Slight wobble at 80 to 90 mph

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
dlewis1906
Motorcycle: GL1800

Slight wobble at 80 to 90 mph

Post by dlewis1906 »

I am having an issue with an intermittent wobble when riding at higher speeds. Kinda like when your behind a big truck. I have had the stirring head bearings replaced and the wheel bearings. I do not have a fork brace on the bike. I did not notice it until after I have the bearing replaced. It is really pronounced with I have the trailer hooked up to it. Any ideas?

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Re: Slight wobble at 80 to 90 mph

Post by keithg64 »

There are quite a few things it may be but with the trailer hooked up you have put added weight on the farthest part of the bike which changes the geometry of the trail on the front suspension which could have an effect of high speed riding.
Tire pressure and tire wear are a couple of other factors. Also, I had a problem with my bikes wobble at high speeds and I changed to a different windshield.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

dlewis1906

Post by dlewis1906 »

Thanks for the response. The tires are new. I have the centramatic wheel balancers on them. I have the wobble with just the bike, but worse with the trailer. It is not a consistent thing, but intermittent. I do not feel it in the handle bars.

I just took the front fender off and side covers. No movement in the wheel at the 12,3, 6 and 9 o’clock position. Where the fork compress, no movement (When I push and pull). At the bottom of forks next to wheel axle, there is a slight flex. I have played with the tire pressure, but seems to have little affect. I have attached a picture showing the point where grabbed and got a little flex.

I am wondering if the wheel balancers are causing it.
Attachments

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

you said just the bike:

when the trailer is connected, the tongue weight should be 10% at a minimum.

I will take a guess that the steering head bearing is just a tab bit too tight.

1st though, I would loosen all of the bolts on the front axle, shift things around a bit, and make sure the forks are clamped in w/o a twist...

tight the axle nut in the correct order ( forget if left or right ) and the correct amount of torque.

helped mine, that was all I did.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

dlewis1906

Post by dlewis1906 »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:17 am
you said just the bike:

when the trailer is connected, the tongue weight should be 10% at a minimum.

I will take a guess that the steering head bearing is just a tab bit too tight.

1st though, I would loosen all of the bolts on the front axle, shift things around a bit, and make sure the forks are clamped in w/o a twist...

tight the axle nut in the correct order ( forget if left or right ) and the correct amount of torque.

helped mine, that was all I did.
I usually keep the tongue weight around the 10% of the trailer and its content weight (Total trailer weight).

I will try the loosening and re-tightening to spec (I think I have the correct tools)(I will need the get the special tool, I think).

I believe the correct tightening of the pinch bolts is (facing the front of bike) left first. Then adjust the right fork and tighten the pinch bolts. There is a line in the bolt that you adjust the fork to accordingly.

dlewis1906

Post by dlewis1906 »

PROBLEM Resolved. It turned out that the back tire was out of balance. The tire is balance and the "Tail wagging the dog" effect is gone. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have wheel balancers on the bike, but it is still suggested to have the wheel balanced due to the inconsistency of tire manufacturing.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

Good job, thanks for letting us know. I have used balancing beads for years and this year changed to centramatic beads.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build.