Cruise Control light constantly on

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
canoodle
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie GL1500 Interstate

Cruise Control light constantly on

Post by canoodle »

Hi guys

After quite a lengthy hiatus from the forum ( sold my GL1500 about two years ago) I bought a 2003-1800 tonight. Pretty low mileage-53000 Km's. The PO said there was only one issue with the bike-the cruise control light on the dash is constantly illuminated. He put a pce of black tape over it-outta sight outta mind I guess-but that fix doesnt work for me. Any idea's what could be causing the light-perhaps just a sticky switch ?
I am picking up the bike on Saturday 18 July-she's a yellow one-like the colour. Man there are a lot of switches and goodies on this bike compared to the 1500-will take me a while to figure everything out. Good to be back-take care out there-best from Vancouver,BC.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Cruise Control light constantly on

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Welcome back. You will find that the 5th gen Wing, with its ridged frame, is incredibly agile and sporty. Its engine offers tremendous power. If you've not rode one yet, the difference between a 4th gen and a 5th gen is jaw dropping. Enjoy your new ride.

On the right handle-bar switch assembly is an on/off switch for the cruise control. When the switch is on, a yellow c/c light will display on the dash. Many will turn it on and leave it on without ever shutting the system off. All 5th gens Wings will have 3 more similar switches (reverse, mute, and 4-way lights). If any of those switches do not get used often enough they'll become problematic, and will stick or not work. If so equipped, your Wing will have a a 5th switch for fog lamps.
Last edited by GoldWingrGreg on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

As Greg mentioned, a lot of riders turn this switch (push button) on and leave it on. I would far sooner have the light illuminated permanently - and for cruise to work - than for the light to be turned OFF and not be able to turn it on. This allows my cruise to be set or resume only without having to mess with remembering to turn it on. While riding my bike, I am looking forward up the road to where I am headed and I seldom notice that little yellow light. I use my cruise all the time, as these bikes tend to speed climb without any input from the rider (just kidding - they are just so peppy it feels like it)

If you feel you really want the light off, get a can of plastic friendly CRC electrical spray and spray in and around the button on the right handlebar, while working the button - a lot. This should clean out any sticky substance that is keeping the switch from activating/deactivating. Protect surrounding areas and paint with rags while you do this as overspray and dripping are both likely.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Another point of why some of us leave it on all the time, is the cruise control system fuse powers the ignition line for the alternator. If for some reason the cruise fuse blows, the alternator will stop charging without any warning and you may be stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery. Of course, the alternator can stop charging for some other reason and cruise still work, but it makes me feel better to see the light on. :D. Another point, make sure all service bulletins have been performed on this bike, especially the frame weld related bulletins. Congrats on your new to you bike, ride it like you stole it!

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

Nice! Enjoy your new-to-you ride. Yes, call your local Honda dealer and give them the VIN to see if all the recalls have been done, including the rear brake recall and frame inspection.
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."

canoodle
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie GL1500 Interstate

Post by canoodle »

Thanks for the inputs guys-much appreciated-guess I will leave it on then.

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

One more thing no body mentioned. When the cruise light is on the system is in ready mode. When you set the cruise, a green light comes on just below the cruise light. And this is a funny thing. I bought my 05 while still on crutches and had my friend ride it home for me. We were at the Dealer and I started the car and was going to leave but he sat on the bike for a good 3-5 minutes and would not start the bike. I got out of the car and asked what was wrong. He says, "where is the start button." I had to laugh because Honda saw fit not to label the start button as a start button. It is labeled as the Reverse Button.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

One other thing there was several recalls on the 03 wing, especially the frame re weld. Get the VIN and call a dealer to see if they have all been completed. Don't want to scare you but there are places that the frames are cracking that is not covered under Honda re weld.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2005/R ... 7-5077.pdf

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2003/HONDA/GL1800
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

kenwendland
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Honda Shadow Saber vt1100c2

Post by kenwendland »

I was having the same problem on mine. The Cruise Control light would never turn off. Turns out, the button was stuck in the on position. My reverse button was also sticking if pressed, making it nearly impossible to get out of reverse. Replacement of the right hand controls fixed both.
2003 Goldwing GL1800, (Black)
2004 Honda Shadow Saber VT1100c2, (Perl Wineberry)

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

canoodle wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:35 pm
Hi guys

After quite a lengthy hiatus from the forum ( sold my GL1500 about two years ago) I bought a 2003-1800 tonight. Pretty low mileage-53000 Km's. The PO said there was only one issue with the bike-the cruise control light on the dash is constantly illuminated. He put a pce of black tape over it-outta sight outta mind I guess-but that fix doesnt work for me. Any idea's what could be causing the light-perhaps just a sticky switch ?
I am picking up the bike on Saturday 18 July-she's a yellow one-like the colour. Man there are a lot of switches and goodies on this bike compared to the 1500-will take me a while to figure everything out. Good to be back-take care out there-best from Vancouver,BC.
I never, turn off the Cruise Control Light.

why should you?
the brake or clutch activation cancels the Cruise control.
if that light bothers you, cover it up.
Me? I don't even see it, I am looking at the road.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc