of the overflow tank for the coolant. With all of the wings on the road and over all of the years you hear very few stories about issues from road debris. Thw way I look at it the oil filter is behind the cowl but the overflow tank is plastic and it wouldnt take much to hole it.
murr57

Post by murr57 »

Thanks. You have to love how the manufacturer makes it sound like it's an absolute necessity, but then again that's how advertising works. Love to hear ideas from others.
freedomrunner
Motorcycle: 2017 Goldwing Trike

2017 Goldwing trike

Post by freedomrunner »

Congratulations on your new bike. Curious why you want to remove it? When I am faced with a question like this, I ask myself, “ how expensive can removing it cost me and how upset will I be that I caused the problem”. Basically, how does the benefits of removing the plate compare to the potential problems.

Larry
murr57

Post by murr57 »

Thanks for your input, Larry. Maybe I misled you; I don't presently have the guard on my bike, but was wondering if riders here in general thought the guards were necessary.
freedomrunner
Motorcycle: 2017 Goldwing Trike

2017 Goldwing trike

Post by freedomrunner »

Ah, got you now. Sorry for the confusion.
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

I believe you are talking about a belly pan cover. They are cheap (under $55.00) and that's shipped to your home. Installation takes less than 20 minutes, you can't see it on the bike. You want a 2 piece for access to the oil filter. Good luck.

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
murr57

Post by murr57 »

Yep, that's exactly the part I'm interested in hearing about. Do you have one on your bike and feel it's necessary or just an extra precaution? That's the opinion I'm looking for. Thanks.
Doug
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I have it and I think it provides some much-needed debris protection.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Post by baumedagn »

I have one on my 2012 as well. It does offer protection for the bottom of the engine and overflow tank. I've also heard tell that it helps in a cross wind with stability. I put mine on shortly after I bought the bike to I can't attest to that however.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

I have one on my 2012. It is more for extra protection. I have run over a few things and there are some scuff marks and small dents on mine. There are a few people that have had rocks hit the bottom of the motor and crack the case. Not many compared to how many wings that are out there, but it has happened.

If you are just going to ride the bike around where you live, you will be fine without it. A lot of cross country trips, I would get one just for the extra protection.
murr57

Post by murr57 »

Thanks to everyone for your input. Seems to be a good idea if just for peace of mind. I have read of some minor concerns such as the screws being able to come loose, or the opposite, rust into place. I was also interested when one reviewer wrote about some damage to the pan when he tried to raise his bike on his jack for maintenance. I'm hoping to find a nearby Canadian supplier; the cost of shipping on many sites is nearly 50% of the purchase price. Thanks again.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

murr57 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 am I'm new to the site having recently traded my VTX1300 for a 2005GL1800A. I've been trying to research as much as I can about maintaining my new ride. I'm wondering how many of you believe the engine plate that attaches under the engine is important? 10 years on my VTX and the most I ever noticed kicked up on my radiator was dirt and mud but nothing large enough to damage the rad. Is the GL engine that exposed to possible damage?
I believe you are referring to a belly pan. I do GL1800 repair and have thus far replace 5 engine cases due to punctures. Of those 5, 3 had belly pans.
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin »

Belly Pan --- I have one on my GL1800 2002 -- My son does not have one on his 2003

I painted mine Black before installing it - personal preference

After 30K + now I have noticed it is dinged and scratched from road debris -
No major dents or big hits that I know of..

I have herd stories about the coolant reservoir getting hit and a hole punched in
And heard stories about the oil filter getting cracked open too.

In order to try to avoid being a story -- I installed the belly pan.

Now I ride around with no worries about these things.

Some will say it causes over heating because of a lack of air flow to the underside of the engine --

The bike is liquid cooled and I have never seen this being a problem.

The ONLY problem I ever have experienced is the road grime that collects on and in the belly pan -
When I change oil there is a bit of extra cleaning to do -- and I don't remove the pan ever oil change --
So it collects a bit of dirt under there -- but I ride in the rain so I hope it washes out..

Need one ? Your choice -

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Munk's Maxim -- There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am
I believe you are referring to a belly pan. I do GL1800 repair and have thus far replace 5 engine cases due to punctures. Of those 5, 3 had belly pans.
Here's a case that's sitting in my office. It was punctured by a 1/2" combo wrench made in China. It belly pan enveloped and trapped the wrench.
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:42 pm
Here's a case that's sitting in my office. It was punctured by a 1/2" combo wrench made in China. It belly pan enveloped and trapped the wrench.
Greg, did the wrench get lodged there while on the road and the case get cracked while riding?
Or, did the wrench get there by unknown means and the case get cracked when the bike was lifted from the bottom of the engine?

I would suspect the latter rather than the former. Something had to press the wrench into the case either by compression or hard contact.

I'd surmise that the wrench belonged to a friendly mechanic that dropped it and couldn't find it. Then the bike was either jacked up or it contacted a "speed bump" on the road and that caused the case intrusion. Those cases are pretty thin.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

MikeB wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:56 pm
GoldWingrGreg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:42 pm
Greg, did the wrench get lodged there while on the road and the case get cracked while riding?
Or, did the wrench get there by unknown means and the case get cracked when the bike was lifted from the bottom of the engine?

I would suspect the latter rather than the former. Something had to press the wrench into the case either by compression or hard contact.

I'd surmise that the wrench belonged to a friendly mechanic that dropped it and couldn't find it. Then the bike was either jacked up or it contacted a "speed bump" on the road and that caused the case intrusion. Those cases are pretty thin.
The 5 repairs I'm referring to were all "road hazards" and were cover by the owners' insurance policies. I believe it is compressive that covers hitting something.

Below are my "Indiana Jones" crates that older case halves come in. Believe it or not, Honda ships engine cases for newer years in a cardboard box with delicate metal edges hanging out. I don't keep those. Eventually the India Jones crates will become end tables in a waiting area.
Attachments

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Wow, that is a huge hole in the bottom of that engine case. In all my years of riding, I have some debris, but nothing to cause a hole like that. I have a belly pan cover, and believe it may save my engine/overflow bottle some day. For $55 I'll give it a try, some protection is better than none!

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
eagle1wing
Motorcycle: 2012 CL1800 Gold Wing

Post by eagle1wing »

I can attest to the value of a belly pan. I had an aluminum pan on my 2012 Wing. While riding in Idaho I ran over a rock that I did not see. It hit the belly pan, punched through it and cracked the engine block. If there had been no belly pan the rock would have penetrated the engine block, oil would have covered the back tire and I would have been on the ground. Insurance paid the repair under my collision coverage. It was over $7000. The entire engine block, gears and seals have to be replace once cracked. I have since installed a stainless steel belly pan. My only incident in 22 years of touring and that is enough!
hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus »

murr57 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 am Thanks to everyone for your input. Seems to be a good idea if just for peace of mind. I have read of some minor concerns such as the screws being able to come loose, or the opposite, rust into place. I was also interested when one reviewer wrote about some damage to the pan when he tried to raise his bike on his jack for maintenance. I'm hoping to find a nearby Canadian supplier; the cost of shipping on many sites is nearly 50% of the purchase price. Thanks again.
I hear you on the shipping costs. We (our store) save a lot of money by having a US post drop in Port Huron. Shipping to a US address is not too bad, but to Canada $$$$$.

Each package costs us $5 and that plus the gas to get there and back (we live in Cambridge) is still saving on having it shipped to us in Canada.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676
rtdder
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by rtdder »

The belly pan I have seen is a very light gauge. Would a thicker gauge or 'supplement/reinforcement' not help prevent some of these punctures?
ptilford
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by ptilford »

I experienced a near catastrophe after hitting a chunk of blacktop debris from a road construction area. This chunk was almost invisible, being the same coloration, and contact was hard and loud. My bike was unbalanced for a couple of seconds and after slowing I pulled over to assess any damage. The oil filter was damaged, having a deep impact area but was not leaking oil. I changed the filter soon but decided I could use some protection and so installed the two piece pan system. About 30,000 miles later the pan works as intended, many small impacts can be seen and the cooling has never been an issue. I was concerned about the cooling as I live in southern Arizona. No cooling problems and my temp gauge has never moved from it's prior position.
Good Luck to all.
Owsley
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by Owsley »

I installed an aluminum belly pan right before the IBR. Easy to install and access the bottom for an oil change.
Somewhere on the rode, "something" big hit the bottom. I never saw it before or after hitting it, don't know what it was. It put a large deep dent in the pan. Turned out to be a good investment.
emwarrenfeltz
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Goldwing, 2020 Goldwing Tour

Post by emwarrenfeltz »

I have one of the MacGyver belly pans on my 2013 Goldwing. I installed it several years ago just as an extra layer of protection for the bottom of the engine and coolant tank. There is an article on the Goldwingdocs forum about this belly pan: viewtopic.php?t=38889

The MacGyver belly pan is two piece with the front piece easily removable to access the oil filter and drain plug made of aluminum diamond plate. I modified my fasteners for safety wire so the bolts could not come loose, just in case.

I have noticed several scraps and marks on the bottom side but not sure from what. I think it is a good addition for that extra level of protection especially if you ride by yourself or take extended trips on the back roads where services are not always available.
cymru
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 comfort navi

Post by cymru »

Just my experience: I had imported my 2006 to Spain and gone through the long expensive process to get it on the road. On the road back home and 100 km into the journey I ran over a piece of metal that split the oil filter and dumped all the oil all over the underside and rear tire.

After that I have used a belly pan. I notice when I take it off for an oil change, I usually need to straighten it out a bit, so it’s doing something.