Fixing tire flats

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
farmer148
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800

Fixing tire flats

Post by farmer148 »

What’s everybody doing when they need to fix tires when they have problems on the road. I got a nail in the rear tire and was leaking slowly. Aired it back up at a gas station and stopped by a motorcycle repair place and asked about getting the tire repaired. Told they couldn’t fix it because it wasn’t a Harley and they only worked on Harleys. I ended up Fixing the tire with a tire plug kit and a small 12 volt air compressor. Didn’t want to use fix a flat because of the pressure sensors.

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: Fixing tire flats

Post by gford »

I carry a tire plug kit and 12 volt compressor. Never used it for my bike but I did help out a guy who was stranded with a flat. Fixed him up in about 30 minutes.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Glad you were able to solve the urgent problem. Having some form of plug kit and refill device is a good thing. We had a thread on that recently: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63240&p=367058#p367058

Whether to replace that tire or continue with the plug is a matter of personal risk. I have plugged a handful of automobile tires. The mushroom plugs have lasted well for me but most of us have a favorite plug story. I recently had a screw in my Goldwing tire but had another already mounted on a spare wheel so just swapped wheels. If I was away from home, I would have plugged it and kept going.

IMHO, you should read up and develop a plan to remove your rear wheel. The "we only work on Harleys" issue tends to go away when you have the wheel in your hand. Especially on the GL1800; the wheel is very easy to get off and looks like a car wheel once removed (single side swingarm). You can even carry in to a tire store for automobiles and they can mount another motorcycle tire for you (if you bring that tire with you) or put a car tire on. I am not trying to spin this in to a darkside discussion - there is a thread for that. Just saying that if you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can get a car tire on to get home.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I agree,

take the wheel off, then it just becomes a matter of the mechanic rolling it off the rim.

I have never been rejected from getting tires repaired, or replaced, and I have only used the two closest to me, regular tire shops.

If it is a nail, or screw, I pull out the Rope Tire repair kit....
when I get home and time is not an issue, the wheel comes off and gets an internal mushroom plug repair.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
farmer148
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800

Post by farmer148 »

Thanks for the replies. I thought there would be some info here on this topic somewhere. I looked at what was written and see some good information there. For now I am riding with the plug in it. Decide when I get back home in about 5 weeks if I do anything different with it. The one thing I have in my favor is the tpms. Which is how I first knew I had a problem. I have had good and bad luck with plugs but so far this one doesn’t show any signs of giving me any problems.
ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing trike with RoadSmith hts1800 kit
2007 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Sold = 1998 Goldwing Se

Post by ka4yqi »

I carry a Stop and Go kit with me on the bike I riding that day. Also a little 12 volt air compressor. Had to use it twice, once on my Nomad and once a Canuck's harley. I ask him would he take help from a Honda Goldwing guy. Even got a beer out of that deed. I used the same type kit when I worked for a company Goodyear Store. Never had one to leak or get slung out. I will never leave home with out it every in the car or truck.