04 GL1800 intermittent start

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
aboversite
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A

04 GL1800 intermittent start

Post by aboversite »

My Goldwing refused to start at the shopping ctr. the other day. I boosted it and it started. Took it home and the next day it would not start again. So I started throwing parts at it: New battery, new relay A and relay B. I then took apart the right hand control start button and reverse button. I was hoping to see a lot of crud on the start button contacts but it was reasonably clean. So I cleaned the start and reverse buttons and put in a little dilithium grease.

When I turn on the key, all the correct lights come on. The sidestand indicator works if I cycle the sidestand position. The kill switch indicator works likewise when cycled. When I push the start button, the headlight dims and the radio mutes. The releays A and B click but the starter doesn't engage.

I have tried this 50 times, then today it started normally! I let it run for a while then shut it off. Now it will not start again. Just the clicking relays. Tonight I checked the voltage when pressing the start button. There is no drop in voltage. So does that mean the problem is possibly a loose connection between the relays and the starter? Do I need to remove the tank to check?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Collin

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: 04 GL1800 intermittent start

Post by tamathumper »

Sounds to me like a loose connection, or a gummed up starter.

Try whacking the starter lightly with a hammer and see if it starts then. That will help a few times, but the starter will have to be cleaned and/or rebuilt if that's the actual problem.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

aboversite
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A

Post by aboversite »

OK Thanks. I will give it a try.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Are you saying that at times you do not hear the starter spinning ???

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

aboversite wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:45 pm
My Goldwing refused to start at the shopping ctr. the other day. I boosted it and it started. Took it home and the next day it would not start again. So I started throwing parts at it: New battery, new relay A and relay B. I then took apart the right hand control start button and reverse button. I was hoping to see a lot of crud on the start button contacts but it was reasonably clean. So I cleaned the start and reverse buttons and put in a little dilithium grease.

When I turn on the key, all the correct lights come on. The sidestand indicator works if I cycle the sidestand position. The kill switch indicator works likewise when cycled. When I push the start button, the headlight dims and the radio mutes. The releays A and B click but the starter doesn't engage.

I have tried this 50 times, then today it started normally! I let it run for a while then shut it off. Now it will not start again. Just the clicking relays. Tonight I checked the voltage when pressing the start button. There is no drop in voltage. So does that mean the problem is possibly a loose connection between the relays and the starter? Do I need to remove the tank to check?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Collin
Check the voltage on the fuse labeled “RVS FUSE A” while you are holding the starter button in with the bike in neutral and the key on. If you read battery power on the fuse, then it’s your starter or the cable connected at the starter. That fuse is a sample of the voltage leaving the B starter relay heading to the starter.