2016 Trunk hinges binding after seat change

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Hootie
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Trike

2016 Trunk hinges binding after seat change

Post by Hootie »

Have 2016 1800 audio, CSC Viper trike conversion. Got it in May of this year with 6,000 miles, has 9,500 miles now.. Rivco passenger arm rests, Today replaced OEM seat and passenger back rest with Hartco seat. Got seat installed and temp installed back rest opened trunk and checked the 2 holes for alignment, good, stopped at that point to do my bus route, came back and put back rest on and popped trunk to install screws, it unlatched but would not lift up more that 2 inches, binding. Will not open, it feels like it will break something if I continue to raise it, trying to figure it out, has not given us any problems before now.. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you for your time

Hootie

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: 2016 Trunk hinges binding after seat change

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

It's might be easy to blame the seat; however, possibly the trike kit was not fitted correctly. Where you able to easily install all 4 mount bolts for the seat ??? You might want to reinstall the OEM seat and passenger backrest and compare its fitment to another Wing.

You might want to install the new seat on another Wing too.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice trike but we like pics. Really like to see pics of the seat and backrest.

To make sure I read correctly. With seat properly bolted in place and with backrest in place without the screws installed, the trunk lid moves correctly. When you install the screws in the backrest, the lid closes but then binds when you try to open.

Have you checked with RIVCO and HARTCO to ensure they are compatible? I remember reading that the design of some of the backrests conflict with RIVCO armrests since they mount completely different than the other brands. You may have to squeeze and push to force the lid open and reinstall the OEM backrest.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

I temp installed it first, before my bus route, opened trunk to check alignment of holes, good, had to go do bus route, took backrest off, closed lid, after bus route, put backrest on and that is when the lid would not move more than 2 inches, and binding.
I pulled the Rivco passenger arm rest and no joy, going to pull seat after our safety meet. More to come
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Forgot about that ... Andy Cote pointed out that possibly the wrong seat was installed. 5th gens have 2 different seat pan designs. One seat is designed for the 2001-10s, and another for 2012-17.

Also, make sure your hinge bolts are tight at the lid. There are 3 on each side.
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:42 am Forgot about that ... Andy Cote pointed out that possibly the wrong seat was installed. 5th gens have 2 different seat pan designs. One seat is designed for the 2001-10s, and another for 2012-17.

Also, make sure your hinge bolts are tight at the lid. There are 3 on each side.
GWG

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I remember one brand aftermarket backrest that wrapped out and around the speaker pods. Bigger than stock. Only would be an issue with Hondaline or RIVCO armrests.

Also, frankly, I can't see where use of a 01-10 seat pan on a 12-17 frame would cause this issue. It's the bottom shape and fit with the side covers. As long as the seat bolts are actually installed in the seat bolt holes, nothing significant to cause pressure on the backrest or trunk lid. Thinking the same on the trike conversion. Is there any part of that conversion that could jam the trunk lid or put pressure on the backrest?

Since it worked once, I believe that the backrest is pushing down on the back of the seat or its side bolsters are jammed against the armrests/speaker pods. I can't believe that something has changed the actual hinges themselves.

Andy

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

Ok, took seat off, took armrest off. No wire bundles or cannon plug in way, no joy on lid opening still binding after about 2 inches. Anyone know how to get to hinges with out being able to get in trunk, hinges seems to be the most logical problem now, something has jammed one or both up. Thank you for replys so far. Head scratcher, Hootie
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

ok. There goes my ideas.

I can see hos a foreign object could jam the hinges from closing. Once closed, I'm trying to think of something that would cause a jam. Also thinking of a way to unbolt the hinges without opening the trunk.

GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:42 am
GWG

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I remember one brand aftermarket backrest that wrapped out and around the speaker pods. Bigger than stock. Only would be an issue with Hondaline or RIVCO armrests.

Also, frankly, I can't see where use of a 01-10 seat pan on a 12-17 frame would cause this issue. It's the bottom shape and fit with the side covers. As long as the seat bolts are actually installed in the seat bolt holes, nothing significant to cause pressure on the backrest or trunk lid. Thinking the same on the trike conversion. Is there any part of that conversion that could jam the trunk lid or put pressure on the backrest?

Since it worked once, I believe that the backrest is pushing down on the back of the seat or its side bolsters are jammed against the armrests/speaker pods. I can't believe that something has changed the actual hinges themselves.

Andy
Whatever is keeping your trunk lid from opening should be easy to spot. Once the lid is pop, stand next to the seat while opening the lid to see what is causing the bind.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Hootie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am Ok, took seat off, took armrest off. No wire bundles or cannon plug in way, no joy on lid opening still binding after about 2 inches. Anyone know how to get to hinges with out being able to get in trunk, hinges seems to be the most logical problem now, something has jammed one or both up. Thank you for replys so far. Head scratcher, Hootie
To access the hinge bolts, the trunk must be open ... probably at least 1/2 way.
Hootie

Post by Hootie »

Ok, shot some lube on hinges, sat for a while, had wife put little pressure on lid, and i gently pryed up on each hinge a couple of times on each side and it popped open. Go figure, we will see, thank you for all the advice. Will take picture of hinges and bike, hinges look normal, no loose fastners, no sticking marks. Just did not want to self destroy any parts.

Hootie
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

Hootie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:54 pm Ok, shot some lube on hinges, sat for a while, had wife put little pressure on lid, and i gently pryed up on each hinge a couple of times on each side and it popped open. Go figure, we will see, thank you for all the advice. Will take picture of hinges and bike, hinges look normal, no loose fastners, no sticking marks. Just did not want to self destroy any parts.

Hootie
Glad to hear. Hopefully you can find what happened.

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

So I had to go look for the incompatible setup. Turns out it's the Corbin Master's Type Touring Saddle with Ovalbac Rider's backrest and extended Trunkrest with Passenger Armrests. It's also wicked obvious from the pic that neither Rivco nor Hondaline would work well with this setup.

Sorry for thinking this could be your issue.

Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

Were you ever able to determine what was causing the binding?

Hootie

Post by Hootie »

No I did not, it has worked flawlessly ever since, if I had to guess, on the Hartco back passenger seat pad, it comes with a filler pad for the bottom, it is held on with velcro, which I doubled the velcro strips, which fit on the front of the trunk towards the bottom close to location where trunk hinges up.. When I took it all off, lubed the hinges and did the delicate prying, it finally popped opened. I should of done them separately to get a good fix. And the reason I do not know for sure is I am a stickler for cleaning my mess, and I cleaned all the sticky stuff off after removing it. Plus it never stuck to filler pad at that point only to front of trunk. So I could of screwed up with velcro, it was really strong.
Hootie