Goldwing Idle Issues (on a fuel injected bike?)

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
cougla

Goldwing Idle Issues (on a fuel injected bike?)

Post by cougla »

Hello, I recently purchased a 2006 goldwing that has been sitting for a couple of years according to the PO.
It will not stay running on it's own from a cold start (low idle condition) however after it is warmed up there is no issue and the idle gets to about 600 or so. PO says his "Mechanic" told him to just run some stablizer through it with a fresh tank of gas and take it for a long ride. He thinks this would cure it?....lol So I am a long time Wing rider and I was looking to trade up to a low mileage 1800 to take me to the end of my riding days, and this one only had 18,000 miles on it. The bike is otherwise in excellent condition and just needed a good clean and wax.

Now for the fun part: I am a stickler for clean and maintenance so the process begins. First up, I don't believe his Mechanic and my instinct tells me to take a good look at the air filter...OMG!!!!!!!! likely never been changed out and also a home for the fleas and a hive for the buzzing bees....lol...actually a mouse hotel. Check the following pics. Now I gotta tell ya I have no idea how that bike ran at all let alone pretty decently on my trip home which was about 60 miles or so. So new filter, new oil and filter, new plugs and a thorough check up. That should do it right? Not quite, the bike looks and acts like new all except for the low idle condition on cold start and now the FI light comes on showing 3 long and 8 short flashes. This is where I need guidance people, I cannot decode the flashes with the chart that I have but I really need to ask if anyone has seen this condition under these circumstances previously and/or offer a solution to my problem. The bike runs and behaves flawlessly once moving. I wanted to do a ECM reset but without the bike idling on it's own I cannot meet the procedural requirements. I did drain and replace the fuel with high octane and seafoam and rode it today for about 100 miles and it was perfect. (Again only a cold start/low idle condition.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Goldwing Idle Issues (on a fuel injected bike?)

Post by Rambozo »

*38 - Engine Operates Normally
Right A/F sensor heater circuit malfunction
• Loose or poor contact of the A/F sensor connector
• A/F sensor heater or its circuit malfunction
• Engine operates normally

Mouse took out the heater and installed a mini-split?
cougla

Post by cougla »

Any idea on how to fix this and or cost?
where do I look for the A/F sensor?
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

With the shelter off, and since a mouse has live in there, carefully inspect the harnesses for any chew marks. There are 2 A/F sensors ... a left and a right. Each circuit consists of 3 parts. The sensor, the ECM, and related wiring. After confirming that there are no rodent chew marks, on a creeper and with a mirror, look under the exhaust system near the center stand, and on each side you will find a sensor screwed into the header pipe assembly. Follow the harness to find its connector up to about your knee area when sitting on the Wing. Start by reseating the connector, and seeing if your FI light flashes after reseating the connector.
cougla

Post by cougla »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:30 am With the shelter off, and since a mouse has live in there, carefully inspect the harnesses for any chew marks. There are 2 A/F sensors ... a left and a right. Each circuit consists of 3 parts. The sensor, the ECM, and related wiring. After confirming that there are no rodent chew marks, on a creeper and with a mirror, look under the exhaust system near the center stand, and on each side you will find a sensor screwed into the header pipe assembly. Follow the harness to find its connector up to about your knee area when sitting on the Wing. Start by reseating the connector, and seeing if your FI light flashes after reseating the connector.

Thanks Greg, I will dive back into the beast today since the weather has turned for the worst anyway...lol
Funny thing though, the bike runs perfect above idle and also after assisted throttle warm up. Any ideas why?
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

cougla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 am Thanks Greg, I will dive back into the beast today since the weather has turned for the worst anyway...lol
Funny thing though, the bike runs perfect above idle and also after assisted throttle warm up. Any ideas why?
Code 38 says at some point there is something wrong with the right A/F circuit. In addition to that, it is likely that your poor running issue might have to do with damage done from bad gas. How do the spark plugs look ??? Any chew marks in any visible part of the harness under the shelter or upper center cowl ???
cougla

Post by cougla »

Greg, I changed the plugs out, put fresh gas in it with seafoam and checked all the wiring I could get at and everything is good, bike runs beautiful once off idle. My issue is only a very low idle rpm that causes the bike to stall out unless I hold an rpm until warmed.I took your advise and removed the sensor inspected it (looks fine) and followed the wiring through the circuits and un coupled then recoupled. There are no signs of damage and I still have the low idle issue.

I have read on another forum that Guhl Motorsports will reflash my ECU and eliminate my idle issue as well as
bypassing other emission sensitive sensors and will provide better response and power and fuel mileage? This may be the way to go rather than spend hundreds on sensors and possibly a new ECU from Honda.

Thoughts?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

You definitely have to add those filter pictures to our Goldwing Air Filter Hall of Shame topic!
cougla

Post by cougla »

Yes, I think you are correct. When I get the beast back up and running and with a little more time on my hands I will post them there.
cougla

Post by cougla »

Well I finally got down to the IAC Valve (quite a job) and it does look dirty so I am going to remove it and try cleaning it up before I throw away $350 bucks Canadian (I can buy from Cycle max for $90 USD) and with the exchange and express delivery it is still far cheaper than buying at home. Honda Canada likes to rape Canadians. Anyway everything points to this as being the culprit in causing my low idle issue on start up. Time will tell. I will post the results for future reference, to help someone else with this dilemma.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Still waiting to hear about the spark plugs. How do the new and the old ones look ???
cougla

Post by cougla »

Greg, the plugs I took out were showing signs of richness but not overly blackened. So I gapped a new set and installed them but it did not make any difference in bike's performance/low idle on start up.
cougla

Post by cougla »

Okay, now I have the IAC valve out and apart on my bench. What I found was the shaft/pin with flapper (for lack of a better term) that pivots to allow more or less air around the airbox and into the throttle bodies was
seized closed!! Don't know why since it pivots on upper and lower tiny bearings. I carefully freed it up soaked in fuel for a while and then applied thin oil to it and it's parts. I am thinking maybe mouse urine from above did the trick? Anyway I guess the magnet couldn't overcome the seizure (It is after all a solenoid valve) to turn it on or off, and in this case it was seized in the off position. This all due to invasion by varmints and prolonged storage.

This would account for the low idle/stall condition when cold since this in reality acts like a choke in a conventional carb vehicle although there are other sensors at work here as well. I guess when I get it back together, or at least test it with an external fuel hook up I should know the story. I am reluctant to use this valve again because it is such a pain to get at and I don't know if the bearings in the shaft will endure, so I will test and leave the bike apart and install a new valve when it arrives. I will keep you guys posted on my progress .
cougla

Post by cougla »

Okay, I have an update. I have temporarily installed the fuel tank and started the bike and presto! she jumped up to about 1700 rpm (very cold in my garage) and then gradually came down to settle in about 750-800 (by the gauge.) So i guess I have cured her of the low idle and stumble on cold starts. I still do not trust the old IAC valve so I will install a new one before I put her back together. At least cleaning the old valve showed me the fix....lol

What really puzzles me is that I owned my 2001 Goldwing from new and stored it every year and after 200,000 kms it never had a idle issue or any fuel issue for that matter. Just goes to show you the power of "mouse piss"
and the damage it can do to your bike. Thanks to those that gave me suggestions and guidance. Now if they would open the Borders I would be a happy Camper.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Did you do mouse screens on the intakes?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
cougla

Post by cougla »

Andy Cote wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 pm Did you do mouse screens on the intakes?

Yes Andy I sure did...lol