Pressurized Gas Tank

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Pressurized Gas Tank

Post by huggiebear »

Hi all!
Yesterday I was getting ready to go for a ride with a new to me 2017 GL1800 level 3, because the previous day I was working on the bike and listening to the radio I drained the battery and when I tried to start it didn't. So I connected the power buster and started fine.
I tooke the bike outside and left it running to charge the buttery. It run on idle for about 15 minutes then I rode to the meeting place leaving the bike running in parking lot for another 25 to 30 minute.
Then we left and stoped at the gas station.
I twisted the gas tank cap and I started to hear air pressure, as soon a removed the cap air and gas mist started to come out of the tank then turned in to a Geyser maybe 10 feet in the air covering me with fuel on my helmet and jacket.
I have to admit it scared me a bit.
My first thought, ,the over fill hole must be plugged so I filled up to the neck but the fuel never come up to the top. That was an indication the over flow hole its fine.
But if the over flow it's ok how it is possible for pressure to build up in the tank.
When I was done with a refuel I put the cap back on but lef it a bit loose .
One hours later I tightened the cap and checked again 200Km later when I got home.
There was not pressure when I twisted the cap.
Any one has any idea what cause pressure build up in the gas tank?
Hope never happens to anyone because it's scary.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Pressurized Gas Tank

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Most likely the vent hose at the upper right front corner of the fuel tank is pinched. Routing of that hose is critical. Also, just an FYI ... as stated in the Owner's Manual, only fill the tank to the filler neck. Never above it.
huggiebear

Post by huggiebear »

thanks GoldWingrGreg,
the tanks was half full when this happened, when I filled the tank after the incident I filled to the neck to see if fuel will come up to the top of the neck but didn't. so I assumed the vent its clear.
I have the 2010 manual from my previous bike. I assume its same as 2016. ill have a look at it to see what fairing to remove to get to the vent.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

huggiebear wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 am thanks GoldWingrGreg,
the tanks was half full when this happened, when I filled the tank after the incident I filled to the neck to see if fuel will come up to the top of the neck but didn't. so I assumed the vent its clear.
I have the 2010 manual from my previous bike. I assume its same as 2016. ill have a look at it to see what fairing to remove to get to the vent.
Was it winter blend gas in the tank? They change the formula of additives in winter blend gas, which have been known to boil in wing tanks in heat of the spring and summer on wings. Your letting the bike idle raised the temperature in the tank from the ambient air and the added motor heat. It's not a good idea to idle the bike without a fan blowing on it to cool the motor and gas tank. I'm glad it wasn't a worse outcome.

There have been lots of posts on the various wing forums over the past 12 years I've been on of a spray of air gushing out, but yours is the first of a geyser of gas spraying on a person.
huggiebear

Post by huggiebear »

That makes sense because the bike run for long time in the sun. At first I thought it was the vent plugged but when I filled the tank to the neck and the fuel level kept staying at the same level that told me the vent it was fine.
Thanks for your input.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

huggiebear wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 am Hi all!
Yesterday I was getting ready to go for a ride with a new to me 2017 GL1800 level 3, because the previous day I was working on the bike and listening to the radio I drained the battery and when I tried to start it didn't. So I connected the power buster and started fine.
I tooke the bike outside and left it running to charge the buttery. It run on idle for about 15 minutes then I rode to the meeting place leaving the bike running in parking lot for another 25 to 30 minute.
Then we left and stoped at the gas station.
I twisted the gas tank cap and I started to hear air pressure, as soon a removed the cap air and gas mist started to come out of the tank then turned in to a Geyser maybe 10 feet in the air covering me with fuel on my helmet and jacket.
I have to admit it scared me a bit.
My first thought, ,the over fill hole must be plugged so I filled up to the neck but the fuel never come up to the top. That was an indication the over flow hole its fine.
But if the over flow it's ok how it is possible for pressure to build up in the tank.
When I was done with a refuel I put the cap back on but lef it a bit loose .
One hours later I tightened the cap and checked again 200Km later when I got home.
There was not pressure when I twisted the cap.
Any one has any idea what cause pressure build up in the gas tank?
Hope never happens to anyone because it's scary.
What was the last work you did to it?
huggiebear

Post by huggiebear »

Never done any work yet, except wiring in a 12 volt cigarette lighter to charge electronic devices and wired the XM radio.
I truly believe the problem was running the engine too long in the parking lot that heated the gasoline.
But at the same time why the fumes never escaped through the neck vent.
Rode more than 300Km and no pressure in the gas tank.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

huggiebear wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pm Never done any work yet, except wiring in a 12 volt cigarette lighter to charge electronic devices and wired the XM radio.
I truly believe the problem was running the engine too long in the parking lot that heated the gasoline.
But at the same time why the fumes never escaped through the neck vent.
Rode more than 300Km and no pressure in the gas tank.
Well, there is no neck vent. The vent is a rubber hose connected to the top front of the tank that runs down to the evap canister. If it does it again, then you will have to pull the shelter and inspect the hose from the tank and it’s route around the right side of the air box.
huggiebear

Post by huggiebear »

Thanks for the advise. I thought the vent was inside the neck, because we’re not supposed to fill the tank
To the neck.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

huggiebear wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:08 pm Thanks for the advise. I thought the vent was inside the neck, because we’re not supposed to fill the tank
To the neck.
Yea, it has to do with the level of the vent tube attachment point on the tank. If you fill it above the bottom of the sleeve in the tank, then when you come to a stop, the gas will be high enough to slosh up to the front enough that the evap system will get flooded with liquid gas and drip out of the canister onto the inside of the lower cowl and smell up your garage.