Radio CB no oem help

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
pisda
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 2017

Radio CB no oem help

Post by pisda »

Hello everyone. I am the owner of a 2017 goldwing 1800 europe version and I would like to ask you how to connect a cb no oem to the audio system (intercom) of the bike. Is any interface needed to do this? I would not like to use the original honda cb. Thanks for the answers. Good road.

k2mpw
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 ABS

Re: Radio CB no oem help

Post by k2mpw »

If I'm reading this correctly, you want to use a non-honda CB with the GL audio system.

I would suggest you visit the website of Kennedy Electronics. http://cellset.com/frset.html

Replace the FRS radio in the cellset diagram with a hand held type CB radio.

Search Ebay for Radio Shack "TRC231" or "TRC232". They are out of production radios that are still around and work well.

You can handlebar mount either of them using a RAM-B-309-1U clutch ball mount, with the RAM-HOL-BC1 and a RAP-B-201U-A double socket mount.

I use the same mount for a ham radio. https://qsl.net/k2mpw/honda/gl1800/ram.htm
pisda

Post by pisda »

Thank you for the answer. I see that you are also a radio amateur. I am too, my qrz is iv3ram. I have already installed a small cb radio. I have adapted the ptt under the handlebar grip on the left and a double diverter for the channel change and the controls of the small radio. The audio output is connected directly to the headphones inside the helmet as well as the microphone. As you can see from the photo. But my intention was to connect everything by integrating into the audio system (intercom) of the gl. I thought it was simpler, but I don't have the wiring diagrams of the sound system so I don't know how it works. I will follow your advice and hope to resolve.
I would like that when I listen to the music in the intercom if someone opens the squelch the priority goes to the cb, the same thing if I speak to the cb the audio goes directly to the cb output. Sorry my english but i use google translate. Thanks so much.
P.S .: I'd also like to install a vhf uhf.
Attachments

k2mpw
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 ABS

Post by k2mpw »

Yes, I am a ham too!

You have a very busy dashboard!

Connecting your CB to the GL1800 system requires a few things. You need to have a "balanced" microphone connection. The speaker output of the CB needs to be attenuated to a level the GL system can work with. The Cellset interface will do both for you. They also make a device that uses the OEM PTT switch for other radios like a FRS or your CB. You will need to understand how YOUR CB is switched to transmit mode to wire the Cellset device.

Now the bad news. I am pretty sure that that GL audio system uses a squelch logic signal from the OEM CB to sense when a CB signal is present. That signal is what mutes the music. You would need more information than I can provide.

If you wish to continue, please email me directly as not to fill the boards with our conversation. My direct email is my call sign at yahoo dot com.

k2MPW
pisda

Post by pisda »

Thank you for your availability and useful information. I will try to think about it but I think I will buy if the cellset interface is available for Italy. You are right, my dashboard is a bit full but it is only provisional and I fix it :)
Thanks again. '73.