Stuck In Gear?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
GrayDawg
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800P Lehman Trike

Stuck In Gear?

Post by GrayDawg »

I have an 2007 Goldwing 1800 (Trike) that has been sitting more than running the past year due to covid. Recently I went out to take a ride and couldn't put into neutral to start it. I always keep it in neutral when not running so don't know what's up. The last time I ran it was about a couple weeks earlier. I have tried rocking it forward and back, but still nothing and the reverse switch is not engaged. The battery seems to be ok and I have a battery tender attached. Any suggestions from anyone on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Stuck In Gear?

Post by Andy Cote »

Will it start with the clutch pulled in?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
GrayDawg
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800P Lehman Trike

Post by GrayDawg »

no, it will only start in neutral.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Time to check the clutch switch. It should start in gear with it pulled.
Just a guess but perhaps having a differential in a trike makes it hard to unload the driveshaft enough to get it to shift with the engine not running. Have you tried jacking it up in the back so the wheels are off the ground?
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

GrayDawg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:38 pm I have an 2007 Goldwing 1800 (Trike) that has been sitting more than running the past year due to covid. Recently I went out to take a ride and couldn't put into neutral to start it. I always keep it in neutral when not running so don't know what's up. The last time I ran it was about a couple weeks earlier. I have tried rocking it forward and back, but still nothing and the reverse switch is not engaged. The battery seems to be ok and I have a battery tender attached. Any suggestions from anyone on what to do will be greatly appreciated.
Did you use reverse to park it the last time it was running? Maybe it’s stuck in reverse. If it’s mechanically stuck in reverse, you will not be able to move the gear linkage up or down and could actual break something if you force it to move. Try engaging reverse with the key on and see if you get a reverse light.