HOOKING UP PUSH TO TALK UNIT WITH ALTERNATIVE CB

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tugwilson145
Motorcycle: gl1500 goldwing, gl1800 2010 goldwing

HOOKING UP PUSH TO TALK UNIT WITH ALTERNATIVE CB

Post by tugwilson145 »

Good Morning All, For years I have enjoyed riding my Goldwing throughout Australia. But the am CB unit is useless due to us here in Australia using general UHF. I have set up my Goldwing with a star com modular kit (https://www.soundrider.com.au/goldwing-enhancement-kit), this unit allows for your phone, mp3 player to connect directly to the audio and mic system on the Goldwing, works very well.

It also allows a UHF radio to connect with an additional handlebar push to talk (ptt) button to be added. I'm about to purchase an old second hand left side control switches for my model goldwing ( gl1800-2010) to see if I can access the wire that controls the original push to talk lever so that it will activate the handheld UHF CB through the connection from the star com modular unit to the cd, leaving out the additional push to talk button supplied with the cd unit from sound rider. I need some additional help to see if this is even possible.
1. has anyone on this forum have done this exercise or at least tried too. any information on the problem will be help full
2. does anyone have an electrical diagram for the gl1800 2010 Goldwing so that I can identify the wire required to access and by pass, via a switch added
3.does anyone has an old second-hand handlebar switch unit that I can buy. I can get something from eBay, but prefer to help a fellow forum member. I'm keen to see if this is possible and then show other members hear in Australia and New Zealand how they can convert their bike to run a UHF CB.

Any help will be very appreciated.
cheers
Tug

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Re: HOOKING UP PUSH TO TALK UNIT WITH ALTERNATIVE CB

Post by keithg64 »

Could you use a passenger ptt button and do your wiring off of that. Would that be easier, cheaper and still clean ?
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.