Smell of Antifreeze after change

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Dagostini
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Smell of Antifreeze after change

Post by Dagostini »

First off i appreciate the advice from members and on other posts. Great group of riders here.

I did my first long ride this past December 18th from Charleston SC to Sanford Fl. My sister lives there so this will be a normal ride come spring. When riding I noticed a smell of antifreeze when I stopped for gas several times. I did spill some when changing it but that was 2 months prior to the long ride. I washed it off and I don't see any puddles or drips on the floor of the garage. Could an O-ring be leaking when it heats up? I would guess this would be near the engine or exhaust to create the odor. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Smell of Antifreeze after change

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

New coolant will often make leaks worst. The coolant Honda calls for uses chemicals to keep the system clean, and those fresh chemicals will help clean out a leak.

Most likely your leak is coming from a hose clamp needing tightened. There are like 44 of them. The best way to find your leak(s) is to pressure test the system and the cap. Most large auto parts chains will "loan" you a pressure test kit. Because sometimes a leak will leak into a pooling area, and the pool has to fill before spilling over, I always pressure test for 4hrs at a time. It is best to do 1 test at 16-18psi, and a low test at 6-8psi. Do each for 4 hours. If you have a belly-pan, be sure to remove it first.

Your biggest leak(s) will show up first. Just because you tighten a clamp, do not assume it's the only one. Be sure to continue pressure testing until there are no more signs of any leaks.
Dagostini
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: Smell of Antifreeze after change

Post by Dagostini »

Thanks for the advice, my friend has a tester I can borrow. Have to do brakes and will do it then, I'll let you know what I find.