Cruise control issues

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
dayser
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100

Cruise control issues

Post by dayser »

My Cruise control on a 2009 1800 Does not want to set. The cruise light powers on and off but will not set. It actually quit at the end of last season. When I first started up this spring it still would not set.

m2102
Motorcycle: Gl1800 wing with Roadsmith trike kit.

Re: Cruise control issues

Post by m2102 »

Try pushing out the clutch lever and see if cruise engages. If it does then the most likely issue is the relay on clutch side needs replaced. If that’s it be careful putting in new one. Their is a small round “ bump” that goes into a small hole to hold it in place.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

And if that does not seem to be the problem, get a can of CRC cleaner that is safe for plastics, and spray the heck out of the cruise buttons while pushing them over and over again. This should clean out any dirt and get them functioning again. Last ditch is to take the right side controls apart to clean them, but be very careful as there are tiny parts and springs that will run away from you and hide where you can never find them.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

dayser

Post by dayser »

Thanks much for both of your replies...I have used lubricants, but have to be honest probably not the best one's....the clutch plan is one I never thought of and it could be that sitting over the winter and little playing with things made it work again...but I don't want to have it be hit and miss..so thanks again.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

dayser wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am
Thanks much for both of your replies...I have used lubricants, but have to be honest probably not the best one's....the clutch plan is one I never thought of and it could be that sitting over the winter and little playing with things made it work again...but I don't want to have it be hit and miss..so thanks again.
There are a couple of micro switches associated with the brake and clutch lever that will disable the cruise control. If they are not working, it prevents the cruise control from working. There is also a bushing in the clutch lever that if worn can cause intermittent cruise control operation.

The Clutch lever micro switch.switch: you should hear a faint click as you start to pull the clutch lever off of its at rest position. If you do not hear that click, then the switch may be stuck. Spraying a little of the cleaner into the switch may make it start working again.
There is a second switch in the clutch lever set ups as well. It is used to allow starting of the engine when in gear and the side stand is up. That switch does not come into play until the lever is pulled all the way back to the grip. You can hear it click too if it is working. But, it is only for starting the bike and has no function for the cruise control.

The Brake lever micro switch: you should hear a faint click as you start to pull the clutch lever off of its at rest position. If you do not hear that click, then the switch may be stuck. Spraying a little of the cleaner into the switch may make it start working again.

There is also a bushing in the clutch handle that if worn can cause intermittent cruise application AND prevent you from starting the bike while in gear with the side stand up.

Cyclemax of Ohio sells the micro switches and bushings and so does your Honda dealer.

There are other switches that can prevent the cruise from engaging but I think either the clutch or brake lever switches or clutch lever bushing is probably your issue.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA

murr57
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Post by murr57 »

Just had the same problem. Luckily my bike is still under a limited warranty so after my dealer identified the faulty relay switch in the clutch lever he also replaced the one in the front brake lever saying if one has gone, the other might go shortly. ( He's kind of good that way.) He also told me that in 20 years he has never had to replace the one in the back brake.

dayser

Post by dayser »

Once again I can only say thank you. With so many places to check if I check them all with no improvement...it looks like a trip to shop. Hopefully this will take care of though...

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

Don't know if you found it but I'll offer this. A few years back I put on a set of Kuryakyn boards. I was careful not to move or change anything. Nonetheless when complete, the cruise would not engage. A few days later, still not having found the problem, I was pacing around the bike. On the third or fourth trip (all the while muttering to myself) I noticed the brake light was on. Evidently the Kuryakyn brake pedal was slightly different. Adjusted the rear brake light switch everything is once again operating as designed.

dayser

Post by dayser »

Thank you. You added one more place to look. I have no doubt with all of your help I will be cruising with my cruise with no problem...

kenwendland
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Honda Shadow Saber vt1100c2

Post by kenwendland »

I just fixed this exact problem on my '03 Wing. If pressing out on the clutch lever keeps the cruise control engaged, and releasing that outward pressure causes the cruise control to stop, then you may need to replace a small brass bushing in the handle. It's a $13 part on Amazon, and took 5 minutes to swap. Here is a good video to show what I am talking about.

The Video:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

The Part on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA ... UTF8&psc=1

2003 Goldwing GL1800, (Black)
2004 Honda Shadow Saber VT1100c2, (Perl Wineberry)