Bluetooth & mp3 - check my thoughts

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
fibersport
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800
1990 Goldwing 1500 - SOLD!
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe - sold
1986 Rebel - sold
1972 Trail 70 (still have it!)

Bluetooth & mp3 - check my thoughts

Post by fibersport »

Having my 2001 1800 for only a few weeks, the one topic I find a lot of is the incorporation of Bluetooth and mp3 players. My bike has the CD changer but was told it doesn't work, I do enjoy my own mix of music at times and have the ability to play USB sticks or micro-SD cards in my car so that's what I've gotten used to. While my normal ride to work is only 30 miles, there are times when the music is better than the radio and I like the ability to skip through the songs using the bikes controls. In addition, should the occasional call pop up, I would like to be able to take it. In addition, I have a couple of friends who I ride with individually and the ability to communicate with them would also be a plus. My bike does not have the CB and they don't own Wings - can't really hold that against them though.

My thoughts to accomplish all this without breaking the bank would be to install this mp3 player
https://jmcorp.com/JM-Digital-Music-Pla ... p_316.html
and get this headset
http://www.buysena.com/smh10-10.html?sc ... egory=4617

I know this topic is aging but since my bike is an '01, it doesn't have the sound/communication system as the the newer Wings do. I should also say that both of my riding friends also have the Sena system so connection with them would be easier. Just to make sure, will these two items give me what I'm looking for? I don't keep any music on my phone so the ability to use either a USB stick or memory card is high on the priority list as well.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: Bluetooth & mp3 - check my thoughts

Post by kwthom »

Yes, but you might consider this headset:

http://www.buysena.com/us/20-K-Refurbished/
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

My two cents.

The J&M MP3 player is a good upgrade over the factory CD player. I believe all the controls will work as you described. Note that the J&M USB unit can receive Bluetooth audio from another source; it does not provide two way with your phone nor does it connect the bike's system to a headset.

If you want to use the Goldwing onboard system, you will need to either use the specialized Sena mount that hardwires to Goldwing stock five pin connector and does Bluetooth to your phone or replace the bike side hardwire with a Bluetooth transceiver (aka dongle). J&M and Sena both have dongles.

If you can live with music from your phone, a GPS or a Bluetooth enabled MP3 player, you could just use a headset and not interface to bike at all. I believe Sena 20 will connect to more than one device as well as still connect to other Sena users. I use the Sena SRL (same as a 20) and connect via Bluetooth to Freewire, Garmin GPS and phone (three devices). It also does built in FM and obviously will direct intercom with other Bluetooth headsets or multiple SENA headsets. Works most of the time.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

Thanks kwthom, I took your advice and ordered the 20S EVO, it wasn't that much more than the SM10-10 I was going to get. I figured this was a must have anyway.

Andy, thanks for the advice. After I submitted my post, I realized that what I had planned lacked the ability to to connect from the helmet to the bike. I'll look into your suggestions but may have to save up a little bit since I ordered the SENA unit.

Sure would have been easier had Honda been a little more advanced on the sound system ...
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

fibersport wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:06 pm Thanks kwthom, I took your advice and ordered the 20S EVO, it wasn't that much more than the SM10-10 I was going to get. I figured this was a must have anyway.

Andy, thanks for the advice. After I submitted my post, I realized that what I had planned lacked the ability to to connect from the helmet to the bike. I'll look into your suggestions but may have to save up a little bit since I ordered the SENA unit.

Sure would have been easier had Honda been a little more advanced on the sound system ...
Glad I could help you spend a few more bones...

Now, can't dog Honda on a system they designed in 1999 for this bike. Bluetooth was still in its infancy at that time, and cordless headsets didn't happen until '99 as well.

Honda doesn't do 'bleeding edge' technology that well. See the '18 & up bikes for exactly what I mean.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

Just wanted to give an update on what i have done and how it works. My first two purchases were the SENA 20S EVO and the J&M mp3 player. The mp3 player works fine and is controllable with the bike controls. The SENA 20S works pretty good as well, phone calls are very clear while wearing an HJC full face helmet. Sound quality of the mp3 files is very good as well.

Yesterday I received a SENA SM10 which I promptly installed this morning. I paired the SENA 20S to it with no problems. I plugged it into the bike with the adapter that I bought separately and I now can listed to my mp3's from the J&M unit through the bike to my wireless headset. I then plugged my wired headset into the rear receptacle and I can hear music in those speakers as well. Since nobody else was home, I couldn't really verify 100% if it works on intercom, I seem to be able to pick up sounds from the wired headset to my wireless headset but I don't seem to be able to go the other way.

(edit thought I had a ground loop but it seems I have the "microphonics problem, I wonder if I just got another wireless headset if that problem would go away since there is no physical connection to the bike .......)

Overall it seems to be working pretty well, a few bugs to work out but it's doing what I had hoped it would. As I fine tune things I'll report back.
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I have the J&M unit also. I have the 4 folders and basic folder with 95 songs in each. That is 475 songs. I play mine through the CD player and everything is just fine. But, I wish now, I had not wasted my money on that unit. Problem one was when the flash drive used went bad. Now, they are cheaper and so the cost to replace was not too bad plus my folders were still on the computer and just loading them back to a better flash drive was not a problem. But, my 2005 and I know the 2001 also has the auxiliary stereo plug in the left pocket with plug in under the pocket. I have two MP3 players that the stereo plug inserts into and I can play those players through the radio aux system. I don't have to change folders(CDs) while riding. I can also set the MP3 players to play continuous beginning to end or scrambled. They can also be charging while running.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

It's too bad some whiz-kid doesn't come up with a firmware upgrade for our older radios to eliminate the limitations. I know about the AUX in plug and have used it but I still like the ability to scroll through the songs using the bikes controls. I usually use my bike for commuting and some days there are songs that I just don't (or do) want to hear depending on the way the day has gone, being able to jump through them with the switch on the handlebar is better than the way my mp3 player does.
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I agree with it being a nice thing to scroll to hear the songs you want to hear on a particular day, etc. That is why keeping the J&M unit as a good thing and I am not getting rid of it. I organized my folders, pretty much to make it easy to do just that. Each folder's music is different from each other in type of music. But on long rides and or trips, I just play the MP3s and let them take my mind where ever. I'm leavin on a Red Wing, Don't know when I'll be back again........The Mama's and the Pappa's sang great songs. Puff the Magic Dragon......
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

That's about 5-10 before I really got into music but I remember them well! I agree about just letting the songs go though, I've never taken a ride long enough to do that, maybe I should.

The J&M also accepts plug in mp3 players as well and I think will charge at the same time, not sure though if there is any control. I have my old iPhone that I'm going to set up as a dedicated mp3 player so I can give it a try, I'll make that a winter project.
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

fibersport wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:18 am It's too bad some whiz-kid doesn't come up with a firmware upgrade for our older radios to eliminate the limitations.
There's a few hard-wired limitations internal to the head unit, from my study of a few of the initial integration issues way back in the BikeMP3 days. Thus, not just a simple 'reverse-engineer' the code, and fake it out.

That was the reason the BikeMP3 CB radio hack crashed and burned.

Another story for another time.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

If you're still fighting the microphonics going wireless won't defeat it. The issue is in the design of the earlier GL1800 radios. It should be a non-issue with the bike's intercom turned off. To test - tap on the shelter above the gas door; if the intercom is on you can hear it in your helmet wired or wireless; turn intercom off and repeat and you can't hear your tapping.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

OK, that makes total sense. I don't have a second wireless headset and I rarely have a passenger, however if the headsets were to bypass the intercom by using bluetooth, then the problem should not exist. Thanks for the comment.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Iny case I have 2 Sena 10S and they are paired to 2 Sena Freewire and can hear all bike audio and use the CB or Intercom. I do have the microphonic issue. We can connect direct headset to headset vox intercom but if it's real windy it stays on and bike audio is disconnected. There is a company that corrects the issue in our older radios, I just haven't had the down time to send it over to him. He also offered an amplifier upgrade but last I read that chip was no longer going to be manufactured so that's probably a short lived option now. I just turn the intercom volume down a bit and it doesn't bother me to much.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

I read about him too, seemed like a decent deal. I'll have to see how much it really bothers me though. I thought he said that many of the older radios don't need the amplifier upgrade, could be wrong though.