High pitched whine in the radio/electronics, need suggestions

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

High pitched whine in the radio/electronics, need suggestions

Post by M61A1MECH »

I recently sold a plug and play trailer harness set up I make, to a rider on a 2017 Goldwing. After the install he tells me he has a high pitched whine in the radio/electronics that goes up and down with the throttle. I have sold literally hundreds of these setups to riders on all sorts of bikes and have never had this issue before. I have suggested that he verify his grounds are all solid, if they are then I told him to pull the fuse that powers the isolator to see if the issue goes away, also suggested he could as an experiment wrap the isolator in aluminum foil to create a faraday cage to see if it cures or lessens the the issue.

The schematic for the set up is attached, I am all ears looking for ideas as to what may be the issue. I am waiting for his reply as to the fault finding I suggested.

Could be a bad electronic part inside the isolator that is breaking down or maybe I have inadvertently created a ground loop with the bike harness tied to the ground on the isolator, but I have always wired the harnesses this way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: High pitched whine in the radio/electronics, need suggestions

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I think your method for fault finding is correct. It might be better to just mail him another harness assembly, or credit him back his money, and move on to another customer. His issue may have everything to do with his particular audio-helmet setup. Many GW owners have noise suppression devises inline with their audio cord. The link below sells at least one.

https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... /goldwing/
Last edited by GoldWingrGreg on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:09 am
I think your method for fault finding is correct. It might be better to just mail him another harness assembly, or credit him back his money, and move on to another customer. His issue may have everything to do with his particular audio-helmet setup, and nothing to do with your harness.

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

Thanks Greg, I am still waiting on a reply to the initial trouble shooting, if nothing works I will offer to send a new isolator to him that has a modification where he can unplug one leg of the ground circuit that may be creating a ground loop if necessary. I will have him send the first isolator back I can sell it to someone that does not have a radio on their bike. If al else fails I will authorize a return for credit.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

mrbill21
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 GoldWing

Post by mrbill21 »

Steve, could it just be the routing of a wire too near something? I know that can happen.

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

I thought about that also, but as today the customer has not comeback with any additional information or feed back on troubleshooting results, so I am just in a wait and see mode , no news is good news so to say.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

That is a wiring diagram not a schematic. Without knowing what is inside the device there is no way to figure out what could be generating EMI. Bad suppression capacitor on a mechanical relay, sold state relay, or bad diode come to mind. And of course any kind of micro control as these are all the rage.

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

Rambozo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:31 am
That is a wiring diagram not a schematic. Without knowing what is inside the device there is no way to figure out what could be generating EMI. Bad suppression capacitor on a mechanical relay, sold state relay, or bad diode come to mind. And of course any kind of micro control as these are all the rage.
Yes you are correct wiring diagram, I have no way to know what is going on inside the "black box" that houses the isolator and switching circuits, I still have not heard back from my customer, but if I do and he has not found the issue, I am willing to replace the "black box" to see if that corrects his issue. I am fairly certain it has solid state relays for switching, when I bench test the system before shipping I never hear mechanical relays clicking.
Thanks for the clarification.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

I'm sorry, I kinda misread your post. I see where you said you make the harness, and took that for the whole thing. It sounds like you are doing great customer service, which unfortunately getting rare these day. Keep up the good work.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

M61A1MECH wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:24 am
Thanks Greg, I am still waiting on a reply to the initial trouble shooting, if nothing works I will offer to send a new isolator to him that has a modification where he can unplug one leg of the ground circuit that may be creating a ground loop if necessary. I will have him send the first isolator back I can sell it to someone that does not have a radio on their bike. If al else fails I will authorize a return for credit.
There are no real components in the isolator - it's just a box of relays. Generally speaking, a whine like you're describing is usually attributable to a ground loop, but lifting the ground leg of the isolator will cause the isolator not to work, because the relay coils inside it need a ground in order to operate.

If adding the isolator causes the whine, and removing it fixes it, the problem is likely a bad ground elsewhere in the bike, and the isolator pushes the problem enough to the forefront that it is now noticeable in the headphones.

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:29 pm
There are no real components in the isolator - it's just a box of relays. Generally speaking, a whine like you're describing is usually attributable to a ground loop, but lifting the ground leg of the isolator will cause the isolator not to work, because the relay coils inside it need a ground in order to operate.
If adding the isolator causes the whine, and removing it fixes it, the problem is likely a bad ground elsewhere in the bike, and the isolator pushes the problem enough to the forefront that it is now noticeable in the headphones.
Thanks for the insight.
If you look at the wiring diagram, you will see where I bugged the ground circuit going through the C41 connector to the "A" connectors to the battery ground that the isolator needs to work. My thought was to remove the ground from the "A" connector, the isolator will still work and the trailer lights should also work. My thought is maybe there is a slight difference in potential between the two ground points causing an issue. I changed the design by removing the solder joint at the ground and adding a 1 x 2 bullet connector and single bullets on each leg so the grounds can be separated to facilitate the troubleshooting.

I have not heard anymore from my customer, but I am ready if he comes back with more questions.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL