Go Pro addition

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tj5iveo
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Go Pro addition

Post by tj5iveo »

Hey Everyone,
Been playing around with the idea of an on board camera. Bought 2 last year, Contour Roam and a ION Air Pro, both used. They were fairly well. Cant seem to update time/date on the Contour but really no biggy. Found a cool mount the was made that nicely clamps to the lower part of the windscreen allowing the camera to screw on and be secure.

Looking around the other day, looked at some Go Pros. Yikes, tad expensive for what I want to do with it. Found a Campart n Amazon for like $40 with tons of xtras. Got it today, played with it a bit. Not really bad but gets kinda hot but for $40 bucks, going to keep it especially for all the mounts.

Looked some more and found a Go Pro Hero 5 on amazon for $149. Yea, I bout it, especially with amazons excellent return policy. Anyhow, finally to my point and questions, sorry...

I don't wear a helmet, again, sorry. Both the Campart and the Go Pro do not have a mount hole on the bottom like the Countour and ION obviously due to the size. So how do I mount the Go Pro??? The mount I bought for the windshield has a 1/2-20 stud but neither the Campart or Go Pro accept that. I really don't want to wear one of those headbands. Is there a part/adapter that mounts to the camera and then can screw onto the stud??? I did see a video about a guy that drilled a 1/2 hole into the hats brim and then mounted the Go Pro Session to it but nothing I have seen has a mount like that.

Thanx for reading the novel! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ride safe and be careful...

TJ

superg
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 sei, 2006 gl1800

Re: Go Pro addition

Post by superg »

hi,

i have a phone holder and to mount that i this.. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299114 ... 4c4dz3BqnC

maybe this help?
tj5iveo

Post by tj5iveo »

How do you use it, mount to??? Thanx
superg
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 sei, 2006 gl1800

Post by superg »

I have it mounted between the handle mount (see picture

)
, but you can use almost every nut on the bike, i think for you it is the best on the crashbar?
alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Post by alwrmcusn »

I have several places that I can mount my GoPro's.
Top or side of my helmets using the GoPro stick on mounts. Great videos but you need to be aware that turning your head makes videos jarring to watch.
Front of my windscreen (GL1800) using the GoPro stick on mounts.
Top and/or bottom of my trunk luggage rack using the GoPro stick on mounts. I have one on the top and one on the bottom in case I have a bag on the rack that prevents using the top mount. My GoPro automatically records in the "upright' position. When we do group rides the riders behind me enjoy seeing their rides.
Years ago when I bought my first GoPro I was reluctant to use the stick on mounts. But I have ridden a lot of miles using those mounts and have never had one come loose.
I also have used a Ram Mount from the top of the brake or clutch reservoir that works well but I tend to get just a tiny bit of vibration using that mount. Using a very short ball connector greatly reduced that vibration. The windscreen mount is difficult to see in the jpg/photo but is center bottom just below the white oval sticker. That is my favorite position to video from.
Attachments

Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.
tj5iveo

Post by tj5iveo »

cool. I have a bunch of ram mounts, short, long, adjustable for the brake/clutch mount. Also have a windshield mount that i purchased from a gentleman named Roger Sailors, custom made. that attaches to the lower right/left of the windshield. Will have to experiment.

As far as the stick mounts u mention and use, does the adhesive that comes on the mounts really work??? I would b afraid of losing the camera! I have and have used the 3m stuff but member for an application like this. And how is is to come off???

Thanx for great ideas...

B safe out there...

TJ