new noise

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
muddy 456
Motorcycle: 2013 f6b

new noise

Post by muddy 456 »

Hello , I have a 2013 f6b. When ridding I will hear a sound like a rock that got kicked up and rolled around the fender, so thinking no problem. Sitting at a stop the fan came on and I heard the sound again. I have checked by looking and listening at the fan when it started, nothing, but the fan was blowing out to the forks is that normal? No leaks, temp is all good. Do I need to explore more? thanks.

shrubbo
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800 Valkyrie

Re: new noise

Post by shrubbo »

The fan blowing forwards is normal, my 2014 Valkyrie and my 2012 Goldwing both do it. It is appreciated on stinking hot days stuck at the lights.

Anyway I have had a very similar sound on my 2014 Valkyrie. A piece of bone had flown up and smashed through the guard around the fan. It would sit there and do nothing until the fan started up and then it sounded like what you are describing. I could not see it at all until I pulled the side off and spotted it down the bottom of the damn thing.

Yes I highly recommend exploring. If it is the same as mine the fan will be damaged eventually or it will find its own way out. Perhaps trying to dig through the radiator and if it isn't that you should keep looking anyway but your description sure did ring a bell with me..
muddy 456
Motorcycle: 2013 f6b

Re: new noise

Post by muddy 456 »

Thanks that was helpful. strange since I posted I have not heard the sound again.