Flashing Brake Lights

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Flashing Brake Lights

Post by Terry D »

I just added the Signal Dynamics Backoff module to my 05 Wing. I wanted the Wig Wag model and got the XP model by mistake but decided to live with it.
The instructions are quite simple for the simple tail lighted bike. But the 05 Wing it is not. On the trunk there are four running/brake lights. Two on each side of the center key lock. I only wanted the center two to flash. That would keep the remaining two on the trunk and the ones on each side of the saddlebag to be stock. The hook up wasn't quite so easy. Under the trunk and behind the rear fender/license plate cover is the wiring. The wiring for the trunk is in the biggest bundle of wires that doesn't have the connectors in the boot. So on the left side you see a bundle going up and to the left to the trunk area. On the right side you see the same type of thing. Both these bundles need to be taken apart so to speak to find the green wire with red stripes. To my surprise there are two sets of green wires with red stripes going up both sides. Well maybe not a real surprise because they feed a pair of lights on each side. But, I wish Honda would have used a different color of wire for the outboard lights and the inboard lights. Because I ended up cutting both on the left and got lucky on the right. That meant soldering the one on the left back together for the outboard light.

Next I made the mistake of using the power side of the correct cut green wire with red stripe to power the BACKOFF. That mistake was because I did not follow the instructions provided on You Tube to correctly install the Wig Wag model. Using that left side as power made both left stop lights flash and only the right side inboard light flash. Luckily I did not make those connections permanent at the time because I have a set of colored jumper wires with alligator clips on each end that I use for such testing. So, after a few minutes trying to figure things out, I went to the instructions online for the Wig Wag set up and it states to use the right side wire that was cut for your power source. I switched my test wires and VIOLA! everything worked as stated for the XP model.

That is when I decided I could start soldering all cut connections. After each soldered connection, I tested the the lights until I was finished. Good way to run a battery down. But, I kept the bike hooked to my charger so that never happened. Now that I have the flashing brake lights in the center two lights, feel that drivers behind me are more alert that I'm braking, even if it is only to slow a bit. Oh, and by the way, I run all six tail lights as Red LEDs and they are so much brighter than stock.

It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Flashing Brake Lights

Post by Rambozo »

Since they both go to brake lights, it makes sense that Honda would use the same color. Be lucky they provided separate wires instead of daisy chaining the two sockets. In the future, you could just remove one of the bulbs then check for current in each wire with a clamp meter to figure out which one to cut.
Having flashing brake lights really seems to make drivers notice me. That and having LED strips on the sides for turn signals were some of the best mods to do.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I think most tap into the green brake light wire under the seat.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Once I saw what was involved I left my Wig Wag new in the box.

I'll eventually get the bulbs that flash, if anything.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Actually I did remove the bulb and performed a continuity check using a pin stuck in the wire. But both wires are connected together somewhere. If you cut the wire under the seat you will cutout all 6 brake lights. So, that won't work either if you are trying to isolate one pair of sockets/bulbs. Another problem with the difference between the Wig Wag module and the XP module is you have the modules with the same colored wires. But the Wig Wag you use the Red w/white stripe for one side and they White w/red stripe for the other side. On the XP you use Red/white or White/red depending on what mode or flash sequence you want. On the Wig Wag you use Orange and (I think) White or is it yellow for the modes. On the XP yellow is used for a 4 way flasher. It is not confusing wants you know what wires to cut on the 05 to the inboard trunk wires. I saved cutting into a ground wire by performing an ohm/continuity check on the bolt for the cross over brace between the two saddlebags.

It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.