Forecast weather, *along* your route

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Forecast weather, *along* your route

Post by tamathumper »

Having fallen victim to crazy weather on cross-country tours, I've often wanted to develop an app that I could program my route into (as one normally would), then see what the weather would be like at each point on my route, at the estimated time I'd be at that point.

Motorcycle Weather is a good Android app for showing whether you want to ride on a given day, but only across that entire day, or "right here, right now".

Windy.com is a great app I started using in Nebraska because Nebraska is so, um, windy. And now, they've developed a feature that lets you plot a route by car, boat or plane and see what the elevation, wind, weather, and other meteorological conditions will be along it. Check it out at:

https://community.windy.com/topic/9596/ ... te-planner
Attachments

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Forecast weather, *along* your route

Post by AZgl1800 »

IMO,

that is more trouble than it is worth.

2 hours of riding is about as far as I trust the weather reports...

I much prefer MyRadar on my cellphone to show me where the weather is.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

LOL, I figured I'd get some Boomer sniping. ;) "Back in my day, we didn't even have maps, we had to commit our route to memory. And if the sky was red in the morning, we'd scratch the route into the paint on our gas tanks... if we were lucky enough to have gas tanks, and not steam motorcycles..."

It's not for everyone, but if you are covering a lot of miles and you aren't intimidated by technology, it might save you some serious grief. I would think with all the time you spend putting Linux on old laptops you'd see some value in it. Oh, wait,... never mind. ;)
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

I've found most weather forecasts are only good for a couple of days for specific things. Generally, one can be okay 7-10 days out, but that's not for certain.

My wife and I haven't taken any trips for than 4 days yet, so we've been in decent shape for the most part. Our only misadventure was one time it turned out warmer than expected and we still had our rain liners in and sweated like crazy. In retrospect, we should've stopped and taken them out at some point, but we were stuck in highway traffic going through Austin and ended up getting to our destination a few hours later than expected and after dark in an unfamiliar area.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

On a long trip, I plan the next day's ride each evening, and confirm it in the morning. I would reference this on the same schedule.