Brake Electrical wiring schematic

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
BKTLST
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Brake Electrical wiring schematic

Post by BKTLST »

Found three crushed wires going to gray connector below right-side (brake side), frame-rail, under seat. Whenever I step on footbrake lever, or grab the handbrake lever, it blows the 15 amp fuse. Help!!

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: Brake Electrical wiring schematic

Post by M61A1MECH »

BKTLST wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:05 pm Found three crushed wires going to gray connector below right-side (brake side), frame-rail, under seat. Whenever I step on footbrake lever, or grab the handbrake lever, it blows the 15 amp fuse. Help!!
That grey connector should be the C-31, the brake circuit is the Green/Red wire. The C-31 is a 14 circuit connector with 13 wires in it. There are of course other circuits going through it, if you can tell us what color wires are compromised we will be able to tell you what other circuits or functions could be compromised.

If the fuse is blowing the insulation must be broken through allowing the conductor to touch a ground point some place. If the conductor is not broken the best way to fix it is to remove the contact from the connector housing and thread a piece of heat shrink down the wire and cover the damaged area. If the conductors are damaged, then you will want to cut the wire and splice it back together. I would recommend splicing with solder and heat shrink. You maty need to add a short section of new wire between the breaks.
If the conductor is not damaged and you are not able to remove the contact from the connector and or do not want to cut and splice the wire to make the repair, the fall back solution is to wrap the damaged wire(s) with electrical tape to provide the insulation needed to keep it from shorting out, I am not a big fan of electrical tape, but it does work. You need to clean the wires so the tape has a chance of sticking and staying put.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

Steve,
Many thanks for your reply. Greatly appreciate the info. Yes, in fact, it is the brake signal wire that is damaged, along with the two adjacent wires, ground and power (running lights) wires. My problem, however, I have already cut and spliced new sections of wire, (same gauge), into the damaged areas and put heat shrink over the solder points. And the fuse STILL BLOWS😳🙄😱. Would you know what type or size pin extraction tool I need? Could the brake relay be a possible culprit?
M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

I just de-pined one contact from that style connector, I used a home made tool I have , it is a stiff piece of welding wire that is about .043" in diameter with a tapered tip ground on the end, like a sharp screwdriver or chisel point. Hopefully the side you need to de-pin is the socket side it is much easier to do than the pin sin side. They are locked in the same way, first you need to open the back of the connector there is a "bar" behind the rows of contact that act as a secondary lock, you pry the ends out to disengage the hooks they pry the back up and slide it back slightly and lift it out of the way. The contacts are locked in with a plastic finger that drops into a cavity in the contact, you need to lift that finger up and pull the contact out. Sometimes it helps to push the wire forward to get some clearance between the finger and the contact's cavity. here are some photos that may help.

As far as what else could cause the short, yes maybe the relay could be bad, one way to trouble shoot it is to swap out a similar relay for the brake light relay. If that does not fix the issue disconnect the C-31 to isolate if the issue is fore or aft of that connector. If it is forward of the C-31, lift the relay box and find the C-26 connector that is a yellow 20 pin connector, if that is disconnected and the brake lever/pedal are applied and the fuse still blows the short is between there and the relay, if not then you have a bad spot between there and the C-31.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

You are AWESOME Sir👍🏻 Again, many, many thanks for the pics, the info, the suggestions, your time spent troubleshooting possibilities for me, etc....
I will follow-up with you after I try your ideas tomorrow.
M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

You are welcome, always happy to help if I can, do keep us posted on your progress.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

Absolutely. BTW......not to be a bigger pest, but you wouldn’t, happen to have a pic of that C26 connector and where it’s located?
M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH »

Here is a scan of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual that shows the location, I do not have a photo of the connector it self.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL

BKTLST

Post by BKTLST »

OK.....That’s plenty for me to investigate tomorrow!! Again, greatly appreciate all your patience and invaluable assistance Sir👍🏻 Take the rest of the weekend off😜👌🏻