Loss of headlights

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
over60
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Loss of headlights

Post by over60 »

Every now and then I loose headlights. When cooled down I hit the starter switch and they come back on. My friend says they flicker sometimes then will stay on for the rest of the trip. Puzzled. Anyone else have same issue? If I take to dealer and they are working what will they do?
Thanks for any input.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Loss of headlights

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like the starter switch needs cleaning. It has a set of contacts to shut off the headlights while starting.
over60
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Post by over60 »

I have some electronic cleaner, would that do it?
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

When starting a 5th gen, the start button turns the headlamps off and the starter on. When you push in on the start switch to start it, pull back on it. You will probably find that you headlamps then work. If so, you then know that you have a bad start switch. However, there is another switch in your switch assembly that might be going bad too ... the kill switch. To test that, with the Wing on the center stand and running, tap the top of it. Then grab it with your fingers and rock it forward, then aft, then left and right. It should only kill the engine if it's rotated into the kill position.

In any case, those switches come as an entire assembly, and the switch assembly is still availbale. While you can still get one, I recommend that the switch assembly be replaced. If you have a 2003, it's part #2 in the fishe below.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon ... e-switch-1
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

over60 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 am I have some electronic cleaner, would that do it?
Yes as long as it’s plastic safe. Spray it into the top edge of the button and work it a bunch.
DelusionalM
Motorcycle: 2017 GL1800 goldwing

Post by DelusionalM »

On my 2007 I got in the habit of flicking the dimmer switch to high beam after starting. If the high beam indicator did not come on the headlights are not on, wiggle the start switch until the indicator came on and switch back to low beam and good to go. I cleaned the switches every other year but they never seemed to be dependable after the first year so I always double checked.

I fixed the problem by driving the low beam relay off the head light adjust relay which is driven by oil pressure. ( if it has oil pressure it has low beam )

My 2017 also suffered the same intermittent problem even while under warranty. Honda said 'unable to duplicate the problem'; I fixed the problem by running a wire from the oil psi switch to a mosfet that drives the low beam relay. ( If it has oil PSI it has low beam)

You can attach the MOSFET right to the side of the appropriate relay holder and shove the whole thing up in the original case. *would you believe I never took a pic of that?*