Goldwing front speakers

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
mudslinger
Motorcycle: 1998 honda goldwing 1500 gl se

Goldwing front speakers

Post by mudslinger »

I had purchased the Polk audio db651 for front speaker replacement on my 2008 goldwing airbag GPS model. Seams they are supposed to fit but not mine is that due to airbag GPS model. Only modification would be the mirror mount bracket. Any suggestions?

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Goldwing front speakers

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

It has nothing to do with yours being and airbag model. They don't fit so modifications must be done. Some will take a Dremel to the speaker frame/plate while others will take one to the visor and cluster lens.
mudslinger

Post by mudslinger »

Think I will buy a pair that fit. I dont care for either of those options. People actually grind the cluster plastic lens? As for the metal bracket that's thin already. Any suggestions for a pair that fit and are quality?
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

mudslinger wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:54 pm Think I will buy a pair that fit. I dont care for either of those options. People actually grind the cluster plastic lens? As for the metal bracket that's thin already. Any suggestions for a pair that fit and are quality?
I have the Polk's and they sound great. However, like all outdoor speakers their sound degrades over time. Unfortunately, the best sounding speakers over the longest period of time are OEM ones. Remember how great they sounded when leaving the showroom ??? If you are after aftermarket speakers that are more affordable and bolt right in, try J&Ms.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I changed the rears on my bike, but had purchased 4 DB501's to fit, and found that they only fit the rear, so at that time I only did the rear. They sound good, but I found that it required more power to drive them than the OEM ones did. That said, I was not as pleased with them as I had hoped to be. As Greg mentioned, the best sounding speakers for the GL1800 are the OEM ones. I have still not bothered to upgrade the front ones, as I listen to my music mostly through headphones or earbuds. A really good set of earbuds beats the speakers during highway riding hands down. Helmet speakers are adequate, as they don't get the wind interference while riding.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

mudslinger

Post by mudslinger »

I am going to trim up the audio polks I bought. I run aux chord with my phone that provides more power. They should sound good. I usually have the wife on the back so ear buds are out. We rarely wear helmets.