Reverse Dash Light Flashing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Reverse Dash Light Flashing

Post by Eboness »

I’ve been very lucky with my 2013 GL1800 level IV, so far very few issues I could not sort out quickly. However the other day while on a short weekend trip my wing would not start and I had already been riding it for 20 minutes. I did the usual things to check, side stand up, kill switch was in the run position, but then I noticed my reverse switch dash light flashing. Since I was trying to start my wing that was not in neutral with the clutch handle pulled in I decided to put the bike in neutral. It started right away and the reverse light stopped flashing. For the rest of my trip, no starting issues. When I got home decided to do some research into reverse switch dash light flashing. Here is what I found out. Turns out, over time, at the neutral switch assembly the wire connection can become loose because of the nut holding it to the switch can back off. You can find it under a rubber boot just above the oil dip stick on the right side of the GL1800. On my check, found the nut had backed off so much that the loop connector was very loose. Tightened the nut and have had no issues since. I going to make a permanent fix by changing this tiny nut to a nylon inset nut which should prevent future problems. If I were you folks take a couple minutes to check this connection before you have my issue. Remember hand tight only as the threaded stud is very small and it could snap off the neutral switch assembly and you would need to replace the whole switch. I’ll try to make a quick video to show where and how to check it. Ride safe everyone.

Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Reverse Dash Light Flashing

Post by WingAdmin »

Eboness wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:13 am I’ve been very lucky with my 2013 GL1800 level IV, so far very few issues I could not sort out quickly. However the other day while on a short weekend trip my wing would not start and I had already been riding it for 20 minutes. I did the usual things to check, side stand up, kill switch was in the run position, but then I noticed my reverse switch dash light flashing. Since I was trying to start my wing that was not in neutral with the clutch handle pulled in I decided to put the bike in neutral. It started right away and the reverse light stopped flashing. For the rest of my trip, no starting issues. When I got home decided to do some research into reverse switch dash light flashing. Here is what I found out. Turns out, over time, at the neutral switch assembly the wire connection can become loose because of the nut holding it to the switch can back off. You can find it under a rubber boot just above the oil dip stick on the right side of the GL1800. On my check, found the nut had backed off so much that the loop connector was very loose. Tightened the nut and have had no issues since. I going to make a permanent fix by changing this tiny nut to a nylon inset nut which should prevent future problems. If I were you folks take a couple minutes to check this connection before you have my issue. Remember hand tight only as the threaded stud is very small and it could snap off the neutral switch assembly and you would need to replace the whole switch. I’ll try to make a quick video to show where and how to check it. Ride safe everyone.
Thanks for this great advice. I tend to use some Loctite on any fastener that I find works itself loose, that usually solves the issue.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Good find and writeup
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

thanks for that heads up.

my 2002 has not given me any trouble at all, since I bought it used over 5 years ago.

It has been PM'd once and time for that again.

New tires, Air filter 2 years ago, and this year, it has only consumed 4 gallons of gas :roll: :x :o :shock:

time to correct that little problem as soon as it warms up, I am going for a ride.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Good catch, just for clarity, the switch on the block with the rubber cover is the reverse switch, it grounds the wire when not in reverse and removes the ground when reverse is engaged. The gear position switch in the front engine cover handles the neutral functions. :D
Eboness

Post by Eboness »

Hi Techdude2000, Thanks for the clarification on this switch and how it works. The only reason I called it a "Neutral Switch Assembly" was thats what Honda Powersports OEM parts Fiche calls it as shown in this pdf. However I would suspect you have more knowledge than me on the correct discription, thanks again.
Attachments

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Eboness wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:35 pm Hi Techdude2000, Thanks for the clarification on this switch and how it works. The only reason I called it a "Neutral Switch Assembly" was thats what Honda Powersports OEM parts Fiche calls it as shown in this pdf. However I would suspect you have more knowledge than me on the correct discription, thanks again.
Yep, the parts list description is that way because Honda has used this same part number and part as an actual neutral switch on previous bikes. On the wing, it provides the ground for the B starter relay. If the wire gets loose, it makes the system think the reverse mechanics inside the engine are in the reverse position, but the reverse shift switch on the handlebar would be telling the cruise/reverse control module that it’s not in reverse. This triggers the flashing light and the dead starter button function.
Eboness

Post by Eboness »

Thanks again Techdude2000, your newest discription really gives me a much better idea on how the system works.
Happy New Year and ride safe.