2001 Turn signals

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
208wrenchman
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing Audio, Comfort, Nav, XM

2001 Turn signals

Post by 208wrenchman »

I have looked at many threads and saw that the culprit of many turn signal issues is the G2 grounding point under the fuel tank. I have something going on that is really making me hunt. When the left turn signal is activated it works as advertised, when the right is selected it the hazards light come on, the left side is dim than the right. I get both indicators in the dash only when the right is selected.

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: 2001 Turn signals

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:44 am I have looked at many threads and saw that the culprit of many turn signal issues is the G2 grounding point under the fuel tank. I have something going on that is really making me hunt. When the left turn signal is activated it works as advertised, when the right is selected it the hazards light come on, the left side is dim than the right. I get both indicators in the dash only when the right is selected.
A lot of strange signal issues are traced back to a bad ground connection under the seat in C15 for the 01-05 wings and C31 for the 06 and later models. It’s a gray 14 pin connector and the wire/connection at issue is the solid green wire passing through it. Make sure your hazard button switch is returning to the fully off/out position as well. Another possible culprit is any trailer wiring or converters you may have on it.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I pulled the seat and checked the green wire in that connector and found that the ground was good. I removed the front fairing and started going through the green and blue connectors and found that the left switch was not working correctly. Currently have new switch on order and will plug it into the bike prior to removing old switch and wiring.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:14 am I pulled the seat and checked the green wire in that connector and found that the ground was good. I removed the front fairing and started going through the green and blue connectors and found that the left switch was not working correctly. Currently have new switch on order and will plug it into the bike prior to removing old switch and wiring.
Ok, please keep us posted to the outcome.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

Got the new/used switch in today. Plugged it in and no change. So the trouble is in the bike itself. Wish me luck !
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:11 pm Got the new/used switch in today. Plugged it in and no change. So the trouble is in the bike itself. Wish me luck !
Ok, do you have any added lighting that’s tied to the signals? Trailer or accent lighting? The handlebar switch performs three functions when you push it left or right. 1. It closes the switch contacts for the turn signal pulsing power and routes it to the side you chose. 2. Another set of contacts connects tail light power to the opposite side position light in the front of the mirror from the side you selected. 3. A pair of contacts momentarily close to provide a ground circuit for the trigger of the cancel unit. Once the cancel unit activated, it provides the ground path for the flasher relay, or circuit board, dependent upon the model year(01-05 has a circuit board flasher assembly). Once the flasher relay starts cycling power, it runs back to the turn signal switch where it’s routed to the left or right side that you chose earlier. To have one side light, even a little when the opposite side is selected is almost always a ground issue between the two sides. Double check the gray connectors under your seat, there’s two of them with similar colored wires, but one has 12 wire locations and the other has 14. The one with 14 is usually the culprit, the other one supplies the lighting circuits and a few other things for the trunk and spoiler light. Another possible culprit is the turn signal diode that connects both sides together for the hazard function. If it has a leaky diode in it, you could get your symptom as well.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

The saga continues as I started troubleshooting from the RH terminal block and checking all the wires including the diode block. Checked cancel unit and turn signal relay. All checked good until I did the relay function check. Jumping blue/green wire to ground. turn on power and operate the turn signal switch. Turn signals are supposed to flash, they didn't. Pulled the relay and the diagram on the relay shows a diode between two terminals, I got continuity in one direction, switched the leads and got the same reading. This would make sense to me as the diode would be bleeding over as you stated. Crossed fingers and waiting for a part to come in.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:55 am The saga continues as I started troubleshooting from the RH terminal block and checking all the wires including the diode block. Checked cancel unit and turn signal relay. All checked good until I did the relay function check. Jumping blue/green wire to ground. turn on power and operate the turn signal switch. Turn signals are supposed to flash, they didn't. Pulled the relay and the diagram on the relay shows a diode between two terminals, I got continuity in one direction, switched the leads and got the same reading. This would make sense to me as the diode would be bleeding over as you stated. Crossed fingers and waiting for a part to come in.
I don’t think you have the correct relay for the flasher. The 2001-2005 wings have a circuit board mounted in the rear of the gauge assembly that acts as the flasher relay. The relay hanging up front in the rubber retainer is the position light relay. You can tell it from the 5 blades that it has. This was changed after the 05 model year to an actual flasher relay that plugs in. Be careful with this circuit, it’s very easy to make a wrong connection and kill the cancel unit which cost more than $150 these days and without it working, you have no turn signals at all.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

Thanks, just called the local Honda dealership and cancelled the first relay and got the circuit board relay instead. You saved me more headaches.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:30 pm Thanks, just called the local Honda dealership and cancelled the first relay and got the circuit board relay instead. You saved me more headaches.
Do the hazards flash? If yes, the culprit is not the relay board. The turn signals and the hazards both use the board/relay for their flashing power.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

Yes, the hazards do work. I checked them out by operating the switch and then by checked out the switch by multimeter. You have been a big help with this problem.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 am Yes, the hazards do work. I checked them out by operating the switch and then by checked out the switch by multimeter. You have been a big help with this problem.
You never said whether you have any trailer wiring or added lighting.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

Trailer wiring is added. I did not disconnect it. There was a setup for a Richland trike add on kit. I removed it as it tied into the gray connector under the seat. I will disconnect it tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I didn't get the trailer wiring removed. I had the 3 connectors to the combination meter removed and the 3 pin connector as well. I reinstalled them to see if anything had changed, crossing my fingers that maybe they fixed themselves. Just the opposite as I have lost the left turn signal and the hazards no longer work. When the left turn signal is selected the left light goes out and when the right is selected the right on goes out, no indicator lights up.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:13 am I didn't get the trailer wiring removed. I had the 3 connectors to the combination meter removed and the 3 pin connector as well. I reinstalled them to see if anything had changed, crossing my fingers that maybe they fixed themselves. Just the opposite as I have lost the left turn signal and the hazards no longer work. When the left turn signal is selected the left light goes out and when the right is selected the right on goes out, no indicator lights up.
Ok, so since the position light goes out when you select the left of right, that means the cancel unit is still ok. Maybe a bent pin in one of the connectors has shorted something. An issue at the three pin will kill both signals and hazards. Check the Accessory fuse as well.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I found the acc fuse bad and replaced it. Now I have hazards and no turn signals. I can hear the relay in the combination meter working when the hazards are working. The indicators do not light up and the signals do no change, but stay lit. I started out checking the cancel unit and not getting any continuity from the pink and the green/white wires. Also no horn.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:49 am I found the acc fuse bad and replaced it. Now I have hazards and no turn signals. I can hear the relay in the combination meter working when the hazards are working. The indicators do not light up and the signals do no change, but stay lit. I started out checking the cancel unit and not getting any continuity from the pink and the green/white wires. Also no horn.
Ok, sounds like you blew the horn/turn fuse. It’s not a good idea to test the cancel unit, it’s easy to kill. If the position light goes out on the side you select, this proves the cancel unit is working.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I was checking the cancel unit out per the manual with no power. I did find something odd though it says that I should have power on the white/green wire going to the cancel unit and have voltage on the blue/black wire. This is the 6 pin gray connector on the right hand side.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:31 pm I was checking the cancel unit out per the manual with no power. I did find something odd though it says that I should have power on the white/green wire going to the cancel unit and have voltage on the blue/black wire. This is the 6 pin gray connector on the right hand side.
Yes, you will only have power on the white/green wire if the horn/turn fuse is good and the key is on. Same for the blue/black wire. The blue/black wire will go low/close to ground when the cancel unit is activated, but will read high ~12V before the cancel unit is activated.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I found that I had placed the horn/turn fuse into the blank spot in the fuse block. I am back to square 1 with all the lights flash when the right side is selected.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:03 pm I found that I had placed the horn/turn fuse into the blank spot in the fuse block. I am back to square 1 with all the lights flash when the right side is selected.
Ok, if you’re sure it’s not a ground issue, then it’s a leaky/shorted diode in the hazard diode assembly. The diode keeps the pulsing power isolated to the side selected, but also routes the pulsing power to both sides in hazard mode. It’s basically two diodes in a box and if one is shorted it will allow the pulsing power from one side to get to the other side and create your symptom. I would first disconnect the trailer wiring and try it, because we don’t see the hazard diode fail very often.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I took the hazard diode out and put in a jumper wire. The turn signals worked as they should. When I pulled out the diode it had burn marks on the terminals. Not sure what caused it, but I will replace it.

Thank you for your time and patience with this old man. Without your help I couldn't have done this.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

208wrenchman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:16 am I took the hazard diode out and put in a jumper wire. The turn signals worked as they should. When I pulled out the diode it had burn marks on the terminals. Not sure what caused it, but I will replace it.

Thank you for your time and patience with this old man. Without your help I couldn't have done this.
Glad to help. The signals should work without it or a jumper installed. The hazards will not work without it. Make sure you get the correct part. The turn signal diode looks like this one, but has the opposite polarity and won’t function in it’s place. Does your trailer wiring include an isolator? If it doesn’t you should get one to keep from loading the bike’s system with the trailer lighting load. Excessive current to the trailer could have been the culprit.
208wrenchman

Post by 208wrenchman »

I am following what you are saying about the isolator. I tried switching the two diodes before with no results. I am taking the diode to the local Honda dealership this afternoon to see about getting one on order, probably don't have one in stock as it a small dealership. I think the problem came from some wires from the Richland trike kit that had some wires the were rubbed and shorted. He had several fuses blow including the turn signals. I am going to rewire the trike kit to include some protection from rubbing. Thanks again, now to get the dismantled bike back together and on the road.