Radio station changer

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
singleton
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A

Radio station changer

Post by singleton »

My 2001 Goldwing radio will no longer allow me to change the station. The switch on the handle bar quit working in one direction a while back. It would only change stations in one direction. I don't know if the knob on the tank top worked or not, never use it. Now the handle bar switch will not work at all, either direction, nor will the knob on the tank top. The stations it does pick up are the ones you get after unhooking the battery. You know, a couple of just static, one spanish speaking station, etc. I disconnected and reconnected the battery just for grins, no improvement. Any ideas? Thanks

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Re: Radio station changer

Post by bstig60 »

I suggest tsking the switch apart and cleaning it and check the wire connections and see if that makes a difference. Do your CD and AUX work?
Bill
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: Radio station changer

Post by Snowmoer »

That switch does not come apart like the on/off switches. Get some CRC Electronic cleaner. It is in a red can. You can get it at Wal Mart and auto parts stores. DO NOT USE WD 40! It is not made to clean electrical contacts like this. It will just attract more dirt.

Spray some into the switch with the attached straw. Work the switch a bunch. Spray some more in and work the switch some more. That should clean the contacts and get it working again. You can do the same thing for the speed up and down switch for the cruse control and your volume up and down switch. Your dash one may not be working because of lack of use. Road grime has found it's way into the contacts. All three momentary switches like these were doing the same thing on my 88 wing. This fixed them right up and got them working again.