Fixing tire flats

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
farmer148
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800

Fixing tire flats

Post by farmer148 »

What’s everybody doing when they need to fix tires when they have problems on the road. I got a nail in the rear tire and was leaking slowly. Aired it back up at a gas station and stopped by a motorcycle repair place and asked about getting the tire repaired. Told they couldn’t fix it because it wasn’t a Harley and they only worked on Harleys. I ended up Fixing the tire with a tire plug kit and a small 12 volt air compressor. Didn’t want to use fix a flat because of the pressure sensors.

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: Fixing tire flats

Post by gford »

I carry a tire plug kit and 12 volt compressor. Never used it for my bike but I did help out a guy who was stranded with a flat. Fixed him up in about 30 minutes.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Glad you were able to solve the urgent problem. Having some form of plug kit and refill device is a good thing. We had a thread on that recently: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63240&p=367058#p367058

Whether to replace that tire or continue with the plug is a matter of personal risk. I have plugged a handful of automobile tires. The mushroom plugs have lasted well for me but most of us have a favorite plug story. I recently had a screw in my Goldwing tire but had another already mounted on a spare wheel so just swapped wheels. If I was away from home, I would have plugged it and kept going.

IMHO, you should read up and develop a plan to remove your rear wheel. The "we only work on Harleys" issue tends to go away when you have the wheel in your hand. Especially on the GL1800; the wheel is very easy to get off and looks like a car wheel once removed (single side swingarm). You can even carry in to a tire store for automobiles and they can mount another motorcycle tire for you (if you bring that tire with you) or put a car tire on. I am not trying to spin this in to a darkside discussion - there is a thread for that. Just saying that if you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can get a car tire on to get home.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I agree,

take the wheel off, then it just becomes a matter of the mechanic rolling it off the rim.

I have never been rejected from getting tires repaired, or replaced, and I have only used the two closest to me, regular tire shops.

If it is a nail, or screw, I pull out the Rope Tire repair kit....
when I get home and time is not an issue, the wheel comes off and gets an internal mushroom plug repair.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
farmer148

Post by farmer148 »

Thanks for the replies. I thought there would be some info here on this topic somewhere. I looked at what was written and see some good information there. For now I am riding with the plug in it. Decide when I get back home in about 5 weeks if I do anything different with it. The one thing I have in my favor is the tpms. Which is how I first knew I had a problem. I have had good and bad luck with plugs but so far this one doesn’t show any signs of giving me any problems.
ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing trike with RoadSmith hts1800 kit
2007 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Sold = 1998 Goldwing Se

Post by ka4yqi »

I carry a Stop and Go kit with me on the bike I riding that day. Also a little 12 volt air compressor. Had to use it twice, once on my Nomad and once a Canuck's harley. I ask him would he take help from a Honda Goldwing guy. Even got a beer out of that deed. I used the same type kit when I worked for a company Goodyear Store. Never had one to leak or get slung out. I will never leave home with out it every in the car or truck.
farmer148

Post by farmer148 »

The plug I put in the rear tire finally started seeping a little air after I had another 5000 miles on it. Now that I was home with it I had use it a tire changing machine and I have a patch in the tire now. That should last till the tire is wore out. When your away from home you are limited of what you can do yourself.
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I recently took out my kit and plugged a neighbors tire. It worked like a charm. The last time I had a tire with a screw in it, I was 5 miles from home and had a brand new Elite 4 mounted on a spare rear rim. So, I didn't bother to fix the Elite 3 with the screw. Back in 2001 I worked for the Dealership and we had the contract for the San Antonio Police Dept (SAPD) Goldwings. We had just put new tires on one of their bikes and the patrolman came back the next day with a small nail in his rear tire. They don't patch their tires the replace them. So we replaced his tire and I took the tire for my Goldwing's needed replacement, plugged it and rode it until it wore out.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

The Project Farm guy just did a video on tire plug repair kits. He put 100 plugs in a single tire, LOL.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2