A better option to trailering.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Skyryder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

A better option to trailering.

Post by Skyryder »

A few days ago I posted a question about using a U-Haul trailer for my NTM ( New 2 me) '03 1800. After a number of very helpful replies, I woke up this morning with something a little bit scary going on......a thought! It seems to me the whole reason I bought this model bike is to RIDE it, not put it on a trailer, haul it around, take it off the trailer, go for a few short rides around town, then back on the trailer, and repeat at the next planned stop. A LOT of trouble it seems, so I ditched that idea and came up with a better one, this one won't allow me to take my golf clubs, but I suspect I won't miss them anyway. I have decided the best way to get more comfortable on the bike and enjoy the reason I have it is to just ride it instead of putting the silly thing on a trailer. Now, I do this with full knowledge that the weather will be terrible the entire week I am planning the trip, and also it's not like riding in the SUV for sure. I have limited experience with long distance trips on a motorcycle, and one of the things you cannot buy or borrow is experience. So, I wanted to ask what apps you use to plan a longer trip over unfamiliar highways. I could do it with my eyes closed on Interstates, but that is not the point here. I will use them when it is prudent, but prefer less busy routes if possible. FWIW, my intended route is N.E Florida to S.W Virginia, and then to Fredericksburg, VA area and back to Florida. I'd like to do it the second week of April or so, and will stop and visit with family in those places for a couple of days each. I expect the better part of 4 days purely devoted to travel ,with one night in a hotel each way. The bike is in the shop today, getting new LED turn signals and head lights, a 12V receptacle, and the mount for my Garmin, I expect to have new LED modulated tail lights before I take to the road. I will try to take some photos along the way, and do plan to go one way on the Skyline Parkway. I did it this past year in a RV, I suspect the trip to be a LOT more fun this time.....LOL. Thanks for taking a moment to read this missive, and my appreciation for any input you choose to leave.
Stay safe,
Sky

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Re: A better option to trailering.

Post by MikeB »

Congratulations on your decision to ride.

I use the Garmin Map Source program. It is old but I keep the maps up to date. You could also use Base Camp. I've never gotten proficient at it so I prefer Map source.

I will typically plan the trip a week or two or more in advance. Normally using 400 to 500 miles as the target distane to travel. Makes for a liesure day of riding. I will make reservations at motels at least one day in advance. I take a notebook computer to make trip planning because I can transfer the routes to the GPS. I suppose I could use a smart phone to do that but transfering is not something I have learned to do.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I do the same. I MUCH prefer riding my bike than driving somewhere anyway.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

Up until 2008, I rode my bike to rallys, or to visit family and friends, even if it was 3,000 miles to get there.

then a Penske truck merged me into a center median wall...
that resulted in my body's thermostat getting busted all to hell.

my body can no longer shift the blood supply around to keep me cool when the Wx gets hot.

so, I load the 1800 on a trailer and travel in comfort with my Suburban's A/C dialed in to keep me healthy.

If I didn't the minute the ambient temps hit 83*F, I am done for, I must find Air Conditioning, or I will have a Heat Stroke.

To each their own. If you must trailer your bike, then do so.
If you can ride it in comfort, then ride it.

If your trip to the destination is more than 10 hours, and the humidity is 90% or higher, I drive, and maybe you should too. I have a lot of friends who now have Toy Hauler rigs, or enclosed trailers... comfort can not be ignored. Especially as we get older. I'm 78 as of 2 weeks ago.

I am going to the Rhino party in Guymon, OK come May... it is a 6 hour trip, and the Wx can change on a whim in a heartbeat.... it might be 68*F when I leave, but it could be 95*F or higher before I got there.

Once I am there, and see what the day's ride is going to encompass, I have to consult the Wx bureau to make sure that I can make the tour w/o getting sick....

I have a Phase Change vest which helps a lot, I use an Ice Chest on a hitch rack to hold the ice water to cool off that vest.... that will let me ride up to around 96*F, after that, I am done for the day.

~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Bravo.... You have stumbled upon the reason for motorcycles - to ride them. Transport by trailer of a motorcycle is only for moving your home from one place to another when you have too much stuff to haul on a motorcycle (or, as is the case with AZgl1800, because of health reasons). I truly applaud your intestinal fortitude in beginning an endeavor that is totally out of your comfort zone. Enjoy the heck out of it, and realize that it will be only the beginning of a beautiful relationship with yourself. It is what I think of every time I throw my leg over one of my motorcycles and has always been that way. For me, motorcycling is not a 'sport'. It is a way of life, and at my age, it is too late to change that. I have been to every State in your Union, as well as all of our provinces and territories with the exception of our new one, Nunuvit, which has no roads to it that are suitable for two wheels, and I have been to all of these places on a motorcycle. I would love to do it all over again, but fear that I will have to pass the torch to younger folks before I can accomplish this. Oh how I can occasionally wax nostalgic. Nuff outta me.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I switch between Google Maps and Kurviger and Windy right now.

Google Maps because it's super fast and accurate and takes time-of-day traffic into account, so I get a very accurate ETA, and the route is drag-and-drop easy to modify.

Kurviger.de when I want to automatically plan curvier routes and take secondary roads. It is slower to recalculate but makes finding alternate routes easy.

Windy when I want to see what the temperatures and weather will be like at any point in my day(s)-long trip.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
gavinmvp
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by gavinmvp »

Concerning your golf club situation.......I have a small cargo carrier that attaches to my 2003 wing's trailer hitch and has attachment for golf clubs.
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

If I ever take up golf I would do something like this.

viewtopic.php?t=37686
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

What about this?

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

I was recently made aware of an on-line GPX generating tool. It seems to save map data in browser cache, but there is also a method for import and export available.

https://www.mappite.org/

It generates routes, waypoints and trips...all variants of the GPX file.

As far as the mechanics of route planning, with the 'where I'm going' part out of the way, it's simply a matter of looking over maps (paper and electronic) to find those twisty roads & ride them.

Short Story - Three years ago, planned a trip from Knoxville, TN to Charleston, WV. Found a couple of different, twisty routes thru the mountains & decided it would be day-of-travel decision. One of them was a bit less rustic, in the event there might be rain to deal with.

Day of travel, it turned out beautiful, so selection "A" was chosen. It took the better part of a day, but it went thru some gorgeous country that my wife had never really seen up close.

We get to Charleston & visit with family before moving on to our next destination. One of my uncles had been watching the route I'd taken, as I'd shared the tracking link from Spotwalla (https://new.spotwalla.com). Soon after arriving, he said "What you do, pick the twistiest road in the state?" :lol:

My reply, "Yeah, unc. How'd I do?" :D

I'd forgotten that in his younger days, he was one of those hell-raising Harley types and had been through all of those roads in that region.

Enjoy both the planning and the ride!
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

A few years a go I did a trip around lake Superior.
I used Furkot for the basic planning to figure out a basis for the trip duration (7 days), but I did find it difficult and awkward to use. I didn't want to stick to a specific plan anyways.

I used my cellphone as GPS, that was really frustrating. A lot of the time I was out of cell tower range. The phone navigation would continue to work unless I tried to make any change to the route - then it would bail out and I would have nothing, leaving me to paper map navigation (stop, check the map, go a few dozen miles, forget the next landmark, stop, check the map....)

I would do different:
1. Use a real GPS, that does not depend on any external service, instead of cellphone.
2. Use a paper scroll type thing (like rally drivers use) as backup to the GPS. Each night, make a plan for the next day, basically noting landmarks and turns and roads I would need to hit to get to where I am headed. Ultra-low tech, very reliable.
Great_adVENTURE
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
2016 Harley Davidson SPORTSTER 72

Post by Great_adVENTURE »

I use google maps, kurvinger, and rever (butler maps included). Do yourself a favor and skip the boring highways and interstates. Back roads add hours to any trip but well worth it in my opinion.
If you never did you should. These things are fun. And fun is good. ~Dr.Seuss
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

the_big_h wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:06 pm I would do different:
1. Use a real GPS, that does not depend on any external service, instead of cellphone.
If you put Sygic on your phone it will download all the maps you need, and will work offline, and you won't need to purchase a standalone GPS unit which is A) expensive, B) requires another mount and power cord, and C) is a PITA to update map-wise and route-wise.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

Sygic is new to me, looks nice.
I also found that my cellphone touchscreen did not work with gloves on.
tamathumper

Post by tamathumper »

For that, you can try gloves that are touch-screen compatible, or carefully spray a bit of graphite lubricant on the finger tips. It will be black, so you might not want to do that on white gloves.
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

a paper map of the states you'll be traveling through would be a big help in keeping you off the interstate

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
'99ST1100, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william