Scissors or Bottle Jack, lifting rear of an 1800?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
LK1LK1
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Scissors or Bottle Jack, lifting rear of an 1800?

Post by LK1LK1 »

I've reviewed numerous postings about manufacturers and types of heavy-lifting Jacks. Some of the postings had photos that showed the owner's success when (safely) lifting an 1800. I'm probably going to need an (affordable) scissors or hydraulic Jack, now, because my Wing is sitting in my garage with the dreaded "flat" rear tire. I recently mentioned this "flat" in a posting a few days back, after discovering my OEM valve stem on the rear tire leaked. I appreciate the several replies that I received after my posting about the Valve Stem situation.

The Jack reviews also mentioned the where-to-purchase source as Harbor Freight and some other places listed through Amazon. I'm an experienced Wing rider, (presently with an '05), but I've never had to lift one. I've changed my oil and other stuff in the past by just crawling under the Wing. A few years back. Fast forward: I'm certifiably senior, now, at age 71 and I still prefer to work on my own bike if at all possible and regardless of the challenge. However, an attempt at lifting a Wing to take care of a flat rear tire worries me.

Today I tried to inflate the rear tire on my Wing by using an air tank. A "no go" on that adventure. My air tank only holds up to 70psi and it just isn't up to the task. I'd like to think that I won't need to buy an air compressor that would have more power, although it would get the (inflation) job done.

Ideally, I'd like to get that rear tire off the ground with either a scissors or hydraulic jack to inspect the stem, tire bead and entire tire. I'm no weight lifter, and I've always had a hard time in getting a Wing on the center stand. (I know, I must be doing something wrong).

I'm aware that placement of any Jack, scissors or otherwise, should be behind the engine and probably just in front of the (up position) center stand. My Wing with the flat is presently on the side stand, and lifting it to the center stand is impossible with that flat rear tire.

Is there a "preferred" model of Harbor Freight Jack out there? I've heard Harbor Freight has modified and perfected some of their heavy-duty Jacks as of late. (Or, at least the guy in China or Pakistan who assembles their Jacks has chosen to make some changes for Harbor Freight).

And, is it possible or even safe to use a "Bottle Jack" jack on the rear of an 1800 without creating a safety issue? I assume not, because of the center of gravity issue with such a large and heavy-weight bike. Regardless, my Wing is in my garage and waiting for me to actually do something instead of write. Any info about affordable Jacks, (and I'll assume a scissors-jack type is best), is appreciated. It doesn't matter to me if the Jack originates in China or Borneo. I just want to get that bike up in a safe manner and then repair that failed Valve Stem. And yes, thanks Mother Honda for the original rubber-foundation Valve Stem, (Part # 42753-KJ9-003). A 90-degree metal stem may be better !

As always, help is greatly appreciated !

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Scissors or Bottle Jack, lifting rear of an 1800?

Post by Rambozo »

I would not use a bottle jack, especially if you are alone. There are platform type bike jacks made for this purpose. You can find reviews of the different types on this site. Even Harbor Freight has a low cost version that actually works. I haven't used any so I can't say anything about them. I have a friend that lifts his bikes with ratchet straps from the rafters to change tires. I typically use a forklift. :twisted:
If you just are doing the rear tire on an 1800. Many people just put down a pad or carpet, then lay them over on the right side crash guards. You can find descriptions and pictures of how to do that here and on Goldwingfacts. It isn't that difficult and it's surprising how easy it is to pick up a Goldwing on it's side, once you know the proper technique. Honda did some amazing engineering on these beasts.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Last edited by Rambozo on Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

A bottle hack by itself is not going to work. You can not balance that entire bike on a bottle jack or an automotive floor jack for that matter. You need a motorcycle jack which will give you a bit of a platform to under the bike for lifting.

As to putting the bike on the center stand with a flat tire, get help. Go next door to the neighbors house and ask for help or get a relative to help you out. It can be done alone but I don't recommend it for someone our age. The last time I had to do that was about 15 years ago and it was on the side of the road after experiencing a flat rear tire. It was not easy.

Jacks, yes, Harbor Freight has some, there are many manufacturers but they all have one thing in common, a large area for the motorcycle to rest on when you jack it up.

If all else fails, try rolling the rear tire up on to a few pieces of 1x6 or plywood. Then try to put it on the center stand. Anything to get the rear up in the air a little.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
LK1LK1
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Post by LK1LK1 »

Thanks everyone for the prompt reply !
M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH »

I am in agreement with MikeB, use a proper motorcycle jack, you may find that with that flat tire there may not be enough space to get the jack under the bike, you may need to put a piece of 1x or 2x lumber under the rear wheel just to have enough space for the jack.
Also on one the other forums there is a fellow that makes an adapter that clamps onto the OEM centerstand lever and has an extension that slides in, make lifting the bike onto the centerstand much easier. I lack the proper technique to use the OEM centerstand and have a bad knee so this "helping hand" is a really nice addition for me.
If you are interested, PM me I will get you some contact info.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

One other thing you can do with the help of almost anyone, if you have a bunch of lumber pieces is to build a stand while rocking the bike back and forth. IE (put as much lumber as will fit under a rearward frame member on the right side of the bike, then rock the bike up onto the that pile, while someone places an equal or slightly higher pile on the left corresponding side. Continue, adding one piece at a time to each side till you get the bike up where you need it.) This has worked for me when I had a rear blown tire and only my wife to help. It is not a permanent solution, only a temporary one to get a person out of a fix.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

This is an 1800, right?

Another option for removing the rear wheel is to get a little help and gently lay the bike on its right side. Use an old blanket or something to lay the bike on. Won't hurt anything. Putting the center stand down after the bike is on its side adds some lift to get the rear wheel clear of the floor.

Then the rear wheel can be unbolted and removed.

There are many people that change 1800 wheels this way.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 73,000+ miles
1995 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1982 CB750-F Super Sport 60,000+ miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Post by wingpilot08 »

Question for you...do you have a receiver /trailer hitch on the bike? If not AND you can get the Wing on the centerstand (get a neighbor to help), you can remove the rear tire by removing the back panel. I agree with others saying that the layover of the Wing is the easiest way to remove the rear tire. There are more than 1 way to skin a cat.....but I would not use a bottle jack!

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 73,000+ miles
1995 Bunkhouse Camper
Darkside #1720
1975 CB550-4 mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1982 CB750-FSS 60,000+ miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Ride the rear wheel up onto a 2x6 about 9" long. That will help with the center stand. Also adjust the rear shock to it's highest setting, that will also help lift the bike. I have a motorcycle jack and with the rear tire flat and the fact that I've lowered my bike by 1 3/4", I can not get the jack under the engine. But, also have two floor jacks. I use the rear guards and put the floor jacks under them on both sides. I then raise them each a little bit of a time rotating back and forth until I can get the center stand down. Oh, I also have floor jack stands that I place under the front engine guards just in case I get too aggressive with one side or the other during the lift. Once the bike is on the center stand the tire will roll out the back if you take off the center fender/license plate holder, etc.

Whenever, I ride up onto a 2X6, which I do every time I have a need to put the bike on the center stand, I also use a 2X4 for the side stand otherwise the bike leans to far over. I have a 4 inch square 2x4 with a string attached so that after I am up on the 2x6, I can drop the 2x4 down holding the string and place it with my foot under the side stand.

It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.