Brake light modulators

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tj5iveo
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Brake light modulators

Post by tj5iveo »

Hello, have a new '16 GL1800 audio/comfort package. Installed a oem rear spoiler. I have ridden with others and their rear brakes will initially flash when the brakes are applied. Thinking that is a nice safety feature. I usually just tap the brakes a few time. Was looking at some different one on Cruisemans garage. Question is this, since I have the rear spoiler, if I add the modulator, will only the spoiler light flash upon braking or will the brake lights flash as well? Are there better ones, bad one out there? Will it cause any issue with the running lights, turn signal lights in the spoiler? Viewed some install videos and appears to be somewhat easy of an install.

Thanx to all. Ride and b safe out there...

Tom

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Brake light modulators

Post by Andy Cote »

The spoiler is a great addition with the factory LED brake light. Sounds like you might have the upgrade light bar from EC or SoCal that adds directional lights as well. Very nice setup!

Back to your questions. You can install a flasher that works only on the spoiler, only on the OEM bulbs or on all of them. Depends on where you insert it into the harness. Installing for just the spoiler is very easy, plug and play style right where you just plugged the new light in. For the other lights, you will need to get into the harness under the seat.

I use the one from Signal Dynamics set to flash several times then go solid. I have been very happy with this unit.

I also installed the wire that makes the tail light between the OEM turn signals also a brake light and the Add-On sentinel lights that go on the back of the speaker housings. Both of these are connected to the spoiler circuit downstream of the flasher so they all flash together while the stock OEM truck lights are only solid.

LEDs can cause a few unexpected things. My white LED daytime running lights in the lower cowl will flash with the brake lights. I only noticed this as I was chasing an issue with the Kisan headlight modulator and new LED headlamps. Could have been there before the headlight upgrade but regardless, I decided not to chase this issue.

You can replace the OEM brake light bulbs with some that have built in flashers. They synchronize with each other but not sure if they would get along well with a separate spoiler flasher.

Also, there are four OEM bulbs in the trunk. On some bikes, all four operate as brake while two are tail lights. On some bikes, all four are tail lights and only two are brake lights. They are all dual filament bulbs. If you want, there is a jumper cable made by EC (and sold by them or sold by Cyclemax) that lets all four bulbs become both brake and tail lights.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

BTW, it's just me being anal but I use the term brake light flasher as opposed to modulator. I know even Signal Dynamics calls theirs a modulator but in my mind, that word has a very specific definition in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards regarding motorcycle headlights. Use of this word elsewhere may cause confusion about what a headlight modulator does. There is enough of a misunderstanding around headlight modulators already and IMHO they do not need any additional confusion in the mix.

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

tj5iveo

Post by tj5iveo »

Hello,
So here is where i am and would like your advice since it has been spot on. I found a flasher (not modulator!!!) at electrical connection. it is plug and play and allows the already installed spoiler to be programmed for # of flashes and brightness i think. Like $50. What i would like to add after speaking to you is the flashing led's. I found Pathfinders that accomplish that. they r like $55 a pair. so here r the questions. do i need only 2 bulbs for the brake lights or 4? havent checked what bulbs actually come on with the brakes. and if i get the electrical connection flasher, will there b any issues between the pathfinder flashing led brake bulbs and the spoiler? u mentioned something about that in your reply. i have no problem doing either bulbs only or flasher only. so i await your reply.
Thank you for all the expert advice.
Tom

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

If budget is a consideration (isn't it always?) I'd probably go with the EC flasher for the spoiler.

If you have not yet purchased the replacement spoiler light that includes turn signals, please note that the SoCal unit already comes with a flasher and sequential turn signals already built in.

I would check and verify the trunk lights. If it is configured as two brake, I would buy the Electrical Connection jumper kit. I would also buy the F6B style kit to convert the lower light to a brake and tail light. Both of these are fairly inexpensive.

The number of brake light bulbs can be two, four or six depending on above paragraph. SoCal actually has a full rear kit with six flashing brake bulbs for less than the cost of three pair and it includes two turn signal bulbs and a LED flasher unit and a license plate bulb.

Any or all of this can be purchased from Cyclemax in one order.

I don't have the replacement LED brake light bulbs (on my Christmas list) so I can't say for sure about any interference/operational issues. I would guess it's ok, especially if you are all SoCal stuff. When it comes to electronics, I defer to WingAdmin as my repair solutions usually involve a hammer or acetylene torch. I will add that I ordered the HID kit from SoCal for my GL1500. One bulb was low beam only. They sent me an entire new kit, second day UPS, w/o even sending back the bad one. Recently I ordered some SoCal Ultra LED replacements for 1157 bulbs in my trailer. One had no brake light. One call and next day I had a replacement. So, I have needed their customer service and they stood right up.
Last edited by Andy Cote on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

One thing I completely zoned out about until just now. Hyper-lite makes a great little standalone system. I have used their brake lights on a couple cruisers right under the luggage rack and they really pop; I used their turn signals on my Valkyrie Interstate mounted on the saddlebags and I have a combo set (brake/tail/turns) mounted on my current trailer. They have a model specific for GL1800 that are shaped to attach to the back of the speaker pods.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... /73/149689

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Those Hyperlite flashers are incredibly bright, and definitely attention-getting.

tj5iveo

Post by tj5iveo »

cool beans, i will definitely check them out...

tj5iveo

Post by tj5iveo »

Well after lots of input from you guys AND some research. IO went with a Super Flasher from Electrical Connection for the rear spoiler. Col unit. Very small. Easy plug/play install and simple adjustments to set duration and length of flash.

Also went with 2 Pathfinder red flashing led's for the 2 rear brake lights. All simple bulb replacing. Only glitch was applying rear brake pedal did not activate the rear brake lights. That was simple tweak and contact spray and voila', lots of flashing brake lights!!!

Thanx again to all. Ride sage and STAY safe out there..

Tom