Fuel pump fuses

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
BKTLST
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Fuel pump fuses

Post by BKTLST »

My 2015 Goldwing will not start. Had the bike on battery tender for three days. Accidentally unplugged the bike BEFORE unplugging the tender🙄Now, Engine cranks strong but won’t start. Battery is brand new. My fuel pump is NOT COMING ON! Trying to locate fuses 11, 18, and 20. I have no service manual. Fuse 11 is a 10A, Fuses 18, and 20 are 20A. I have NO CLUE how to find these fuses. I was told these fuses may be linked to the fuel pump, but I can’t find them.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Fuel pump fuses

Post by tamathumper »

Do you mean you can't locate the fuse block (in front of the battery), or you don't know which fuses are which?

Google GL1800 fuse diagram and include your model year, as I know they changed a bit year to year.

FYI, 11, 18 and 20 have nothing to do with the fuel pump according to that diagram.
Attachments

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

BKTLST wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 am
My 2015 Goldwing will not start. Had the bike on battery tender for three days. Accidentally unplugged the bike BEFORE unplugging the tender🙄Now, Engine cranks strong but won’t start. Battery is brand new. My fuel pump is NOT COMING ON! Trying to locate fuses 11, 18, and 20. I have no service manual. Fuse 11 is a 10A, Fuses 18, and 20 are 20A. I have NO CLUE how to find these fuses. I was told these fuses may be linked to the fuel pump, but I can’t find them.
the order in which you unplug the Battery Tender doesn't make any difference. They are made to withstand that kind of use.

Have you ever seen any Error codes appear, or the FI ( Fault Indicator Light ) show up?

the test assumes the engine will start though:

To check for those, Key Off.
Kickstand Down.
Tranny in Neutral.
Key ON. Press start button.
do NOT touch throttle, just let it idle.

wait and watch, the FI light should start to blink in a few minutes.
------------

when you attempt to start the bike, are you twisting the throttle any at all, if you are, don't do that.
Just leave it alone, and if it starts leave the throttle alone and let it run until the Fans Recycle Twice, this will Reset the ECM.

You say the Fuel Pump does not run?
I can't hear it run in the first place, how are you determining that it does not?
It is a high pressure pump, output should be over 30 psi, the actual psi I can't remember.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

BKTLST wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 am
When you first turn on the key, does the engine light come on, do you hear the fuel pump run for about 1.5 seconds? If so, you don’t have a fuel pump issue, you have an ECM that “thinks” something is wrong. Make sure it’s in neutral with a good neutral light and crank the engine continuously for more than 10 seconds and it will flash the engine light. Count the flashes, longs =10 and shorts = 1. If you get a 19, the CKP sensor signal is too low for the ECM to use and it will keep the fuel pump off and not allow the engine to start. Let us know if you get a code and what you get.

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

Thank you for your response. No. The engine light indicator comes on STEADY, after I start cranking the engine. When I first turn the key on, I hear nothing but some relays clicking towards the rear of the bike, seat removed. I assume the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, (like most cars?)

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

BKTLST wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 am
Thank you for your response. No. The engine light indicator comes on STEADY, after I start cranking the engine. When I first turn the key on, I hear nothing but some relays clicking towards the rear of the bike, seat removed. I assume the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, (like most cars?)
Yes, it’s inside the tank. So, what do you get if you just turn on the key and don’t crank it, what does the engine light do?

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

The engine cranks perfectly. Good and strong. Just won’t start. I have the seat off so I can hear if the fuel pump is coming on, but I don’t hear it. I may not be getting spark, going to pull a plug and check. One responder asked if I’m turning the throttle when I start the engine. I couldn’t reply (don’t know why), to him, but no, I never twist the throttle when starting my Wing. No need to!

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

If I just turn on the ignition key, there is NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. That only comes on STEADY, when I crank the engine. It never blinks.

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

Are there any fuses that are specifically dedicated to the fuel pump, and if so, where is it, (are they), located??? TIA

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

BKTLST wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 pm
Are there any fuses that are specifically dedicated to the fuel pump, and if so, where is it, (are they), located??? TIA
No specific fuel pump fuse. It’s powered from the FI/Ignition relay along with the ECM and the coils. Since you’re not getting the engine light coming on when you turn on the key, there’s an issue with the ECM. I would pull the shelter off and check the ECM’s plugs to see if they are fully connected. Has any work been done to it lately? If you have a voltmeter, find the black/yellow wire in the ECM’s connector, leave it connected and back probe it to see if you get battery power on it when you turn on the key. If it’s missing, turn on your cruise system and see if you get the orange cruise light on the dash. If you do, then you have an issue with the power coming to the ECM.

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

Many thanks for your kind assistance and troubleshooting expertise. Greatly aporeciated
No work has ever been done to the ECM, or the fuel pump, and I have never had cruise control issues. But I will try your suggestions 👍🏻

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

BKTLST wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 am
Many thanks for your kind assistance and troubleshooting expertise. Greatly aporeciated
No work has ever been done to the ECM, or the fuel pump, and I have never had cruise control issues. But I will try your suggestions 👍🏻
Ok, sorry, never mind about the cruise control, I was thinking a different model year. You have black/yellow wires at the fuel pump relay that should have power with the key on as well as at the ECM connectors. See if you can find power on any of those wires with the key on.