Pulse Generator Error code 19.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Fuzzyt
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Pulse Generator Error code 19.

Post by Fuzzyt »

I have experienced this failure 3 times since April. the bike will just crank, then the F1 light comes on long then I get 9 short blinks. Code 19, Pulse Generator failure. May take a few hours but then the bike will start and run fine. I will order up a new PG but my question is this: If the bike fails to start and gives the error, would I be able to push start it ? Thanks for any input / info y'all might have. . .
FT

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: Pulse Generator Error code 19.

Post by AZgl1800 »

push starting a 900 lb bike is not for the faint of heart, if it did start, it would be gone and you would be on the ground
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Fuzzyt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 pm I have experienced this failure 3 times since April. the bike will just crank, then the F1 light comes on long then I get 9 short blinks. Code 19, Pulse Generator failure. May take a few hours but then the bike will start and run fine. I will order up a new PG but my question is this: If the bike fails to start and gives the error, would I be able to push start it ? Thanks for any input / info y'all might have. . .
FT
Turning the engine over with the rear wheel will likely give the same result as turning it over with the starter. No sparks for the plugs until until PG cools off.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Fuzzyt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 pm I have experienced this failure 3 times since April. the bike will just crank, then the F1 light comes on long then I get 9 short blinks. Code 19, Pulse Generator failure. May take a few hours but then the bike will start and run fine. I will order up a new PG but my question is this: If the bike fails to start and gives the error, would I be able to push start it ? Thanks for any input / info y'all might have. . .
FT
No, if the ECM doesn’t see the CKP sensor pulses, it won’t start, period. Your issue could be oxidation in the harness plug for the sensor. If you don’t have ABS, pull the upper black cowl off of the front and trace the harness from the timing cover back to its plug to check for corrosion.
Fuzzyt

Post by Fuzzyt »

Thanks for the input gents. To clarify the push start, I would have had a couple of other riders available if it didn't start. I like techdudes post so my next step is to pull that cover and check that connection. If its good then I'll get a PG and replace. Bike is doing fine so far, I am not afraid to ride it but I know that I am pushing my luck. Stay tuned. . .
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

FT
While the crank position sensor faults, it shuts down the ignition and PGM-FI system.
BirdDogICT
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
1980 CX500

Post by BirdDogICT »

I feel your pain. I'm missing the Goldwingdocs trip to Wise, VA thanks to this problem. My bike ran fine last week, then suddenly developed this problem. It would crank, but no fuel pump, no spark. FI flashed code 19, so I knew it was the CKP Sensor (aka Pulse Generator or Cranshaft Position Sensor). BTW, I'm riding a 2010 GL1800HPNMA.

According to the Honda Shop Manual, testing required that I find the RED pulse generator connector, and test Peak Voltage, using the Honda Peak Voltage Adapter, part # 07HGJ-002100. However, this part is not available in the U.S., and the local Honda service manager wouldn't loan me his. So I decided to just replace the CKP Sensor without testing its peak voltage and continuity with the ECM, since the parts were only about $65.

I followed the manual's instructions, removing the front timing cover, top shelter, bottom fairing, center inside fairing, and airbox, expecting to find the connector in front of the airbox, as shown in the manual. BUT, the connector was not there...it was actually tucked up into the frame on the right side under the center inside fairing. So the minimum I really had to remove was the front timing cover, bottom fairing, and center inside fairing. So the Instructions in the manual are for bikes with ABS...the connector in bikes with ABS is on the left side of the airbox, next to the ABS actuators.

Anyway, I installed "Generator Assy, Pulse" Part # 30300-MCA-003 and "Front Cover Gasket" Part # 11524-MCA-010 and it started right up. The connector was clean, no signs of corrosion, but got a shot of contact cleaner anyway. My biggest aggravation was replacing the airbox... I had to remove the battery box and all the connections for the fuel tank so I could lift the front of the fuel tank to give me access to the crankcase breather hoses on the rear of the airbox, adding a couple of hours to what should have been a simple job.

Oddly enough, a check for continuity on the old and new CKP sensors showed a resistance of 526 ohms. I can't say what the resistance on the old sensor would be under different temperatures, but I understand that a CKP sensor failure tends to be intermittent until it becomes permanent. The old sensor is going in the trash.

I invested $25 in a VMA adapter from Amazon so I can check peak voltage next time I have a failure. Should save a lot of trouble.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Re: Pulse Generator Error code 19. Again?

Post by Nightwing93 »

Sooo.... I think that this is my problem.
2014 GL spins over but won't start. A couple of times I thought I counted one long and 9 short on the MIL light.
But it only did that a couple of times and now I can't get it to flash again. I did change batteries just to be
sure it wasn't that. I'm wondering where the Pulse Generator is on this bike? I'm hoping it didn't clear the code.
Any help would be appreciated.
Techdude2000

Re: Pulse Generator Error code 19. Again?

Post by Techdude2000 »

Nightwing93 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:15 pm Sooo.... I think that this is my problem.
2014 GL spins over but won't start. A couple of times I thought I counted one long and 9 short on the MIL light.
But it only did that a couple of times and now I can't get it to flash again. I did change batteries just to be
sure it wasn't that. I'm wondering where the Pulse Generator is on this bike? I'm hoping it didn't clear the code.
Any help would be appreciated.
It’s mounted to the inside of the large timing cover on the front of the motor above the lower cowl and it’s harness exits the motor at the top of the cover.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

Ok thanks, I think I'm going to dive in and change it myself.
But if that's not my problem, I'm wondering where the crank sensor is, tried to find it on Wingstuff microfish but couldn't...

Jim
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Nightwing93 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm Ok thanks, I think I'm going to dive in and change it myself.
But if that's not my problem, I'm wondering where the crank sensor is, tried to find it on Wingstuff microfish but couldn't...

Jim
It’s on the Front Cover/Transmission Cover diagram. I believe it will be item #10. Mrcycles.com probably has the best price. Don’t forget to order the gasket on the same diagram.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

Hey TechDude, where is the crank sensor located, I can't seem to find it.
Could that be the problem as well?
Thanks...
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Nightwing93 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:14 am Hey TechDude, where is the crank sensor located, I can't seem to find it.
Could that be the problem as well?
Thanks...
The 19 code is technically for the crankshaft position sensor, aka pulse generator. The crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor are both pulse generators. Basically, all crankshaft position sensors are pulse generators, that’s how they work and their Honda name is position sensor.
Last edited by Techdude2000 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

Oh ok...thanks man...(i'm getting a real eger-cayshun here... ;) )
Fuzzyt

Re: Pulse Generator Error code 19. Update. . .

Post by Fuzzyt »

I finally replaced the Pulse Generator last nite. Hardest part of the job was taking off then putting back on the lower and upper cowls. The timing cover came off without to much persuasion, the sensor itself is hardpoint located on the back of the cover so you can't get it wrong when replacing and the gasket surfaces cleaned right up for the new gasket. The connector was clean, no signs of corrosion and since my wing doesn't have ABS, the connector was right there on the upper right side looking at the front of the bike. I did have to slice the sleeve a bit to get more access but I sealed it up with some shrink wrap. The bike fired right up and I tested it several times after that. This morning was my planned ride out to Flo's at Chino Airport and as I expected, the bike fired right up. I swear it actually seems to start quicker / better and even felt better on the road. I can't explain that, just the feel. So I now feel this problem is put to rest. I appreciate the replys I received, this forum is invaluable when it comes to information / help / advice. I hope this post helps others in the future and shows that regardless of the complexity of our beloved wings, there are more than a few things that you can tackle yourself.
Ride safe and long my friends.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

Ya FuzzyT, the hardest part was getting the big push pins to let loose of that upper inner cover. Is there somewhere to get some more other than mother Honda? I was surprised to see the connector right in front under that clear cover and like you I slit mine as well, but not too much, to get to the red plug. I'm still waiting for the gasket, but I didn't damage the old one and so I buttoned everything up just to see if it leaked. After riding it for an hour I didn't see much at all. I got a short ride to lunch down to the Black Sands Resort on Hwy 78 here in Idaho. I'll keep an eye on it. But when the new gasket shows up I'll replace it. I saw a vid of a guy who was too intimidated to try replacing the sensor and spent $600 to have the air cleaner and the Pulse Generator replaced. Wow! :roll: Could have helped him out if I lived closer...
Anyway ride safe...
Jim
plesaint
Motorcycle: 2010 goldwing

Post by plesaint »

I know this is an old thread but any help is appreciated. 2010 gl1800 no ABS. I have the upper cowel off and can see the wire behind a lot of stuff but can't see the clear cover you all are talking about to get to the connector. Any help is appreciated.
Nightwing93
2001 GL1800

Post by Nightwing93 »

When you say "upper Cowl", are you refering to the cowl above the headlights?
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

plesaint wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:35 pm I know this is an old thread but any help is appreciated. 2010 gl1800 no ABS. I have the upper cowel off and can see the wire behind a lot of stuff but can't see the clear cover you all are talking about to get to the connector. Any help is appreciated.
The upper cowl is the black one behind the front wheel. The lower cowl is the one that surrounds the fog lights. The boot is tucked back and hard to see or reach due to the coil assembly being in the way. Follow the wire harness from the top of the cam cover and you will find it and the plug on its end.
plesaint

Post by plesaint »

So I took down the 2 spark plug wires and was able to see where the wire goes into the boot. Need to trip the boot back a little so I will do that tomorrow. thanks so much.
plesaint

Post by plesaint »

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

So this was my solution to get to the connector. Appreciate everyone's help.