headlight adjuster/preload down

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
bronze
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing Motor Trike conversion

headlight adjuster/preload down

Post by bronze »

I just bought a 2008 goldwing trike conversion. The fog light switch was not working, so I replaced it with a simple push/pull switch (only because I had to replace the whole panel otherwise, for $603.00!) The fog lights work just fine now; however, the headlight adjuster and the preload 'down' switch have not worked since. None of that wiring was touched; and I've checked everything I can think of, including the relays. Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on?

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: headlight adjuster/preload down

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Here is link to order in a Honda fog lamp switch. Many people replace the fog lamp switch with ones no made to live outdoors and their replacement will go bad in a short time.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/08V31-MCA-10008

As for you headlamps not going up/down, and assuming you do not have an air bagger, I'd start by unseating, and inspecting for corrosion the big gray connector under the LF pocket. Is the part #6 missing in the fish below ???

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... -gl1800-06
bronze

Post by bronze »

I appreciate your reply. There are two problems - 1) The switch cannot be bought separately from what I understand. That means in order to get the switch, one must purchase the whole panel. Price in Canada? - $603.00 + tax.
2) The trike kit has air shocks which are inflated by a switch in that panel. Six of the wires in that panel cable have been cut to accommodate the conversion. Having said that, I took some advice that I received from another website, and got the headlight adjust motor to operate by putting a jumper wire in from another source to get power to the control rheostat.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Fog lamps are a HondaLine accessory. There were about 55 of them, one of which were adding fog lamps. In Honda's fog lamp kit came a switch. From the factory, the switch panel had a plug where the switch gets fitted when fog lamps are installed. The part number I listed above is for the fog lamps switch all by itself. Honda sells switch all by itself.

It sounds like someone butchered wires to your switch panel :( Some trike kits disable the system that adjusts the rear shock; however, it sounds like someone made up their own method.
bronze

Post by bronze »

Thanks for the info. I was told by a Honda dealer that separate switches were not available. I'll be checking this out. Never thought of this before, but the fog lights are in the running boards, so it's likely a Motor Trike option, not Honda. Either way I could still use the Honda switch. Regarding the headlight adjuster, didn't realize the engine has to be running for it to work! Go figure. Turning the ignition switch to 'ON' doesn't do it. As well, the deflate solenoid for rear shocks was stuck closed (bike had been parked for two years). Everything working now, I'm a happy guy.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Most aftermarket light companies either copied or redesigned the fog lamp switch. In either case, the best one to buy is still the Honda one.
bronze

Post by bronze »

Thanks for that; appreciate your post.
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

The foglight switch is not part of the OEM panel. It is added when foglights are installed. As stated above, you can buy the FL switch separately.
Where did you come up with the $600 price? Partzilla shows it for about $190.
SWITCH ASSY., LEVELING
35800-MCA-A61

by Honda

$194.76 2% OFF
$190.19
bronze

Post by bronze »

I was told by a Honda dealer that the switch was not available separately, and I had to buy the complete panel, hence the price. Don't forget, I also live in Canada, where everything costs more, and nobody knows why. Thanks for your note.
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

bronze wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am I was told by a Honda dealer that the switch was not available separately, and I had to buy the complete panel, hence the price. Don't forget, I also live in Canada, where everything costs more, and nobody knows why. Thanks for your note.
You could order it here: https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon ... r-gl180006
Even with shipping to Canada, it would probably be a lot less than $600. You can contact them to see what the shipping would be.

Even with the exchange rate, I think you will save a lot.
bronze

Post by bronze »

Thanks for that, much appreciated.