2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Post Reply
bgw08
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: Comanche, ok
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by bgw08 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:02 pm



I have just purchased a trailer with a Goldwing sized wheel chock, 4 D-rings welded into the steel floor, and rows of tie-down attachment points along each side. It has a 4 foot long ramp. My questions are:
1. What is the best technique for attaching the tie-downs (attachment points and techniques)?
2. Can someone tell me if the bottom of the goldwing will clear the end of the trailer, with the 4 foot ramp, or will I need to find a hill or curb to minimize the "breakover" angle at the end of the trailer?
Thanks for your information.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20851
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Here are a few rules I use when tying down:
  • The bike will move (it has suspension, remember). Make sure your straps account for that.
  • Use triangles. Squares move. Triangles don't. Use two different tie-down points (fore and aft on the trailer) to fasten to the same point on the bike, making a triangle. Do this on both sides.
  • Use fastening points as high as possible on the bike, connected to low parts on the trailer as far away from the bike as possible. Floor of the trailer, plus height of the bike plus strap = triangle.
  • Fasten the wheels if at all possible. They are the only parts on the bike that won't move.
  • Have a couple people sit on the bike while strapping it down, to compress the suspension as much as possible.
  • Don't fasten to the handlebars on a Goldwing. The bike is heavy, and they will bend/move.
  • When driving, make frequent checks to make sure nothing is working its way loose. Especially after the first few miles.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3797
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by dingdong » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 am

Here is another method with pics just to show you the tie down points. I like WA's triangle method with the straps. Single strap pulling to the rear is a no no in my opinion. Straight down or triangle for the rear. If the front straps loosen, the rear strap will pull the bike to the rear and out of the chock.

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

Red Ron
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY; Edgewater FL
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by Red Ron » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

I too have an '08 and I follow the method that "Dingdong" gave a link to. In addition there are a couple of things I do:

1. I have a padded block of wood that barely slides under the engine block when bike is standing straight up after the first 2 straps. This block absorbs some of the weight of the bike and keeps the shocks from fully compressing (espically if you hit a big hole in the road) and therefore reduces the risk of blowing a fork seal. Some don't agree with this but I have trailered many bikes for many thousands of miles like this and never had a problem.

2. Another thing I do is to make sure the bike is in nuteral before I get it all the way strapped down. This takes all the pressure off the tranny. Remember if it is in gear and strapped down the back wheel can't slide therefore there might end up being a lot of strain on a somewhat sensitive tranny if it is in gear.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by actionpack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Red Ron wrote:I too have an '08 and I follow the method that "Dingdong" gave a link to. In addition there are a couple of things I do:

1. I have a padded block of wood that barely slides under the engine block when bike is standing straight up after the first 2 straps. This block absorbs some of the weight of the bike and keeps the shocks from fully compressing (espically if you hit a big hole in the road) and therefore reduces the risk of blowing a fork seal. Some don't agree with this but I have trailered many bikes for many thousands of miles like this and never had a problem.

2. Another thing I do is to make sure the bike is in nuteral before I get it all the way strapped down. This takes all the pressure off the tranny. Remember if it is in gear and strapped down the back wheel can't slide therefore there might end up being a lot of strain on a somewhat sensitive tranny if it is in gear.
real good point on the blocks under the engine mounts , i blew the seals on my vtx trailoring it to fl , now i always block under the engine up front where the motor mounts are leaving just enought room to get the blocks under the engine , and then tighten the rachet straps down tell the block under the engine is tight , no more blown fork seals
Image

gareva1
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by gareva1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

actionpack wrote:
Red Ron wrote:I too have an '08 and I follow the method that "Dingdong" gave a link to. In addition there are a couple of things I do:

1. I have a padded block of wood that barely slides under the engine block when bike is standing straight up after the first 2 straps. This block absorbs some of the weight of the bike and keeps the shocks from fully compressing (espically if you hit a big hole in the road) and therefore reduces the risk of blowing a fork seal. Some don't agree with this but I have trailered many bikes for many thousands of miles like this and never had a problem.

2. Another thing I do is to make sure the bike is in nuteral before I get it all the way strapped down. This takes all the pressure off the tranny. Remember if it is in gear and strapped down the back wheel can't slide therefore there might end up being a lot of strain on a somewhat sensitive tranny if it is in gear.
real good point on the blocks under the engine mounts , i blew the seals on my vtx trailoring it to fl , now i always block under the engine up front where the motor mounts are leaving just enought room to get the blocks under the engine , and then tighten the rachet straps down tell the block under the engine is tight , no more blown fork seals

Now instead of blowing your fork seals, you are slamming the entire frame of your motorcycle against a block of wood :o :o :o

I've hauled my bike in trucks and trailers, and I use 7 straps:

---two on the triple tree (NOT THE HANDLEBARS), one going each direction toward the front corners of the trailer
---two on the engine guards, going the same general direction of the triple tree straps, maybe a little further back
---two on the rear crash guards or the frame piece that the guards attach to (the frame is the better place to put them, as the rear guards are merely bolted to the frame)
---one around the front wheel to stabilize it, as I don't have a wheel chock.

preload maxed out, straps tightened to pull the suspension down about 1.5 inches in the front, bike in neutral, kickstand and centerstand up...never had a problem.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by actionpack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm

gareva1 wrote:
actionpack wrote:
Red Ron wrote:I too have an '08 and I follow the method that "Dingdong" gave a link to. In addition there are a couple of things I do:

1. I have a padded block of wood that barely slides under the engine block when bike is standing straight up after the first 2 straps. This block absorbs some of the weight of the bike and keeps the shocks from fully compressing (espically if you hit a big hole in the road) and therefore reduces the risk of blowing a fork seal. Some don't agree with this but I have trailered many bikes for many thousands of miles like this and never had a problem.

2. Another thing I do is to make sure the bike is in nuteral before I get it all the way strapped down. This takes all the pressure off the tranny. Remember if it is in gear and strapped down the back wheel can't slide therefore there might end up being a lot of strain on a somewhat sensitive tranny if it is in gear.
real good point on the blocks under the engine mounts , i blew the seals on my vtx trailoring it to fl , now i always block under the engine up front where the motor mounts are leaving just enought room to get the blocks under the engine , and then tighten the rachet straps down tell the block under the engine is tight , no more blown fork seals

Now instead of blowing your fork seals, you are slamming the entire frame of your motorcycle against a block of wood :o :o :o

I've hauled my bike in trucks and trailers, and I use 7 straps:

---two on the triple tree (NOT THE HANDLEBARS), one going each direction toward the front corners of the trailer
---two on the engine guards, going the same general direction of the triple tree straps, maybe a little further back
---two on the rear crash guards or the frame piece that the guards attach to (the frame is the better place to put them, as the rear guards are merely bolted to the frame)
---one around the front wheel to stabilize it, as I don't have a wheel chock.

preload maxed out, straps tightened to pull the suspension down about 1.5 inches in the front, bike in neutral, kickstand and centerstand up...never had a problem.
if you got a setup you like , stay with it , i'll go with the blocks under the engine mounts , did i mention i blew the fork seals drawing that front end down
Image

Red Ron
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY; Edgewater FL
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by Red Ron » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 am

Thank you Actionpack. Finally somebody that gets it. The block is NOT absorbing the full load. The front and rear suspension is still getting some of it because the bike is suspended above the block until the 1st 2 straps makes it "squat" down and make contact with the block. Also the block is padded with layers of carpet padding. That engine block ain't gonna crack. And my fork seals are not going to blow. In my case if I hit something hard enough to cause the engine block to crack that is going to be the least of my problems.

User avatar
DaRamblerman
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 pm
Location: Dushore Pa
Motorcycle: 87 GL1200A. 129,600 miles

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by DaRamblerman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:28 pm

dingdong wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 am
Here is another method with pics just to show you the tie down points. I like WA's triangle method with the straps. Single strap pulling to the rear is a no no in my opinion. Straight down or triangle for the rear. If the front straps loosen, the rear strap will pull the bike to the rear and out of the chock.

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html
ding dong this link send you to a continual pop-up ad wanting you to allow viral updates into your computer or your phone.

User avatar
Viking
Posts: 3534
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by Viking » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Yup... looks like the link goes to the site, but is then rerouted. It has been hijacked. It is not ding dong's fault. Web pages get hijacked all the time. Anyone reading this, please do not navigate to that linked site.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3797
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by dingdong » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:20 am

Yeah and that is quite an old link. Wasn't like that back then but thanks for the heads up.

User avatar
keithg64
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by keithg64 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:57 am

This is the link from our diy section for the 1800.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14030
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

User avatar
keithg64
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by keithg64 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 am

The above with the block is a great idea.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

User avatar
raven41951
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:36 am
Location: Haverhill, MA
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Re: 2008 Goldwing trailer tie down advice?

Post by raven41951 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 pm

I have a toy hauler which has six d-rings in the floor, three on each side. I checked out everything I could find. Use two straps on the triple tree, one each side. Two on the frame members under the battery/brake cylinder and two on the frame under the front of the rear bags.

I use a condor wheel chock with a 3x5 mat under it to somewhat protect the vinyl floor. I located the bike just to the rear of center of the trailer wheels, as I had plenty of weight up front. The wheel chock was secured to four of the d-rings.

It made the 1300 mile trip from New England to Florida Without any adjustments, but I did check it every time I fueled, which was every 200 miles (26 gallon tank at 8mpg).



Post Reply