2007 GL1800p No Dash Lights No Gauges, no fog lights no running taillights, everything else works fine

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
roypow
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800p premium audio Goldwing

2007 GL1800p No Dash Lights No Gauges, no fog lights no running taillights, everything else works fine

Post by roypow »

I have Neutral green light on dash and that's it, I replaced all fuses in fuse box, I checked all relays under the seat, I reseated the 2 connectors on the dash meter cluster, I saw the temp and gas gauge flicker after I pushed the connectors, then I reseated the 2 connectors again now no movement, just wondering if the ignition switch is bad or are there more relays and fuses some where behind the fuse box etc...not sure what to do now...help would be greatly appreciated...

sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 -sold
1977 Suzuki GS 750 - sold
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Re: 2007 GL1800p No Dash Lights No Gauges, no fog lights no running taillights, everything else works fine

Post by sczinege »

Hi. Not sure if this will help you. I have a 97 GL1500 with exactly the same symptoms as your 1800. It was the relay. it was #3 on my bike. Second time it happened. I believe the relay was marked as Tail main or something similar. One way to verify if it is the relay is to swap it with one you know is working.That relay controls everything you said is not working. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Keep the rubber side down - Steve
roypow

Re: 2007 GL1800p No Dash Lights No Gauges, no fog lights no running taillights, everything else works fine

Post by roypow »

Thanks Steve I will give it a try by swapping the relay with a working relay...
sczinege
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

You are welcome. Hopefully it will be as easy a fix as that. Keep your fingers crossed.
roypow

Post by roypow »

Good morning does anyone know how I can get these two stripped bolts removed so I can remove the ignition switch Looks like the previous owner may have strip the bolts
Attachments

2007GL 1800 ignition switchBolts strippedBolts stripped
2007GL 1800 ignition switchBolts strippedBolts stripped

GL 1800 ignition switch Bolts stripped
GL 1800 ignition switch Bolts stripped

sczinege
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

That is a problem! this is just FYI. Replaced the ignition switch on my 97 1500. The bolts that held the switch in were break off bolts. Once the switch is installed with new bolts you tighten them till you twist the head off. The head that twists off is designed to do exactly that. It actually is like an extension of the main bolt body. Once it breaks off there is nothing to put a wrench or socket on the remaining head. Honda designed it like that so anyone wishing to steal the bike can't remove the ignition switch. Good idea till you want to replace the switch! Only way to remove those bolts is with a sharp cold chisel and a hammer and a fair amount of violence. You would not be trying to chisel the head off . Not possible . You would be trying to chisel a good notch or bite into the edge of the head to try to break it loose. It is possible. Not much room and hard on the knuckles and hands.
So yours are stripped so option 1 is chisel and hammer [ I believe that info came from my repair manual for replacing the ignition switch ]
Option 2 is to have someone possibly weld a nut on them so you could use a socket.
Best of luck.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

roypow wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:52 am Good morning does anyone know how I can get these two stripped bolts removed so I can remove the ignition switch Looks like the previous owner may have strip the bolts
I replied yesterday to your post on a different board about this issue. It’s not the ignition switch if the horn blows and the engine runs. You need to check your tail light relay and fuse. If they are good, then you have a power issue with C25 in the harness just in front of the relay bank under the seat. It takes the power from the tail light relay and distributes it to all your dead circuits on the brown/white wires. A simple 12V test light will help you track down where the power is missing in this circuit. I posted the schematics on the other board as well.
roypow

Post by roypow »

Thanks I went out and purchased the IDEAL 61-347 digital multimeter today and the electric connector cleaner from the honda dealership so I plan to start cleaning the connector contacts and testing the wires at C25 connector in front of the relay bank under the seat...thanks for this valuable information...
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

roypow wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:24 pm Thanks I went out and purchased the IDEAL 61-347 digital multimeter today and the electric connector cleaner from the honda dealership so I plan to start cleaning the connector contacts and testing the wires at C25 connector in front of the relay bank under the seat...thanks for this valuable information...
Ok, one of the brown/white wires brings the power from the tail light relay and then it splits out to the other brown/white wires. The cap of C25, it’s blue, acts a shorting bar for 4 separate system circuits, the tail light circuit being one of them. You might find it discolored at the largest gauge brown/white wire, this will be the supply wire from the relay and if the connector’s blades are damaged very much, you will need to cut all of the brown/white wires off and strip and solder them all together. Don’t mess with the other colored wires in it, they are for other circuits that have nothing to do with your symptoms. Cleaning this connector usually doesn’t help once it gets bad enough to disconnect one of the branch circuits.
roypow

Post by roypow »

I decided to replace the air filter since i have removed the shelf and once i removed the the ECU and air filter cover i see 2 connectors at the top of the air filter but I don’t know what they control and I could unplug them does anyone know what these 2 connectors are snd how to disconnect them
Attachments

2 connectors at the top of the air filter
2 connectors at the top of the air filter