Wingstuff software

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
fibersport
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800
1990 Goldwing 1500 - SOLD!
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe - sold
1986 Rebel - sold
1972 Trail 70 (still have it!)

Wingstuff software

Post by fibersport »

Has anyone used the wingstuff software and is it worth it? I'm looking at their USB adapter unit to replace the not working CD player I have and wonder if I would be wasting my money on the software they have.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Re: Wingstuff software

Post by bstig60 »

I am not aware of any software that replaces a CD player. but I have seen an MP3 player that replaces the CD, Cyclemax has it. Wingstuff may as well.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... yer/435399
Bill

fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

You misunderstood, the software does not replace the CD unit, it is used in conjunction with the mp3 player they sell. The mp3 player does in fact replace the Honda CD player if installed, the software just makes it a little easier to set up the USB stick. I ended up buying both the mp3 player and the software. The software is a little dated in my opinion but it does the job very nicely once you understand how it works. You could get by without the software but in the long run it will help.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Could you please explain further about the software? Who makes it? As you can tell from lack of replies to your inquiry, not many (or any) folks here have used it.

I don't have the player that you have; I am just using the direct thumb drive (2012-2017) which has limitations. But I had read about the J&M USB player thinking I would be buying an earlier bike. I know it had limitations as well. Very curious about what this software does and if it removes any of these limitations.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

First off, I have no connection with any vendor or product included in this topic.

Since you have a newer bike, you don't have the same limitations I have with my '01. I bought the J&M mp3 player to replace my CD changer. So far I am happy with it although I wish it included a memory card slot in addition to the USB socket. I have also noticed a bug or two that requires you to reset or reboot it. It also does not allow you to see what song is being played, there is no communication with the bike screen other than the bike thinks it's a CD changer but that is a limitation of the Honda sound system. That's where the issue arises, the Honda sound system. There are a few different generations of the sound system for our bikes. The '01 is the most limited in that it can only see 6 CD's. This software allows you to more easily manipulate your songs into what are now actually virtual CD's on your USB stick. There is also a number of song limitation, on my bike it's 45. This software makes you pick what mp3 player you have as well as your bike generation, it then sets up your number of virtual CD's and number of song limits.

Here is the link to the software https://wingstuff.com/products/31880-bi ... g-software

I think that Wingstuff may have had someone write it for them as there is no reference to any name in or on the software, even in the legal section. Since I ended up buying it, I will say it could be a little more user friendly. It does what it claims although it's use is not very intuitive. That being said, once you learn how to use it, it does allow you to organize your music probably easier than you could do just using your computer. This software does not remove any limitations of the J&M mp3 player or the Honda sound system, it only makes it a little easier to manipulate your music as you make up your song list. I have not tried this software for my car system which uses both USB and micro SD slots but I have a feeling it may make that easier as well.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Thanks. Probably not useful to me. I had been using the iPhone plugged in to the USB cable but wanted the phone where I could see it and still wanted all the Honda controls to work. I copied all the iPod files to MP3 in iTunes and then copied those over to a separate folder on the PC with subfolders for each artist. I subsequently saved that folder to a SD card and a USB thumb drive which I now just leave plugged in to the truck and bike respectively. Works fine for me since I usually just random play (shuffle) for the whole library.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

In the earlier days of J&M MP3 players, there were both an SD card slot and a USB slot. I have that version in my 2009 GL1800 which suffers approximately the same limitations as your 2001, but I can put 59 songs per CD. The software you speak of, or a variation thereof was downloadable free of charge from J&M. I tried it and concluded that I was just as happy sorting my music myself. If I had had to pay for the software, I would have been disappointed in how non intuitive and limited it was. I also had to reboot my player quite often, as in, whenever I hit a good bump, or the player got tired or whatever. When at WingDing, the year after getting the MP3 player, J&M had a service booth set up. I took the player in to them, they went behind a curtain, and fifteen minutes later came back and gave me what looked like a different "used" player and told me they just replaced mine with a brand new one. I was not overly impressed. I installed it and it is pretty much the same, complete with the occasional requirement to reboot for no apparent reason. I have now had it about nine years and it has served me well with the requisite irritations inherent in all electronics.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

fibersport
1986 Rebel - sold

Post by fibersport »

I ended up buying it and like you feel it is not very user friendly. I could have downloaded the trial but figured buying it along with the mp3 player got me free shipping so it really wasn't the full price. There aren't that many mp3 players out there that will interface with the bike controls, most likely because it a small market.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

I tested that software for the original author years ago. Sadly, I wasn't impressed.

I know that *I* didn't need it, but there did need to be a method for others who aren't computer savvy to organize their music libraries to their liking.

That's why I wasn't impressed.

• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog