Need Alternator

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Need Alternator

Post by 823JIM »

Alternator is dead, I am looking for replacement. I am leaning toward an OEM Honda one, have heard too many bad things about aftermarket ones.
Any advice on having one rebuilt or is new the way to go?
Or are there some good aftermarket ones?
Any idea on where to get best price on new one?

Trying to save a buck but don't want to go on the cheap and have more problems latter.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)

Jim King
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Need Alternator

Post by Techdude2000 »

823JIM wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:55 am Alternator is dead, I am looking for replacement. I am leaning toward an OEM Honda one, have heard too many bad things about aftermarket ones.

Trying to save a buck but don't want to go on the cheap and have more problems latter.
Make sure your cruise control fuse is not blown, it supplies the operational power to the regulator in the alternator. If the fuse is good, then I would go with a new OEM, 3rd party units are usually a disappointment in the long run and have been known to damage the engine on occasion. Mrcycles.com will have the best price.
823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM »

Techdude2000 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:16 pm
823JIM wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:55 am Alternator is dead, I am looking for replacement. I am leaning toward an OEM Honda one, have heard too many bad things about aftermarket ones.

Make sure your cruise control fuse is not blown, it supplies the operational power to the regulator in the alternator. If the fuse is good, then I would go with a new OEM, 3rd party units are usually a disappointment in the long run and have been known to damage the engine on occasion. Mrcycles.com will have the best price.
Thanks for the input "Techdude2000". I have checked fuse as suggested and fuse is good. I have since order new OEM one from "Ron Ayers.com" they have best price on new one that I could find (beat MRCycles by 10 bucks). Thanks again.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/ho ... 0-a-parts
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)

Jim King
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

823JIM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 am
Techdude2000 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks for the input "Techdude2000". I have checked fuse as suggested and fuse is good. I have since order new OEM one from "Ron Ayers.com" they have best price on new one that I could find (beat MRCycles by 10 bucks). Thanks again.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/ho ... 0-a-parts
Good to know, thanks for the update.