Rear trunk latch

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tj5iveo
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Rear trunk latch

Post by tj5iveo »

Hello, Hope all are safe...
New '17 GL1800 comfort/audio, just turned 5k. Noticed when popping the rear trunk, the lid doesn't always pop. Have to hold the lever and pull up. Sprayed the locks with silicone as well as the lid catches. If I'm correct, shouldn't I adjust the lid catches? Pretty sure I din that on all my other wings, just by loosening the 2 screws and moving them a tad. Unless there is something I need to lubricate on the lower part. Any assistance, please

B safe out there

TJ

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Rear trunk latch

Post by Viking »

Do you have to slam the trunk to get it to securely close? If this is not the case, then I would consider that the fault is with the linkage from the pull handle to the latch. Adjusting the latch will only help if the trunk lid is too tightly engaged with the latch. Is it still under warranty? If so, let the dealership mess with it, as it is their job. Unless of course you do not have a good Goldwing savvy dealership.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tj5iveo
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by tj5iveo »

no slamming. I recall on other models I had, when I removed all that stuff to install spoiler, had to tweak the latches. and odd that after spraying some silicone on the latches and/or both mechanisms, works good for a while. kinda thought the lid was to pop up more. ill do some experimenting. thanx for the reply and advice. b safe...
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

You say the silicone spray does work for a while. The spray does not last on metal parts. Try some light grease on the catches on the opener unit.
Do you hear the mechanism trying to pop the trunk? Also, try it with the trunk open to see if it's even trying to unlatch.
You say it's a 'new' 17. If all all fails, it's under warranty. I would let the dealer fix it before digging into the going much further on you own.
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

There are two spring loaded plungers that pop the lid up. Maybe on one the spring has shifted position and that plunger wont be pulling its weight. Had this problem myself awhile back, pulled latch assembly out and finagle the spring back into position.