IS LOUD CLUTCH SOUND NORMAL ???

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tkkiguy
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

IS LOUD CLUTCH SOUND NORMAL ???

Post by tkkiguy »

I just bought a 2008 gl1800. 72k miles. Well taken care of. But changing gears as i drive the gears from 1st on up to 5th sound awefully loud, Would a certain oil change make it smoother???

tkkiguy

Re: IS LOUD CLUTCH SOUND NORMAL ???

Post by tkkiguy »

By the way, i am in orlando florida, always warm, never gets below 50 degrees even in winter. what would be the best oil for the clunky clutch ?

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Ensure that the oil is for motorcycles with wet clutch, JASO MA/MA2 certified. Then if you want normal oil, go with Honda's GL4. If you want synthetic, then Amsoil 10W40 Metric, Mobil 1 10W40 Motorcycle oil, or Shell T-6 100% Synthetic for motorcycles in a 10W40. I have used all three of these in my 2009 Goldwing with success. There was a problem reported some time back which appeared to ONLY apply to the 2009 models, in which the sprague clutch would not operate all the time every time in colder weather with 10W40 oils and even with the synthetics in this weight and I experienced that problem. Using 10W30 made the problem go away, but in my opinion, the problem was not severe enough to get me to go that route. I still use 100% Synthetics in 10W40, in one of the three brands I mentioned, and I just tolerate the rare time the starter spins without the clutch engaging. That would not seem to apply to your bike as it is a 2008, nor to the colder temps as you live in Florida.

As to the loudness of the gear engagement, as you get more used to the bike, you will find the sweet spot between clutching/engaging and RPMs that is softest to you. Speed shifting is usually going to give the most clunky, slow shifting, the least clunky, sometimes with a little throttle, for me and my motorcycle. They all seem different.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

I have a 2007 and live just over an hour from you.
Agree that the Goldwing will shift more smoothly at certain RPM's (I've learned over time).
I use Amsoil 10W40 and have had no problems, I've had good luck with full synthetics. The motorcycle definitely shifts more smoothly right after I change the oil.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I've read some posts that suggest not pulling the clutch all the way in leads to smoother, less clunky shifts. Can't prove it personally, just relaying the info.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

tkkiguy wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:32 am
I just bought a 2008 gl1800. 72k miles. Well taken care of. But changing gears as i drive the gears from 1st on up to 5th sound awefully loud, Would a certain oil change make it smoother???
Would you describe "awfully loud" as clunky or bangy ???

My shop does more 5th gen GL1800 transmission repairs then probably any other shop in world. Owner literally bring them here form all corners of the United States. I only write that to give credibility to recommending Honda's GL4 conventional oil. For your year, Honda want 10w-30, and that is what I'd recommend too ... nothing else ... let me restate that ... nothing else !!!

If you don't know how old your oil is, I recommend changing it. No matter what oil, oil weight, or transmission that you have, our Wings tear up the molecular structure of the oil chain. It is called "oil shearing" ... if you need more info on that, ask google. Anyway, our transmissions become clunky when the oil gets about 6500 miles of wear on it. However, clunky can be caused by other things too.

After the oil is changed, and if your transmission is still clunky, the next thing to do is to bleed the clutch, and service the clutch lever. Per Honda, that needs done every 12k. If that does not help, you might have bought one that has a transmission issue. Unfortunately, the used 5th gen market is flooded with transmission problems. If you need you Wing test road, I do that for free. My shop, JustWings - GL1800 Service and Repair, is located in Zephyrhills, FL. If I can be of anymore help, you can also call. My phone number is on my web page.

Also, in regards to clutch operation and shifting. I suggest you only follow the operation instructions as printed in the Owner's Manual. Only do what others advise, if it agrees with the published document that Honda provides with all new Wings ... the Owners Manual. In there you will find proper instructions on how to operate, care for, and maintain your Wing.

tkkiguy

Post by tkkiguy »

Thanks to all responses. Will take it into consideration. And i will make an appointment or call your shop in zephyrhills .I'm only 30 minutes away. Thanks.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

I own a 06 1800 with 74k on it, I use Amsoil 10w40 metric, it's the same oil the previous owner used so I figured I would continue. I also think the shifting seems a little clunky, even for synthetic oil. But on that note my 96 1500 that had 150k also was a little clunky and I used HONDA GN4. Yes it is smoother shifting after a fresh oil change but that lasts about 500 miles. I'm not complaining, just an observation. As of now I will continue with the Amsoil, expensive yes but I change oil every spring, and I only ride probably 4-5k a year. Sad, but having a cabin, a house and working FT keeps me out of trouble!

Bob

Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 75k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!