Custom Tall and Big seats?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
JustJim
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800 1982 GS 1100 1987 Yamaha Zuma

Custom Tall and Big seats?

Post by JustJim »

Hello. I have moved up from a 1982 Suzuki gs 1100 to a 2016 Gl1800 audio comfort. I’m 6’7” 270 and I’ve been working out ergonomic issues. My whole life has been things that don’t quite fit, and that is a bit of where I am at now. I’ve swapped my pegs for mini boards that drop foot placement an inch and got an oversized trident brake pedal which makes that easier for my size 15 to find. I like to ride above the windshield mostly but with adjustment I am still experimenting with stock windshield.
The thing I am most interested in is a seat which raises me and moves me back a bit. A lot of money to drop on something sight unseen, but I am anxious to make it fit. Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated. All that being said, I’ve been loving it so far. Riding with fairing and heated seat and grips when it is 40 out here in Wisconsin has already added months of riding to my season. Just pulled the GS out of storage and it felt like I was on an I’ll fitting moped( as opposed to a nicely fitting moped like my 87 Yamaha Zuma; thinking about a trailer so I can take it with me on the Wing...one thing at a time)

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Re: Custom Tall and Big seats?

Post by Big Bob »

Just Jim I'm not as tall as you at 6'1" but for me on my 06 I found that the seat and factory windshield didn't work for me. That said, I spent big $$on the Ultimate king seat/backrest and passenger back rest and it gave me the leg room I was looking for. For a taller windshield I purchased a F4+4 with the vent. I had a Tulsa extra tall on my 1500, but they are no longer available. And to finish the job I purchased Baker airwings, both the mirror and fairing mounted wings. Also you should install some highway pegs, Kuryakyn ergo pegs worked for me. Only thing left will be Traxxion suspension upgrade, back to work to start saving money again! Enjoy the ride!
Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!

JustJim
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800 1982 GS 1100 1987 Yamaha Zuma

Post by JustJim »

Yeah the Ultimate King is one I’m looking at. I’m not a moneys no object kind of guy, but I love riding too much and spent most of my life with things that at best just kinda fit to cheap out on this. Thanks for the feed back, enjoy the ride as well as all the time you’re not, take care!

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Just Jim, it was hard for me to justify that kind of $$ my money comes to me the old fashioned way, earn it. But after putting out the money I did for the bike, and figuring it will possibly be my last bike I'm glad I did, comfort is worth it to me

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Troubled1
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing. Comfort/ABS

Post by Troubled1 »

Like you I have suffered the same thing..
at 6" 6" and a 38 Inseam its tough to be comfortable and ride..
a couple of years back I bought a used King Ultimate seat from a guy in AZ..
and I have to say is.. WOW! my knees dont hit the fairing, its more comfortable..
my only complaint is the back of the seat has a slight angle and not more upright like
the factory seat so it doesnt give me that little bit of support I need..
as far as windshields.. I tried a couple different ones, but it felt like they just delivered a face full of wind..
so I have stuck with the factory one

jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

just got my russell day long seat only have couple hundred miles on it but comfort is way better than stock they build just for you .about same $ as ultamit seat just had to wait to get it . good luck

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

I will second the Russell Day Long seat to get the seat made for you as you are as tall as you are. The cost will be in the $1800+ range but you will get the height and set back you need to be comfortable. It looks like they have a long lead time at this point(end of June/July). Peruse their web site and give them a call.

https://day-long.com/

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

As to your windshield get a Madstad. They are a 2 piece with a space between to flow the air above you to help eliminate buffeting. You can also have the height set below your eyesight line so you can see better where you are going rather than through the shield. Ever have a windshield instantly fog on you riding? Looking through a fogged windshield is impossible to see.

https://madstad.com/products/honda-gold ... 00-2001-up

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

The other thing to help you get more comfortable is Mic-O-Pegs highway pegs. They swing down so your feet are below the cylinder head, not out around the head burning your legs with the head heat as most highway pegs do.
They swing back up out of the way automatically when you take your foot off so you don't grind the pegs in corners. I love mine as my hips don't get spread out like the kuryjunkin pegs put in a birthing chair position... And no more hip dysplasia cramps...
Their chrome is higher quality too(far beyond the chrome of kuryjunkin pegs have). Well worth the investment.

The last picture, you can see them in the up position when you don't put you foot on them for riding the twisties.

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/
Attachments

bigmick
Motorcycle: 2016 f6b

Post by bigmick »

Get an f6b seat. Doesn't have the bolster. I bought the bike after knee replacement and find it very comfy. If you want to stretch more just sit on the pillion section.

Owsley
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by Owsley »

Not as tall here, but suffer similar ergo problems. Have lowered footpegs, Kuryakan highway pegs, seat redone by RDL. I had to send it back once for an adjustment. I wanted them to move me back further but they said they went as far back as they could. If you go that route, go with the sitting position as far back as you can. They do ride-in seat builds by appointment, that is probably the best way.
Good luck in your quest for ultimate comfort.

Troubled1
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing. Comfort/ABS

Post by Troubled1 »

I would love to do a "Ride in" and get a RDL custom fitted...
how cool would that be?

Dougrad
Motorcycle: 2016 GL 1800
2012 Super Tenere

Post by Dougrad »

6’6” with 36 inch inseam and size 16 feet.
2016 fits well with
Hartco seat: call and talk to them and they will set you up.
Then you need bar risers : I got helibars.
Then : madstad brackets and screen
Finally: mick o pegs.
All this costs a lot but it’s the price you pay to be super tall. But you should be set for the life of the bike!
IBA# 68696

BIGBopper1956
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 Aspencade
1999 GL 1500 Valkyrie Interstate
1999 GL 1500 Valkyrie Tour
1999 GL 1500 Valkyrie Standard

Post by BIGBopper1956 »

Don't have the tall issue thing, only 5'7" but do put on large amounts of miles when riding. Comfort was a big thing and after a great deal of research decided to go with Russell. First used it on a 99 Valkyrie Tour and now have one on my 93 Aspencade I just purchased. I did the drive in appointment and drove the 700 miles to Shasta Dam California. They will build it to your specs and have you sit on it before making final adjustments and the covering. I had custom stitching done so an extra day was needed, but rode home with a smile on my butt as the comfort level and fit have been second to none. All I can say is these guys are good! If you can't do the ride in, then they will have you make all kinds of measurements before the build. You also get two free adjustments once you receive it if they are necessary. I had two backrests done, along with the seat, custom stitching, leather on the butt surfaces, and studs for $1500. Best $$$$ spent on the bike.

BIGBopper

BIG Bopper
Tim Bannister