Electrical question for 2009 abs comfort navi

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Mzomaxrph
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Electrical question for 2009 abs comfort navi

Post by Mzomaxrph »

I don’t post much but always appreciate everyone’s help when I do. Recently my flashers and dash indicator lights are not flashing when I use the key fob to lock/unlock my bike. All these lights do work when I turn on my signals so I know the lights are functional and not a fuse for the light either. I thought that maybe it was a battery problem since my battery was over 6 years old which is when I replaced it the first time so I put in a new battery and it did not resolve the issue. I looked at the fuses but did not see a fuse indicated for just flashers. All the fuses I did pull looked normal. Another quirk is that when I start up the bike that sometimes but not always, the Navi activation button does not work. If I turn off then back on the radio then the Navi controls work normal again. Any thoughts on what I need to trouble shoot? Does the 1800 have relays like the 1500’s do?

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Electrical question for 2009 abs comfort navi

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Year is always helpful ???
browndogg
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800

Post by browndogg »

Read the heading its an 09
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am I don’t post much but always appreciate everyone’s help when I do. Recently my flashers and dash indicator lights are not flashing when I use the key fob to lock/unlock my bike. All these lights do work when I turn on my signals so I know the lights are functional and not a fuse for the light either. I thought that maybe it was a battery problem since my battery was over 6 years old which is when I replaced it the first time so I put in a new battery and it did not resolve the issue. I looked at the fuses but did not see a fuse indicated for just flashers. All the fuses I did pull looked normal. Another quirk is that when I start up the bike that sometimes but not always, the Navi activation button does not work. If I turn off then back on the radio then the Navi controls work normal again. Any thoughts on what I need to trouble shoot? Does the 1800 have relays like the 1500’s do?
The loss of the trunk lock indicators is usually a broken wire in the harness that passes by the right side trunk hinge. It’s a pink/white wire that runs from the trunk lock control unit in the trunk lid to the reverse regulator assembly in the frame hole to the rear of the starter relays. Breakage at the hinge area is a very common issue with this wire and many others in that harness at this location.
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Thanks Techdude2000. I will check that out this weekend. As I am a pharmacist, I am fortunate enough to be able to still be working so I will not be able to check it out till then but will report what I find out this weekend.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:42 pm Thanks Techdude2000. I will check that out this weekend. As I am a pharmacist, I am fortunate enough to be able to still be working so I will not be able to check it out till then but will report what I find out this weekend.
Cool, my employer is closed so I have too much time on my hands. Stay safe.
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Ok, so I checked all the wiring today and did not see anything out of order. I looked under the seat as well as took apart the tour box top and checked out the wiring to the trunk lock. All connections looked good. The manual said it may be a diode but I don’t know how to test that. I did not mention earlier that the call button does not activate the horn and lights also but the horn works fine when activated directly. My father-in-law gave me a multimeter but I don’t know how to use it to test continuity or the diode which is what the manual is telling me to do. Any suggestions? I hate to take it to the dealership and pay $100 to get a $5 or $10 part replaced. Of course, if it comes to that I will do it.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:25 pm Ok, so I checked all the wiring today and did not see anything out of order. I looked under the seat as well as took apart the tour box top and checked out the wiring to the trunk lock. All connections looked good. The manual said it may be a diode but I don’t know how to test that. I did not mention earlier that the call button does not activate the horn and lights also but the horn works fine when activated directly. My father-in-law gave me a multimeter but I don’t know how to use it to test continuity or the diode which is what the manual is telling me to do. Any suggestions? I hate to take it to the dealership and pay $100 to get a $5 or $10 part replaced. Of course, if it comes to that I will do it.
Did you unwrap the harness at the right side trunk hinge? This is where the wires usually break from the harness flexing with the trunk lid opening and closing. You won’t be able to see the breaks unless you unwrap it at the hinge area.
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

No but I will give that a try next.
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Well, you were exactly right, Techdude2000! I hope the picture I am trying to post comes through. I have never posted a picture. It shows that not only are four wires completely worn through but that several other wires are on the verge of breaking soon. How do you suggest fixing this. Since there are so many, would it be wises to replace the harness in this section, if that’s possible. Or should I just fix them back up with electric tape or heat shrink and put it all back together?
Attachments

Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Yea! My picture did post. I also meant to ask what gauge wire this would be since I will have to order some of the heat shrink wrap if that is what you suggest.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Man, what a total design flaw.

I think if you search for this issue you'll find some retrofits where people re-route those wires so they don't bend quite so severely?
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Well, I am not surprised about this. If you think about it, every time you go some where you open and close the trunk, open and close when you get there, open and close when you leave, and open and close when you get back home. Over the course of 11 years and 128K miles, that adds up. I am surprised I didn’t run into problems with this several years earlier. My concern is that fixing this is going to cause a larger bulk in the harness right where the problem is at its worst. So what is the best way to fix this?
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Thanks you guys. Techdude2000 helped me diagnose the problem correctly. Tamathumper reminded me to search the forum for additional fixes by others. After searching and reading what others have done, I decided to get a new harness from MrCycles.com. With shipping it was only a little over $60 which only breaks down to about $5 a year if it lasts me as long as the first one did. LOL. I felt it would be the best thing to do since seeing the amount of damage there was to multiple wires. Hopefully I can figure out how to install it correctly. Anybody know if there is a YouTube video for this?
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm My concern is that fixing this is going to cause a larger bulk in the harness right where the problem is at its worst. So what is the best way to fix this?
Here is a photo from a guy over on GL1800Riders forum, hope it helps.
This is a somewhat common issue as the bikes get older, really poor execution of harness routing by Honda.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm Thanks you guys. Techdude2000 helped me diagnose the problem correctly. Tamathumper reminded me to search the forum for additional fixes by others. After searching and reading what others have done, I decided to get a new harness from MrCycles.com. With shipping it was only a little over $60 which only breaks down to about $5 a year if it lasts me as long as the first one did. LOL. I felt it would be the best thing to do since seeing the amount of damage there was to multiple wires. Hopefully I can figure out how to install it correctly. Anybody know if there is a YouTube video for this?
Glad you found the issue, sorry I wasn’t online earlier, but I see you’ve found the best repair by replacing the harness. Splicing it would work for awhile, but they will break again and usually even sooner. You will need to remove your seat to replace the harness. Take your time and consider rerouting it so the bends aren’t so severe at the hinge.
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Ok, so don’t laugh, but it took me almost 6 hours. The end result was that I was successful! Everything works like it is supposed to. I did not try any fancy rerouting of the harness. I will probably stop by my honda dealership and ask my mechanic to check on my work. Part of my time was waisted because I had such a hard time following the harness and thought it had gone under the trunk so I removed the rear fender and dropped the amplifier down only to find I was looking at a different harness, the trunk/saddlebags sub harness. After putting that back together, I decided to get brave and move multiple harnesses out of my way so I could follow the correct one and access it. I took my time like you suggested and thought about the correct way to route it and then things went fairly smoothly. Got to say, it put a big smile on my face after reconnecting the battery and testing it successfully. :)
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:56 pm Ok, so don’t laugh, but it took me almost 6 hours. The end result was that I was successful! Everything works like it is supposed to. I did not try any fancy rerouting of the harness. I will probably stop by my honda dealership and ask my mechanic to check on my work. Part of my time was waisted because I had such a hard time following the harness and thought it had gone under the trunk so I removed the rear fender and dropped the amplifier down only to find I was looking at a different harness, the trunk/saddlebags sub harness. After putting that back together, I decided to get brave and move multiple harnesses out of my way so I could follow the correct one and access it. I took my time like you suggested and thought about the correct way to route it and then things went fairly smoothly. Got to say, it put a big smile on my face after reconnecting the battery and testing it successfully. :)
Hey, I’m proud of you sticking with it. A lot of folks would just take it to the dealer and pay big $$$ to get it repaired. There’s a special feeling that comes over a person when they accomplish something like this, especially when it’s something they normally don’t deal with on a daily basis. Good Job!
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

Thanks. I was overwhelmed initially and did call the dealership for a quote when I first got into it. They said the mechanic was tied up on a service and would call me back. I went ahead and called a different dealership I don’t usually use and they gave me a quote of $300-350. I got out my service manual and did some old fashioned studying. My regular dealership never called me back so I thought, well I know I can do this, I will just have to keep at it until I get it done. You are also right about that feeling you get when accomplishing something like this.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 am Thanks. I was overwhelmed initially and did call the dealership for a quote when I first got into it. They said the mechanic was tied up on a service and would call me back. I went ahead and called a different dealership I don’t usually use and they gave me a quote of $300-350. I got out my service manual and did some old fashioned studying. My regular dealership never called me back so I thought, well I know I can do this, I will just have to keep at it until I get it done. You are also right about that feeling you get when accomplishing something like this.
Congrats on the job accomplished. Well done.
I'm sorry I wasn't on much last month as I went through the same thing a couple years ago on my 08 at about 90,000 miles. I ended up repairing the harness by staggering the solder joints of the splices, cutting and splicing in longer pieces of replacement wire on the next wire, solder and heat shrink to put each successive splice in a different location so not to have a big wade of splices in the same spot. I also rerouted the harness away from the hinge some, put on an 8"-10" piece of wire loom flexible sheath in the hinge area and used zip ties to locate it where I wanted it.
I too felt good at the end of it all when it worked correctly.
That area is also a known breakage point of speaker harness pinches from the hinges. I've repaired a few of those in the past 10 years on friends bikes.
Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 »

Glad you figured it out and was able to fix it. Guess I am lucky I have a GL1500 without wires running out of trunk.
MarkSki
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by MarkSki »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm Thanks you guys. Techdude2000 helped me diagnose the problem correctly. Tamathumper reminded me to search the forum for additional fixes by others. After searching and reading what others have done, I decided to get a new harness from MrCycles.com. With shipping it was only a little over $60 which only breaks down to about $5 a year if it lasts me as long as the first one did. LOL. I felt it would be the best thing to do since seeing the amount of damage there was to multiple wires. Hopefully I can figure out how to install it correctly. Anybody know if there is a YouTube video for this?
Which harness did you buy from MrCycles? Looking at his site there are several. #9 looks in the price range that you reported and it looks like it is for 4 lights or other things...
Mzomaxrph

Post by Mzomaxrph »

It was part #9. The price was somewhere around $50 with a shipping fee of about $12 which may vary according to where they have to ship it to. Total cost was about $62.00. I googled the part number from that site and found it listed from Amazon as well as a few other places but the end price was as good or better than the others. I went with Mrcycles.com because that is where someone else on this forum had bought it.
MarkSki
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by MarkSki »

Mzomaxrph wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:43 pm It was part #9. The price was somewhere around $50 with a shipping fee of about $12 which may vary according to where they have to ship it to. Total cost was about $62.00. I googled the part number from that site and found it listed from Amazon as well as a few other places but the end price was as good or better than the others. I went with Mrcycles.com because that is where someone else on this forum had bought it.
Thanks! Everything works when I press the lock or unlock buttons on the FOB except the horn. The lights flash when locked or unlocked but no horn when I'm trying to find the bike in a large parking lot. When I have the time I'm going to order that harness and give it a try. I have a few things that I have to instal. I have all of the parts but at times, not a lot of ambition. Hardware to reinforce the top lid of the trunk, new spark plugs, new belly pan. But being retired I don't have anywhere that I have to be at any special time. With this "lockdown" there's no place that I can go anyway.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

MarkSki wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 pm
Mzomaxrph wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:43 pm It was part #9. The price was somewhere around $50 with a shipping fee of about $12 which may vary according to where they have to ship it to. Total cost was about $62.00. I googled the part number from that site and found it listed from Amazon as well as a few other places but the end price was as good or better than the others. I went with Mrcycles.com because that is where someone else on this forum had bought it.
Thanks! Everything works when I press the lock or unlock buttons on the FOB except the horn. The lights flash when locked or unlocked but no horn when I'm trying to find the bike in a large parking lot. When I have the time I'm going to order that harness and give it a try. I have a few things that I have to instal. I have all of the parts but at times, not a lot of ambition. Hardware to reinforce the top lid of the trunk, new spark plugs, new belly pan. But being retired I don't have anywhere that I have to be at any special time. With this "lockdown" there's no place that I can go anyway.
Are you holding the button for 2 seconds? If it won’t work with the 2 second press, then the solid pink wire is probably broken.