Burned out light bulbs...

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Burned out light bulbs...

Post by Big Bob »

Is it common to have a lot of the bulbs burn out on the 1800? Besides the throttle control cluster being all burned out, I also noticed the radio bulbs and bulbs on the suspension adjustment!/emergency flasher switches are also burned out. I realize that the bike is an 06, but it only has 73k on it, not great mileage on those little bulbs IMO. Maybe I'm wrong in my thoughts on this subject, but none of these look like easy projects (time sensitive) and I'm sure very expensive for a shop to service. Most of my riding is day time, but disappointing for those few night rides. Any thoughts appreciated.

Bob

Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: Burned out light bulbs...

Post by M61A1MECH »

Those bulbs have been reported on other GL forums as being burned out on a fairly regular basis. I found several of mine on my 2013 burned out a few years ago. Most are not terribly difficult to change, I purchased a new set of bulbs and replaced mine. The bulbs are small peanut style bulbs with fine wire leads on them, the bulbs reside in a small plastic seat that just twists out. The lead wires are wrapped around the seat to make the contact, the bulbs can be easily removed and replaced in the old seats. once I replaced my bulb assemblies, I researched Amazon and found replacement bulbs, so now I have a replacement set ready to install next time I need to, at a fraction of the cost of the OEM bulb assemblies I used the first time around.
On the GL1800riders forum, one fellow replaced all of his bulbs with LEDs, but it was a lot of work.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Big Bob wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 am Is it common to have a lot of the bulbs burn out on the 1800? Besides the throttle control cluster being all burned out, I also noticed the radio bulbs and bulbs on the suspension adjustment!/emergency flasher switches are also burned out. I realize that the bike is an 06, but it only has 73k on it, not great mileage on those little bulbs IMO. Maybe I'm wrong in my thoughts on this subject, but none of these look like easy projects (time sensitive) and I'm sure very expensive for a shop to service. Most of my riding is day time, but disappointing for those few night rides. Any thoughts appreciated.

Bob
Usually there are some burnt out in the various panels. But yes, they do burn out. Occasionally I do find the bulbs in an entire panel not working. You may find that it's really corrosion at their connectors that is causing them to not work. In either case, replace the bulbs. As for the bulbs in the kill switch assembly, if it is the original kill switch assembly, you might consider replacing the entire switch assembly since the kill switch will become overly sensitive. To test the kill switch, while on a center stand running in neutral, tap on the kill switch, then rock it forward and aft and from side to side. It should only kill the engine if rotated to the kill position. If the engine dies in any other test, it is bad and needs replaced.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

a joke:

just pretend it is a 2002 like mine and forget about seeing anything at night.
no bulbs to change.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Azgl1800, the reason I bought an 06 1800 is the light up handle bar controls, and improved cooling system. Not that I ride at night very often, I just wanted something different/updated!!😕

Bob

Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!