The Rear Suspension Pre-Load procedure

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
LK1LK1
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

The Rear Suspension Pre-Load procedure

Post by LK1LK1 »

This topic has probably been addressed a billion times, but here it is again. In all likelihood, I've experienced one of those "overthink" episodes where I'm just not reading pages 144-145 in the (model year 2005) GoldWing owner's manual.

Anyway, here's my topic and question: I want to set that pre-load for a softer ride, likely a 6 or 8 numerical position, and just keep that pre-load setting at all time. I usually ride alone and I don't carry much luggage. I'm at 180 pounds, and if I do have a passenger, she will be much lighter than me.

The question about arriving at a selected pre-load setting: The owner's manual clearly indicates that the bike must be on the center stand, stopped, transmission in neutral, and the key should be at the "On" or "ACC" position. Then, the simple pushing of the up or down switches to select a number. I've completed that once, setting at the lowest to "2." Then, I stored that into Memo 1. However, when attempting to adjust it a second time, there were no number settings appearing on the screen at all. I did take the bike for a highway ride, and the softer setting seemed to have worked. I just want to adjust it again, but no success.

So, am I doing this right? Should the bike actually be on the center stand and then the bike running in neutral, while I'm also seated on the bike? This is a dumb question, I know, but I must be incorrect on a "subsequent" setting procedure. Note: The "Call" feature, on page 145, was also a head scratcher! I just want to get a good setting, (ideally) 7 through 10 for both rider and passenger, and then ride and ride and ride ! Any assistance on the topic appreciated.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: The Rear Suspension Pre-Load procedure

Post by kwthom »

Neutral and not moving is the only way the actuator functions.

In addition, depending on how old (age/miles) is on the rear shock/spring, many riders feel nothing until the preload is in the teens.

My settings are 9 (1 up) and 15 (2 up)
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

I just adjusted my 2005 Rear Shock, today. I could raise and lower the shock settings without the engine running with the bike on center stand. I could also raise and lower the settings with engine running in neutral bike off center stand and me on it holding it up. Today, I followed Fred's video (not to the "T") to add more fluid and push the actuator piston down to get more fluid into the system. I did not remove the tank to do this. I did pull the right side saddle bag out just enough to get to the three bolts holding the actuator in and loosend the top three allen bolts about 1/8" and with everything upside down I took the banjo bolt off, used a small philips screwdriver to push the piston further and added SS8 Honda suspension fluid and put it all back together. Now the bike shock adjustment starts at Number 1. My only mistake was dropping one of the copper washers used on the banjo bolt and had to fish it off the floor before reassembly.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.
LK1LK1
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Post by LK1LK1 »

Success today with adjusting my pre-load settings. Fortunately, I didn't need to fiddle with the banjo bolt on the actuator itself. It seems that I simply need to "hold in" that "up" button for about 30 seconds, and then everything works.

My Wing has never had much cargo, and only a few lightweights as passengers, and has under 27-K on the odometer. The pre-load result: I've found that "sweet spot" with the pre-load setting. I now just leave it at number 15 for both rider and passenger.

And, unrelated: I also had success with the "QD" cleaner to unstick my driving-light button. Just a few squirts of the cleaner and the button then released. That (QD) cleaner is the good stuff for electrical and related buttons, safe on plastic, and it's obtainable at many locations including Home Depot.

Thanks for all of the great info from everyone on the pre-load settings/procedure and the dreaded "sticking button" situation !