How smooth is your Wing?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

How smooth is your Wing?

Post by C-dub »

My Wing is so smooth ...

My usual routine when I leave work is to remove my Xena disc alarm, remove the cover protecting it from the sun, unlock the storage areas and stow my bag and the cover, start it up and ride home after it warms properly. My ride home is 11 miles. Tonight when I pulled into my garage and dismounted I discovered I left out a step. Since I remove the disc alarm before taking the cover off I set it on the port passenger floorboard until I can put it in the port cubby. Well, tonight after dismounting in my garage I looked down and noticed the disc alarm still sitting on that floorboard. SHOCKED FACE!!!

Five turns and three stops before 10 miles of 70mph highway and then about a mile of 5 turns and three stop lights before entering my garage. Wow! That's smooooth.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Re: How smooth is your Wing?

Post by hondapotamus »

That, my friend, is just plain lucky! Wish I was so lucky sometimes.

Glad you aren't purchasing another one.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How smooth is your Wing?

Post by WingAdmin »

C-dub wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 pm
My Wing is so smooth ...

My usual routine when I leave work is to remove my Xena disc alarm, remove the cover protecting it from the sun, unlock the storage areas and stow my bag and the cover, start it up and ride home after it warms properly. My ride home is 11 miles. Tonight when I pulled into my garage and dismounted I discovered I left out a step. Since I remove the disc alarm before taking the cover off I set it on the port passenger floorboard until I can put it in the port cubby. Well, tonight after dismounting in my garage I looked down and noticed the disc alarm still sitting on that floorboard. SHOCKED FACE!!!

Five turns and three stops before 10 miles of 70mph highway and then about a mile of 5 turns and three stop lights before entering my garage. Wow! That's smooooth.
While working on my GL1100's fairing, I managed to drop one of the weird, custom nuts that fastens the mirror on from the inside. It fell down...somewhere. I heard it "clank" as it hit something, but it didn't fall to the floor. I spent about an HOUR looking for that damn nut, but never found it. I replaced it temporarily with a standard bolt and washer that I had on hand until I could source a proper replacement.

A YEAR later, I went to pull my front end apart, for some reason or other. I found the nut, exactly where it had landed: on top of the front fender, between the forks, nestled securely in between the arms of the fork brace. A pothole or big bump would have dislodged it, but it rode along in that spot for an entire year!!