I have to put my '03 up for the summer....

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Skyryder
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

I have to put my '03 up for the summer....

Post by Skyryder »

I just returned from a 6 day total, 1400 mile ride thru Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia. I will have some photos and a few "newbie" stories soon. This was my very first what I consider " long ride". I learned a lot, was VERY glad I took the training course the week before, and enjoyed some back roads and the Blue Ridge Parkway. That's a story for later.
It seems work calls and I need to "winterize" my bike for a few months. I wanted to see if there are any things other than a battery tender, some Sea Foam in the gas tank, putting it on the center stand, washing it well, travel cover even though it will be in the garage, that I am forgetting. ( or more likely just don't know). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. It's not all bad, I will miss the hottest part of the summer, so I got that going for me.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: I have to put my '03 up for the summer....

Post by tamathumper »

If it's only two months I wouldn't worry about anything but the Battery Tender.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Skyryder

Post by Skyryder »

Thanks, about how long before the gas starts to cause issues?
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The alcohol in current fuels is not really ideal to store from day one. However, not counting that, fuel stored in a sealed tank is pretty stable for 3 to 6 months, with additives longer. Sta-Bil claims two years with their product.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I suggest Sta-Bil instead of Sea Foam.
Same manufacturer, but it is specifically made to solve Ethanol problems;
originally in Marine engines that have forgetful owners, who leave them a year at a time w/o maintenance.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Skyryder

Post by Skyryder »

Thank you for the input, it is appreciated! Good information to have. I have used Stay Bil in my boats in the before time. Never thought of using it for this
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

You might consider using up the gas currently in the tank and putting a tank of ethanol-free gas in it. That would alleviate worries about ethanol sitting in there while you're gone.
Battery tender is a must IMO.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

Just remember to check the expiration date on your bottle of Stabil. :shock:

I was surprised to find that Stabil has a shelf life, I mean come on, that stuff is *pure* stabilizer! It should get better and better just sitting on the shelf! Am I right?

All kidding aside, you'll be fine sitting for two months, stabilizer or not. My bike regularly sits over the winter for 4-5 months with nary an issue.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Fill the tank up with premium gas, go for a good ride, fill up again with premium gas - do the same. No ethanol in premium gas. Next time when you pick a date to put the bike away for a while, use premium gas for a couple of tanks and you'll not have to worry about ethanol. Fuel stabilizer will help.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Skyryder

Post by Skyryder »

I really appreciate all the input. I think it will be fine for the "short term". Battery is being kept comfortable and It is nice having the center stand for sure. Now I can spend some time working out the "next step". I am trying to decide if I want to go to floorboards and a heel/toe shifter. I suspect will need a new windshield, as my brother decided to "help" me and clean the windshield. Not sure what he used but the coatings on the windscreen have dissolved in places and this one is pretty much toast, at least that is the excuse I am going to use.....
Again, I appreciate all the help!