Accessories opinion

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Accessories opinion

Post by Scooter363y »

Gentlemen,
I have a 2014 wing I have many accessories on it now but I am considering getting a few more and would like some opinions from those that have them already. How you like yours and if they are worth the investment.

1. Corbin seat, I really like the seat backrest combo with matching welts but have a concern about the cost!
2. Vance & Hines mufflers, look nice and sound great but same concern about cost/value
3. Progressive shock/spring front fork dual damper upgrade.

Right now I have some accessories that I really like:
Centramatic wheel balancers
Rear spoiler with led brake light
Rear brake light/running light upgrade
Sheep skin throw over for the seat

Any opinions are appreciated

Ride safe
Scooter

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Accessories opinion

Post by Ghostman »

When It comes to the wing if youre going to travel might as well be comfortable ,right! Ive got a Wingsoft large on mine which puts me 1 in up and 2 inches back and thats just enough to make my knees more comfortable on long trips. I didnt mind the stock seat except my knees started to ache because of being cramped so far forward. Ive heard both good and bad things about Corbin and there is some comments from other forums on the web.Whatever aftermarket seat you choose unless you get a used one are going to cost a bit. When it comes to the exhaust I like the quietness of the wing. My neighbors cant tell when Im coming or going and I can hear the radio in my helmet. My last bike had Cobra pipes and at first it was enjoyable,but I found on long trips it actually became tiresome. For me a quiet wing is all about riding.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

my '02 had a Corbin seat on it when I bought it 4 years ago.
hated that thing, traded it straight across for a brand new 2010 OEM seat, much better now.

I love my Utopia Backrest, can't leave home without it.

Bling?
my '02 had at least $4,000 worth of Kury crap on it, I stripped nearly all of it off the 1st day, especially the pieces that reflected the sun into my eyes.

bling is for you, it is not worth one dime when it comes time to sell the bike.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

fibersport
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800
1990 Goldwing 1500 - SOLD!
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe - sold
1986 Rebel - sold
1972 Trail 70 (still have it!)

Post by fibersport »

I had a Corbin on my 1500 and loved it. I put a stock seat on it for awhile and hated the spongy feel and the vinyl was hot, the Corbin on the other hand was much harder and covered in leather which would breath. It also allowed me to flat foot the bike, the 1500's are pretty wide compared to the 1800's. The previous owner of my 1800 had a Corbin but sold it off, wish I could find a decent used one for not too much money, I would really rather have it compared to the stock one. But that's just my opinion, I think the Corbin's are a love/hate relationship. If you've never sat on one see of you can find someone that will let you try theirs, you can tell in a very short time if you like it.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Most of the folks I have spoken with recommend waiting until the bike has 35,000 to 55,000 miles before making the suspension upgrades but if you are really disappointed with the handling, of course you can do it at any time.

I also appreciate the quiet stock pipes. I've had more throaty pipes on my Valkyries but the Wing is a different bike for a different experience.

Seats. Many brands and styles to choose from. Some vendors offer generous trial periods and others have demonstrator units Check return policy because they are expensive. I've had aftermarket seats on five bikes; sometimes more than one on the same bike. In each case I bought them used so when I didn't like them, I was able to resell for a small loss. Paying full retail without at least trying it first could cost you some money if you decide it's not for you.

Other things not mentioned. I would suggest the SoCal upgrade light for the trunk lid spoiler (comes with directionals and brake light flasher). I also suggest lower cowl lights, headlight modulator, air horn and highway pegs.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y »

I have running/driving/fog lights in the lower cowling. The led split kind with two elements and I really like them!

As far as the front end I can tell there is something just not right with it. It functions like it should but it’s not right. Sort of like the six million dollar man “ we can rebuild it better that it was “. Or as a friend of mine likes to say “ mo better than it never was”.
I think getting the damping even on both fork sides is a start with a fluid flush and change. I have the anti dive shim if I can find/remember where I put it!

I am experimenting with a led headlight upgrade. I have the motor home upgraded and have a set for my burgman scooter (just not in yet). Waiting for an opportunity to install.

Thanks for the opinions
Ride safe
Scooter

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Excellent.

For the GL1800, I would stay with either Electrical Connection or SoCal MotoGear for headlights (check product review pages).

When you do the front suspension (or sooner), I would add a fork brace. Also, while not the principal reason, Helibars will stiffen up the front as well.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y »

I have heard that a fork brace will help with the front end. But in my opinion it helps by more solidly tying both fork legs together to fight off the uneven damping forces in the forks. Where one leg (right) controls the damping function and the other (left) controls anti dive.
The brace merely addressed the symptoms and not the cause. The cause is the uneven forces in the fork assembly. The progressive upgrade puts even damping in both fork legs To eliminate this problem (cause) and therefore not needing a fork brace!

Ride safe
Scooter

oilboy1162
Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Post by oilboy1162 »

i went with the full mega-monty traxxion front and rear, and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY.
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin »

Scooter363y wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:52 am

1. Corbin seat, I really like the seat backrest combo with matching welts but have a concern about the cost!
2. Vance & Hines mufflers, look nice and sound great but same concern about cost/value
3. Progressive shock/spring front fork dual damper upgrade.

Right now I have some accessories that I really like:
Centramatic wheel balancers
Rear spoiler with led brake light
Rear brake light/running light upgrade
Sheep skin throw over for the seat

Any opinions are appreciated

Ride safe
Scooter
1. - I have Diamond Custom Seat - It is my 4th one - I hated the OEM seat even with only 25K miles on it when I got the bike -- it was awful
If you are going to ride any appreciable miles in a single day a good seat is a key component in my opinion

2. V & H make great slip ons. They are louder and sound good I think. But there seems a false value here - no real benefit (cost saving or performance improvement of any great amount for the expense) Save the money and buy fuel ;)

3. Suspension -
Front bang for buck best bet = Progressive Monotubes - Sure Traxxion is better but at a higher $$ - Get much of the improvement and much less cost
Rear spend the savings from the front on the Traxxion rear - Now you have the best ROI .

Your other items
Centramatic wheel balancers -- I use them and LOVE them so good !
Rear spoiler with led brake light -- Yep :)
Rear brake light/running light upgrade-- YEP :)
Sheep skin throw over for the seat -- won't need it with a quality seat
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Munk's Maxim -- There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle

a1atcs
Motorcycle: 2015 gl1800 goldwing

Post by a1atcs »

Helibars and traxxion suspension has been the best money spent on my gl1800!