2010 GL1800 Electrical problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
johnltho
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

2010 GL1800 Electrical problems

Post by johnltho »

Recently, my 2010 GL 1800 ABS, with 129K miles and a Motor Trike conversion (done in 2013), has been acting up and we can’t put our finger on the exact problem. After riding for some time, about 30 minutes, the first indication of a problem is the ABS logo starts flashing, then the voltmeter starts fluctuating between 12 and 10, then steadily drops to 8, then the digital dash goes out, then shortly after that she starts to hesitate. One other unusual thing happens – a “CB Error” note appears on the display before it goes blank. At this point, I’ve pulled off the road to the shoulder or a parking lot and turn her off. After waiting for a period of time, from a few minutes to 30 minutes, I start the bike and she runs fine for a few minutes or longer, then starts the voltmeter fluctuation and the downward voltage spiral repeats itself. This has happened three times
The battery and alternator are both less than a year old and the battery checks okay. All fuses check okay. Outside of the usual and customary maintenance work, she has never given me such a fit. I mean 129K and just had the usual maintenance and worn replacement items, until now. We believe there is an electrical problem somewhere but can’t find it. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated. johnltho623@gmail.com

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: 2010 GL1800 Electrical problems

Post by Techdude2000 »

johnltho wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm Recently, my 2010 GL 1800 ABS, with 129K miles and a Motor Trike conversion (done in 2013), has been acting up and we can’t put our finger on the exact problem. After riding for some time, about 30 minutes, the first indication of a problem is the ABS logo starts flashing, then the voltmeter starts fluctuating between 12 and 10, then steadily drops to 8, then the digital dash goes out, then shortly after that she starts to hesitate. One other unusual thing happens – a “CB Error” note appears on the display before it goes blank. At this point, I’ve pulled off the road to the shoulder or a parking lot and turn her off. After waiting for a period of time, from a few minutes to 30 minutes, I start the bike and she runs fine for a few minutes or longer, then starts the voltmeter fluctuation and the downward voltage spiral repeats itself. This has happened three times
The battery and alternator are both less than a year old and the battery checks okay. All fuses check okay. Outside of the usual and customary maintenance work, she has never given me such a fit. I mean 129K and just had the usual maintenance and worn replacement items, until now. We believe there is an electrical problem somewhere but can’t find it. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated. johnltho623@gmail.com
Have you put a handheld voltmeter on the battery terminals when it’s acting up? If so, is the voltage jumping around there as well? If you start it and watch the voltmeter, what does it do if you pull the cruise control fuse?
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

johnltho wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm ...The battery and alternator are both less than a year old and the battery checks okay. All fuses check okay. Outside of the usual and customary maintenance work, she has never given me such a fit. I mean 129K and just had the usual maintenance and worn replacement items, until now. We believe there is an electrical problem somewhere but can’t find it. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated. johnltho623@gmail.com
It really sounds like the alternator is at fault. It sounds as if it stops charging and the battery is taking up the load until the battery gets to such a low level that it can not sustain the electrical needs of the bike. Then you shut it down and wait for a while and the battery does what a battery does, it recovers enough to allow the bike to start and run for a few minutes until it gives up the ghost.

When you replaced the alternator, did you get a factory warrantee? Was it a Honda alternator, a new aftermarket or a rebuilt?

As Techdude suggested, use a known good volt-ohm-meter to test the alternator output and battery voltage while the bike is running.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
topgun
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by topgun »

First thought was a dirty or loose ground. Perhaps check frame ground and battery terminals
Next might be do a voltage drop measurement of the battery cables themselves