Remove and Replace the Trunk Lid

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
mrbreeze
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Remove and Replace the Trunk Lid

Post by mrbreeze »

I have a 2012 GL1800 Comfort/Audio model. It has the heated seats and rear speakers. I have little spider cracks from where some doofus (me) mounted the Honda luggage rack. I tried using plastic adhesive on the underside of the lid to seal the cracks, but they continued to spread. At this point, I think the only option is to replace the lid. NOT CHEAP.

Today I started the process of removing the old lid. What a nightmare! It has a bunch of wires running through it from behind the passenger backrest. They were all joined together and wrapped in multiple layers of electrical tape. I assumed I could just remove the tape and then feed the wires through the lid, then lift the lid off. NOPE. It seems there are some wires that just run through there and don't connect to anything.

I thought well I will remove the seat and unplug the bundled wires from whatever they are plugged into, them feed them through the other way. NOPE. It looks to me like if I am going to find the end of all these wires, I am going to have to remove all the bodywork from the back of the bike. I don't particularly want to spend the winter in the garage...

If anyone has any advice on how to do this, I would appreciate it if you would share it. I am thinking about just snipping the offending wires, and then splicing them back together later.

I will try to add some pictures from my phone. I uploaded them to Smugmug, but Windows 10 Sucks Edition will not allow me to download them to my laptop.

mrbreeze

Re: Remove and Replace the Trunk Lid

Post by mrbreeze »

Pictures

This is from the back of the bike. The blue and white wires just seem to run in one hole in the trunk lid and out the other. The green wire runs through one hole and the brown wire runs in the other. They join at the blue connector, which doesn’t connect to anything.
This is from the back of the bike. The blue and white wires just seem to run in one hole in the trunk lid and out the other. The green wire runs through one hole and the brown wire runs in the other. They join at the blue connector, which doesn’t connect to anything.

Attachments

This is from the left side of the bike. The wires are running in bunches and then split into three separate groups. One of the groups runs under the frame without going through a connector first.
This is from the left side of the bike. The wires are running in bunches and then split into three separate groups. One of the groups runs under the frame without going through a connector first.

mrbreeze

Post by mrbreeze »

This is the picture from the left side
Attachments

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

The harness disconnects on both ends. The connectors under the upper, inner trunk liner, are for Hondaline accessories that your Wing must not have ... vanity mirror, inner trunk light, and rear spoiler.

If I recall, once the speaker boxes are open to disconnect the speakers, the left pocket, the upper-inner trunk liner, and the passenger back rest are removed, the harness feeds from right to left. So for removal, remove from left to right. Once those parts are off, use a Sharpie to mark the holes used to feed the harness through.

Here is how to deal with the anodized harness clamps within the hinge area. They only have so many bends before they break. So don't bend them !!! Slide the harness, with its rubber grommet past a harness clamp, and then pull the harness free.
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

So I am curious what caused the cracks?
Did you overload the rack at some point?
Did you use locktite on the fasteners when installing the rack?
Locktite will attach the ABS plastic and cause it to stress crack.

One thing you can try doing to stop the cracks is to stop drill them, at the end of each crack drill a small hole, thru the lid, if the material has not been weakened by a chemical reaction it should stop the crack in it's tracks. We used this on a lot of aircraft panels back when I was in the Air Force, worked great on aluminum, should work just as well on plastic.
You will need to fill the holes and cracks with a plastic filler , sand, prime and repaint. Could be less expensive that a new lid.
As far as the connectors go, you can de-pin the connectors, pull the wires out of the connector housings so the wire harness will go through the hole, just keep very good notes and pictures to make sure you get all the wires back in the same location in the correct connector.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."