CD changer issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
canoodle
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie GL1500 Interstate

CD changer issue

Post by canoodle »

Picked up the 03 today. There is a 6 CD changer in the trunk. PO did indicate at time of purchase that it wasnt working. On checking it out now
the lights on the CD player illuminate -not sure if I'm being really dense, but could not even find the spot to put a CD into the player. When I pressed the "CD" on the front of the bike an error message ? charge mech error" displayed. Anyone know what the issue might be ? Would be really cool to be able to play CD's.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: CD changer issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Unfortunately, until the 6th gen Wing, Honda was always behind on supplying music when it came to the Wing. I remember when the 4th gen Wing came out in 1988, one reason I didn't by one was that it came with a cassette player, but CDs had been out for a few years. When the 5th gens came out, an expensive option was the CD player in the trunk and also an audio cord in the LF pocket for an MP3 player. I should say that the 2001 Honda GoldWing was the first vehicle to offer an MP3 audio cord. The Honda Element was the 2nd one.

As for your issue, I know nothing about your issue. I can say that the down side to that system is that it only holds 6 discs, and the player sits under the bottom of the trunk. That mean that a uses has to empty the truck to change the discs ... which would be a real pain if on a continental tour.

If you don't have on Operator's Manual, the attachment might help.

/Docs/Honda%20G ... -DDF6B.pdf

For installation instructions, go here.

http://justwings.com/uploads/CD_CHANGER_KIT-c.pdf
Last edited by GoldWingrGreg on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I have never had a 6CD player that did not foul up in any vehicle I have had it in, and I have heard or read here that this Honda GL1800 unit is the same. Sierra Electronics could probably set it right for you. They do have a very good reputation. What most of us who never had this CD player, and some who did, have done, is to replace it or instead of, put in an mp3 player. There used to be a couple or three on the market, but now I believe only J&M and a chinese source are available. You can purchase one on ebay, and amazon, and cyclemax and wingstuff but I believe they are all from the two available manufacturers now. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

canoodle
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie GL1500 Interstate

Post by canoodle »

Thanks for the replies guys...anyone know how you take the CD player out ?

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

viewtopic.php?t=3701

Some info here, and then an instructional here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Fit-Hondaline-C ... ng-(01-06)

Of course you would reverse these instructions to take the CD player out
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

For most, once the quit working, people will either leave them in or remove them permanently.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

I'm sure in a warehouse somewhere, Honda has a few hundred 6-disk changers available...but the problem has been mentioned already. They were not very robust devices - even in an automobile - and their fault was the ability to maintain mechanical balance in an environment that's very much prone to vibration.

Probably the reason in 2012, the radio system could no longer utilize the device. The *good* news was the introduction of a simple USB connector that allows the connection of a USB stick full of songs instead.

Kinda bulletproof.

• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog